corner balancing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 06:48 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corner balancing....

well guys,

my new suspension set up is on and well i needed an alignment and corner balance. With my upcoming track event and new set up I got this done today. full interior with 3/4 tank. The car feels amazing......

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-01-09, 07:00 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Sweet. Number looks good. What weight reduction have you done?
Old 10-01-09, 07:05 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

lighter wheels and tires
lighter exhaust
Carbon Kevlar Cobra race seat
trunk gutted
Lighter suspension
Old 10-01-09, 08:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

where'd you get yours done chris?
Old 10-01-09, 08:45 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

ae performance

they do car prep.

about 300 bucks.
Old 10-02-09, 08:09 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Any pics of the seats?
Old 10-02-09, 08:47 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Does corner balancing make a difference on mainly a street driven car?
Old 10-02-09, 03:36 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

it can if you really are in tune with the car and the feeling. The car hardly gets driven on street. But the car feels really good. With the setup on my car the best way to feel the car is corner balancing. bad part is the cars wheel gap is not the same all around due to them raising and lowering it to preload and transfer weight.
Old 10-03-09, 07:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

What do you plan to do to offset the driver's weight?
Old 10-04-09, 12:47 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

this was the dry wieght when i started. its all done now. set up at 49.7% lateral weight with me in it came in at 3818.
Old 03-08-21, 11:59 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Necro thread revival:

Just had my Ohlins installed and was thinking about doing corner balancing with an alignment and just wanted some feedback from some members on their thoughts, experiences and if you think it's necessary for a mostly street driven vehicle, but that being said high speed stability is of paramount importance to me because ummm🤔 well I like to use my gauges to the fullest

Considering caster & camber are not adjustable on the 2IS platform and only toe is adjustable what can they really adjust other than setting the weight on each corner via adjustments through the coilovers?

There were a few threads on corner balancing but not too many on Club Lexus.

Thx
Old 03-08-21, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Corner balancing is never a bad idea. Usually it's more expensive than most people are willing to pay. But it really does fix a lot of problems with inconsistencies in your kit. It's not exactly easy with rubber bushings, it's pretty painstaking work if you have the OEM stuff on the car. If you have all poly or solid bushings, it's a lot easier because there are no phantom springs in the system. Ultimately, think of it this way, if you raised the car on the right front and left rear to the point the left front and right rear couldn't both touch the ground at the same time, you'd have some pretty challenging handling problems (unless you're running oval dirt track, but that's a different thing entirely) on the road or on a road course. Corner balancing is all about getting the weight distributed across the four wheels to maximize rubber on track at any given time because four tires grip better than three and three grip better than two. When you're driving into a corner, the outside front wheel is taking the lion's share of the load, and the rear wheel on the other side of the car wants to lift off the ground and lose all traction. So, with corner balancing, you're doing your best to keep all four tires in contact with the pavement because it's impossible to adjust spring preload and know what is really going on without putting the car on scales. Everyone who does chassis tuning has their own way of doing this. I pretty much agree with this guy because he knows how to win championships in production cars:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets11.html

Keep in mind, his focus is autocross and while there are similarities to street driving, just like dirt track, autocross has it's own weirdness in successful setups. You really have to decide for yourself what's good for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
MileHIFcar (03-08-21), minator (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 03:19 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response!..... was exactly what I was looking for, and yes corner balancing is expensive but I also just put on a high quality R&T suspension as well so I'll probably pony up the dough to make sure my car is optimized to the fullest for the Ohlins and their unique handling characteristics
Old 03-08-21, 03:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This is also a really important read: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets25.html

There's a ton of truth in what he says here. Honestly, we should be incredibly thankful we have two prime vendors in the US for bits we can install on our cars. And I can definitely vouch for buying "racecar" parts that were complete junk even when brand new. Glad we are not seeing much of that here. It's rampant on other platforms.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (03-09-21), MileHIFcar (03-08-21), minator (03-08-21), vraa (03-08-21)
Old 03-14-21, 09:50 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Thanks for the detailed response!..... was exactly what I was looking for, and yes corner balancing is expensive but I also just put on a high quality R&T suspension as well so I'll probably pony up the dough to make sure my car is optimized to the fullest for the Ohlins and their unique handling characteristics
This was my reasoning also...why not take advantage of the adjustment capabilities?
Expect to pay ~$100/hr for good alignment and corner balance. Took just over 3hrs for mine, and it so nice to have it dialed in now.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (03-14-21)

Quick Reply: corner balancing....