IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Didn't think I would... but I did.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 02:14 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I've had Japanese cars all my life and the lack of a manual gearbox in the GT-R simply didn't cut it for me. I wouldn't trade this gated boot for anything in the world, except the DSS in the IS F. It's so satisfying. You have a nice ride nonetheless, and you're also faster than I am! Haha.
haha yeah...hopefully in the future I'll pick up the V8 5.2 V10... I used to own a few BMW's and the Germans know how to make some nice handling cars!
Old 09-30-09, 02:30 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pickup! The R8's are sharp looking cars
Old 09-30-09, 02:32 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha yeah...hopefully in the future I'll pick up the V8 5.2 V10... I used to own a few BMW's and the Germans know how to make some nice handling cars!
I test-drove the V10 and it was a bit disappointing! Obviously not worth the nearly $50k markup for the 5.2 and very minimal aesthetic differences. The power gains are enormous but how it gets to the pavement hasn't changed and thus you only gain .2-.3 seconds in the 0-60.
Old 09-30-09, 05:29 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Scared the crap out of myself on the way home. It's been a long time since I've driven stick and almost forgot to shift up a gear whilst accelerating... while I was fumbling around I almost flew right through a red light at an intersection. Stopped just in time, though. Phew.

Lots of gawking and questions. Put some gas in it for the first time tonight and spent almost an hour allowing people to take pictures and ask questions. I almost felt like a rockstar.
Old 09-30-09, 05:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Absolutely stunning!
Old 09-30-09, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Scared the crap out of myself on the way home. It's been a long time since I've driven stick and almost forgot to shift up a gear whilst accelerating... while I was fumbling around I almost flew right through a red light at an intersection. Stopped just in time, though. Phew.

Lots of gawking and questions. Put some gas in it for the first time tonight and spent almost an hour allowing people to take pictures and ask questions. I almost felt like a rockstar.
haha not trying to be mean but maybe that's why a powerful car like this should be for people with more experience i thought driving stick is like riding a bicycle, might be rusty, but can't forget.

but then again, i am not good enough to drive an exotic car yet, lol... i am still drooling over your car!
Old 09-30-09, 06:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SICK!!!! Have fun with it
Old 09-30-09, 06:06 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by rominl
haha not trying to be mean but maybe that's why a powerful car like this should be for people with more experience i thought driving stick is like riding a bicycle, might be rusty, but can't forget.

but then again, i am not good enough to drive an exotic car yet, lol... i am still drooling over your car!
I have some experience driving stickshift on exotic automobiles seeing as my father has owned a few Ferrari. I find that driving stick is like riding a bicycle or heck, swimming - you just don't forget - but yeah, this was my first time in almost two years and I only have a year or so of experience prior to that driving stick and it was completely out of necessity. Needless to say, no matter how good you are, this thing takes some getting used to. It's a completely different experience. I've only stalled it once though and that was on a steep hill downtown - even hill-holder couldn't save me on that one, haha. Heck, about a block down from where I stopped to take the pics.

You might find this strange but driving a stickshift on a high-powered automobile is definitely easier than on a Civic or any other 5-speed. The torque basically does the work for you. The clutch engages so easily... it's so forgiving it's not even funny. I reckon a novice could do it. Getting it going isn't the hard part but exploiting the massive powerband this car has definitely takes some getting used to... you really need to know an exotic well to get the most out of it without putting unnecessary strain on it.
Old 09-30-09, 06:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I have some experience driving stickshift on exotic automobiles seeing as my father has owned a few Ferrari. I find that driving stick is like riding a bicycle or heck, swimming - you just don't forget - but yeah, this was my first time in almost two years and I only have a year or so of experience prior to that driving stick and it was completely out of necessity. Needless to say, no matter how good you are, this thing takes some getting used to. It's a completely different experience. I've only stalled it once though and that was on a steep hill downtown - even hill-holder couldn't save me on that one, haha. Heck, about a block down from where I stopped to take the pics.

You might find this strange but driving a stickshift on a high-powered automobile is definitely easier than on a Civic or any other 5-speed. The torque basically does the work for you. The clutch engages so easily... it's so forgiving it's not even funny. I reckon a novice could do it. Getting it going isn't the hard part but exploiting the massive powerband this car has definitely takes some getting used to... you really need to know an exotic well to get the most out of it without putting unnecessary strain on it.
yup, most definitely. getting on the m3 has been a breeze for me. cars with larger tq makes driving stick easy. making it smooth is always another story of course
Old 09-30-09, 07:05 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Money Money Money.
Old 09-30-09, 07:06 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Somehow I doubt you can have as much fun in this as in the IS-F...
Old 09-30-09, 07:10 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
Somehow I doubt you can have as much fun in this as in the IS-F...
You definitely have to be a little more careful as everything is 10x as expensive to repair. Granted, it's more of a cruising, looking cool car than anything else but that's not what I bought it for. I have bought a set of winter tires and I shall be testing it over the winter when the weather is reasonably fair and the corrosive rock salt on the streets is at a minimum.
Old 09-30-09, 07:24 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn.. nice!! one of my favorite ride!!
Old 09-30-09, 07:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely have to be a little more careful as everything is 10x as expensive to repair. Granted, it's more of a cruising, looking cool car than anything else but that's not what I bought it for. I have bought a set of winter tires and I shall be testing it over the winter when the weather is reasonably fair and the corrosive rock salt on the streets is at a minimum.
Congrats on the beautiful new ride.

But huh???

You sat there and criticized the F for it's winter driveability, but yet you're going to drive this year round? But while it is beautiful to look at....I guess it's a little underpowered for the pricetag.
Old 09-30-09, 07:59 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Congrats on the beautiful new ride.

But huh???

You sat there and criticized the F for it's winter driveability, but yet you're going to drive this year round? But while it is beautiful to look at....I guess it's a little underpowered for the pricetag.
The difference is that the R8 has AWD and is actually quite driveable in the winter. I have several acquaintances who own R8s and drive them year-round no problems. Mind you, I'll only be taking it out when there's a clear, sunny day - not when there's a blizzard out. I definitely wouldn't consider it daily-driveable as sometimes you feel as if your *** is being dragged around on the pavement, especially on the highway. It's low.

While I have to agree that it is a bit underpowered for the price, you really have to try this thing on the track. It's truly astonishing. It's also reasonably luxurious and it's eye-candy to say the least. I find it to be more a of premium grand tourer in the likes of a Maserati or a similarly priced M6... it's definitely throaty, though.

Last edited by FisforFast; 09-30-09 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Didn't think I would... but I did.