Good news for those looking for an LSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 06:02 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good news for those looking for an LSD

From the latest Option magazine:

Cusco has told us they will be releasing US pricing very soon. They told me to expect a price around $2000. As you can see above there are three options; RS, MZ and Hybrid. The Hybrid has the least pre-load and is only available as a 1-way with very progressive lockup. The RS has more preload, a more aggressive lockup and is available in 1 and 2 way. The MZ uses a slightly different design to create even more preload and it is also available in 1 and 2 way.

I'll be posting more information later, but I want to keep the community as up-to-date as possible. I know some are considering trading their cars in to take advantage of the factory LSD and I feel this would be a good option to consider.

-Patrick
Old 09-30-09, 06:21 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please pm me pricing when available. I want it.
Old 09-30-09, 08:08 PM
anson89
Driver

I like!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-09, 09:04 PM
MAV3556
Driver School Candidate

Can you give us a little more information on how the Cusco LSD would affect the performance of the IS-F? and how do you think the CUSCO LSD's would compare to the new 2010 LSD?
Old 10-01-09, 10:10 AM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

Pricing has just been released:
RS - $1910
MZ - $1860
Hybrid - $1910

I'll be working on a full rundown of the different options soon.

-Patrick
Old 10-01-09, 12:23 PM
luciush
Driver

are you going to start up a group by?

Old 10-01-09, 02:26 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

Cusco has some nice information to differentiate their Type-RS and Type-MZ differentials at their website here. It's well worth taking the time to look that over.

LSD's are somewhat complicated both in design and in function, so please feel free to ask questions if any part of my explanation is not easily understandable or coherent.

All of Cusco's LSD's are clutch-type. The clutches limit slip by creating friction when a wheel slips. When the car is standing still or coasting the clutches are pushed together by springs. The amount of pressure the springs create is called pre-load. Too little pre-load could allow slip in certain situations and too much pre-load can create unnecessary wear and chatter.

When torque is applied, special plates transfer more pressure to the clutch plates. In a 2-way LSD, the plates apply pressure during both acceleration and deceleration. This can aid stability during turn-in as well as when applying power. In a 1-way LSD, the plate only applies this pressure when the car is accelerating. This allows the car to have quicker turn-in. Your driving style, needs and goals will determine which option is best for you.

The option I would expect to fit most IS-F drivers the best is the "Hybrid Diff." This LSD is only available in one way with a very low pre-load. It is designed specifically for cars with automatic transmissions. The Type-RS would be for those who are running sticky tires and increased power at the track but still need a streetable setup. The Type-MZ would be for those looking for the most locking possible for something like drifting or a track-only car.

-Patrick

Last edited by BulletproofAuto; 10-01-09 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-01-09, 02:55 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Are these clutch based LSD's require a new differential case housing for install or are they just simple drop in install?
Old 10-01-09, 05:13 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by luciush
are you going to start up a group by?

If there's enough interest, I would be happy to put a group buy together.

Originally Posted by ISF-88
Are these clutch based LSD's require a new differential case housing for install or are they just simple drop in install?
These LSD's are designed for use in the stock IS-F housing.

-Patrick
Old 10-01-09, 05:34 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it come with installation instructions?
Old 10-02-09, 10:45 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

No 1 1/2 way huh? Do they list the % lock up in each direction on the 2 way?
Old 10-02-09, 05:00 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
does it come with installation instructions?
No. This is not going to be quite as simple as most basic maintenance, but if you do want to tackle it yourself I would recommend finding a factory service manual. It may be expensive, but I've had one for all my cars and the investment has always been worth it.
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
No 1 1/2 way huh? Do they list the % lock up in each direction on the 2 way?
Cusco differentials have the ability to be rebuilt and tuned to a variety of settings. It only comes from the factory with the two options for simplicity's sake. They do not list the percentage of lock.

-Patrick
Old 10-06-09, 03:51 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

I've been talking with Cusco. If we can put in an order for 10 of these differentials, we can get a 2.5% break in price. With that in mind it doesn't look like a group buy is going to be doable. However, I definitely want to reward early adopters so if anyone is really interested in one of these differentials, give me a call and we can work on pricing.

-Patrick
Old 10-07-09, 12:27 AM
Christan
Driver

BulletproofAuto: How is the Cusco similar or different to the Torsen one being put in the 2010Fs? And has there been any fittings on current 08's/09s? If so how did those go?

Am interested to get LSD on my ride!
Old 10-08-09, 05:17 PM
BulletproofAuto
Former Vendor

To quote what I said in the other thread:
"The Torsen LSD is doesn't really limit slip. Instead, it biases torque based on traction. This is great unless until one wheel has a lower percentage of traction than the differential can distribute. Then a Torsen will act much like an open differential. Torsen's have some inherent benefits which are attractive to OEM's like very low maintenance and NVH. However, factory Torsens are often replaced in modified cars by clutch-type LSD's because they have many benefits of their own and have extremely high tolerance for abuse."

In simple terms, the Torsen is great for those who want to keep the rear end planted under acceleration and the Cusco is for those who want to do a little bit of steering with the rear of the car in a predictable way.

-Patrick

Quick Reply: Good news for those looking for an LSD