IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 08:56 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I have decided to go and re-engage with the dealer tomorrow morning armed with some information collected here and don't intend to take the "it's just a buildup of brake dust" answer from the tech in the service department but will escalate to the SM, GM or the regional rep as needed. It's unfortunate, but I think new replacement wheels of BBS manufacture will only result in the same issue 5k miles down the pike unless the pads are changed to a less corrosive formulation or someone else refinishes the wheels.

Any last minute facts that you think would be good to have in my hip pocket? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-09, 10:08 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i let them know how many lexus i owned and never had any problems etc.
2004 SC430
2005 LS430
2005 SC430
2008 LS460L
2008 Is-F then they sent someone from lexus; took pics and called saying there were replacing all four rims.
Old 10-22-09, 06:58 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i called lexus up and complained about the issue and they said it all depends on the dealerships since they are all privately owned.
Old 10-22-09, 07:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
i called lexus up and complained about the issue and they said it all depends on the dealerships since they are all privately owned.
Not really true. If there's a warranty claim and it's approved, the approving authority is Lexus. The dealer gets reimbursed by Lexus, he doesn't take any warranty costs in his shorts. If a customer is not satisfied by a dealer's non acceptance, he can request to see the Lexus area supervisor for arbitration.

Lou
Old 10-24-09, 06:34 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

I took the car in yesterday and at least my claim wasn't dismissed out of pocket. They took pictures of the damage, said they'd send them to Lexus corporate for adjudication and returned the car spic 'n' span. I felt slightly better because their breakfast goodies and coffee were a nice treat too.

If the claim is approved and they decide to replace the wheels, what can I do to prevent the same thing from happening in the future? Clean the wheels after every drive? Coat the wheels with vaseline or wax them often? Replace the brake pads with a different formulation?

I wonder if BBS and/or Brembo is aware of the issue?
Old 10-24-09, 08:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I wipe mine down with an old white sock after every drive

Lou
Old 10-24-09, 12:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^I wipe mine down with an old white sock after every drive

Lou
So now your stuck with dirty white socks after each drive.. ?? !!

Joe Z
Old 10-24-09, 01:40 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer called back saying the service manager is willing to do a one-time refinishing of the two front wheels. What do you guys think and I wonder what "refinishing" means? I can see being reduced to wiping down the wheels after every drive.

I may just decline the offer and see where it takes me.
Old 10-24-09, 04:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
So now your stuck with dirty white socks after each drive.. ?? !!

Joe Z
Yep

Lou
Attached Thumbnails '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting-img_0096.jpg  
Old 10-24-09, 04:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yep

Lou
Priceless!!!!

Try this:

Product Description
Everyday your wheels are fighting a battle against road grime, brake dust, tar, salt, moisture and so much more. Give your wheels a cleaning, valuable protection, add more shine and make future cleanings easier with Wheel Wax. Apply this product to your wheels just like you would a wax by buffing it on, let it haze and then remove it with a clean microfiber towel. You now have a micro thin layer of protection that will help prevent contaminates from building up on your wheel. The contamination has a more difficult time sticking to this micro thin barrier of protection, which makes it harder for contaminates to accumulate and it's easier to clean. The cleaning properties simultaneously help loosen and remove contaminates on the wheel as well. Keep your wheels looking their best for longer with Wheel Wax.
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-24-09 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 05:01 PM
rutiger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my fronts are starting to do it too. i don't plan on complaining to the dealership as i know how that would end up (them saying no, me saying f you guys, and then continue to drive around with pitted wheels). i figure i'll skip those first two steps and just live with number 3. maybe if they get bad enough i'll get them painted black.
Old 10-24-09, 05:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

So has anyone had success in removing the brake dust that appears to be pitted on? It would be nice to get the wheels as clean as possible before applying wheel wax in hopes that helps some.
Old 10-24-09, 07:01 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i examined my front wheels and found very mild pitting at the corners. there are actually tiny metal specks along with black dust stuck at the corners. i am not sure wiping it down would be a good idea, that might cause more scratches over time. maybe a nice soft brush would work better?

many years ago i had a set cheap aftermarket wheels on a nissan sentra. the pitting from brake dust was so bad that one could see it from 10-20 ft away. i can almost see the same thing with my F few years down the road.
Old 10-24-09, 10:11 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these brake pads are just stupid.
Old 10-26-09, 05:59 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

count me in on the list to lexus corporate

5. Pitting on all 4 tires, with only about 7k miles on the car, Wash the car weekly scrubbing those rims like a mad man...Still no use pitting accuring on various corners on the front rims, starting to develop in the rear...

Going to that wheel max a try on my new rims though...

Quick Reply: '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting