IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 08:54 AM
FChampOH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refinishing the wheels isn't the answer. The OE brake pads are the problem. The OE brake pads have a high metallic content and the hot brake dust (and metal content) coming off of the brake pads builds up in the corner of the spokes on the front side of the wheel over time. The fix is to put some elbow grease and claybar in to cleaning it and switch a brake pad like Hawk that uses less metal and more carbon. I can tell you that i have personally cleaned the ISF wheels with claybar with great success. I'm pretty sure Lexus will listen if we offer helpful suggestions rather than sue them.

Last edited by FChampOH; 11-06-09 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 11:26 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it needs more than just frequent washings, i joined a monthly car wash, get my car cleaned every 2-3 days just to prevent further pitting.

the ingredients and amount of brake dust cakes on and eats away, if we complain, maybe lexus will choose different brake pads in the future at least. my guess is they didn't expect this to happen and will adjust if taken seriously.

i doubt they will replace everyone's wheels since it doesn't fix the underlying issue. it's better to change the pads if possible.
Old 11-06-09, 02:24 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

seriously i understand the cost involved in replacing wheels for all the F's...But Lexus should handle this matter in a different way instead of telling all the customers that these wheels needs to be washed more frequently.
Old 11-06-09, 03:03 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we all need to come together and start a suit.
Old 11-07-09, 03:52 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FChampOH
I'm pretty sure Lexus will listen if we offer helpful suggestions rather than sue them.
I respectfully disagree. Lexus won't take any constructive criticism or, if they do, it won't be applied retroactively back to us folks with the '08 issue who have attempted to make them aware. Why would they? Customer "satisfaction"? They have proven to me that they aren't as magnanimous (noble) as their advertising would indicate.
Old 11-08-09, 12:44 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
dealer told me i should wax the wheels like the paint and it was my fault, then they replaced all four wheels now they are perfect and honestly they are way better!
Wax the inside of the wheels too?
Old 11-09-09, 01:09 AM
A03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by malujerry
it needs more than just frequent washings, i joined a monthly car wash, get my car cleaned every 2-3 days just to prevent further pitting.

the ingredients and amount of brake dust cakes on and eats away, if we complain, maybe lexus will choose different brake pads in the future at least. my guess is they didn't expect this to happen and will adjust if taken seriously.

i doubt they will replace everyone's wheels since it doesn't fix the underlying issue. it's better to change the pads if possible.
Every 2-3 days? Seriously? WTF!! I really don't think it's necessity that we have to or any F owners have to deal with this B.S..
I'm cleaning out the rims every 2-3 days even on the cold weather now..
My hands are chapped..Believe it or not I do have crazy tolerance to cold weather..Anyway I think much as I like the F, this will be the Last Lexus for me.
Old 11-09-09, 02:23 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly, all high performance cars have high friction brake pads and they produce an insane amount of brake dusts (Except ceramic brakes).

I do agree with other poster by logging the brake dust and squealing complaints every time you bring the car in the dealer. While there's nothing they can fix, it may bring enough attention to Lexus to modify the pad compounds down the road. The down side is less initial bite on "less dust" pads.

Originally Posted by A03
Every 2-3 days? Seriously? WTF!! I really don't think it's necessity that we have to or any F owners have to deal with this B.S..
My hands are chapped..Believe it or not I do have crazy tolerance to cold weather..Anyway I think much as I like the F, this will be the Last Lexus for me.
Old 11-09-09, 05:00 PM
ni8done
Driver

25 minutes of my life wasted. Lexus HQ called me and are only approving the 4 wheels to be refinished by a outside company! WTF 9,000 miles and stuck with ****ty pitted wheels!

They said its lack of maintenance and due to the fact we have high performance brakes they have to be cared for differently! I then lost my cool and said FAX ME LEXUS'S DISCLOSURE WARNING ISF CUSTOMERS THAT WE NEED TO DO THIS OR ELSE ARE WHEEL COULD BE DAMAGED. She replied " we don't have one " F*** that then your replacing them!!!

They stated that no one has had there wheels replaced in the eastern region! She said i can contact Lexus's arbitration unit im sure another bunch of hand jobs! ( callin them tomm )

UUGGHH soo done with Lexus!
Old 11-09-09, 08:51 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are BMW m3 owners having the same issue? Or rs4 owners?
Old 11-10-09, 12:43 AM
jt808
Driver

Originally Posted by lx470man
Are BMW m3 owners having the same issue? Or rs4 owners?
I have a C63 AMG and the wheels are a breeze to clean...even after two weeks ! I certainly don't have time to clean my wheels every time I drive it. I know that factory reps frequent other respective car enthusiast websites. Where are the Lexus ones?
Old 11-10-09, 12:15 PM
ni8done
Driver

Fu** Lexus

They don't care about there customers like Audi and BMW and Infiniti and I CAN vouch for that!! Infiniti replaced a bent 19inch rim under warranty on my 07 M45 Sport!!

The life-less woman I spoke to at Lexus H.Q told me " WE DONT FOLLOW THE FORUMS! " when I told her about the issues plenty of other IS-F owners were having

Im seriously done, after that phone call! 4 weeks this has been going on!

Last edited by ni8done; 11-10-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 01:36 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ni8done
They stated that no one has had there wheels replaced in the eastern region! She said i can contact Lexus's arbitration unit im sure another bunch of hand jobs! ( callin them tomm )

UUGGHH soo done with Lexus!
Who cares about singling out the Eastern Region as a basis for making a statement like that. This is a nationwide issue and the different regions need to be talking to one another!

Please let us know of the Lexus arbitration unit phone number so I can follow up.

In the mean time, I've ordered Carbotech 1521 brakes, they should be here tomorrow, and after they've been installed I will proceed from there.
Old 11-10-09, 03:08 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A03
Yup, I get it washed every 2-3 days and just apply hand wax monthly now.

Originally Posted by ni8done
The life-less woman I spoke to at Lexus H.Q told me " WE DONT FOLLOW THE FORUMS! " when I told her about the issues plenty of other IS-F owners were having
they'll have to follow a suit if enough owners pushed it.
Old 11-10-09, 10:57 PM
A03
Driver School Candidate

Once a week on wax for me!!

Quick Reply: '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting