Opinion: Why to get an IS-F vs. E92 M3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 01:25 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamYoung
alot of good stuff
i'm glad this thread stayed positive, for the most part.

for those with an M3, or had one, how did the dealership treat you? when i go to any Lexus dealership, they always mention how much they love the F and take a few extra seconds to admire the car...

do the BMW dealership's service department care for the M3? or do they only gawk at the M6?
Old 10-14-09, 01:25 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I fancy a lot of Jeremy Clarkson's opinions, I would marry that man. He is unbiased, he doesn't mind saying for instance that a a Bristol Fighter is just an English car with an American engine and that it is utter rubbish.
he's a bit biased against Japanese cars though, esp his negative comments about F and GTR.
Old 10-14-09, 01:34 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
he's a bit biased against Japanese cars though, esp his negative comments about F and GTR.
I think we're just a bit butthurt because that's what we happen to like, because he emits a lot of negative comments about certain German cars and even British cars. He despises the Aston Martin DBS, and the Porsche Cayman S. They're both fantastic cars to our eyes, though. Would that be saying that he is biased against German and British cars? Not really.

But alas, back on topic.
Old 10-14-09, 01:51 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know... most people I know who own Bimmers are *****, even the girls and more specifically, my ex-girlfriend.
This is a great reason not to get an M3
Or if you see the otherside of the coin, this is a GREAT reason to get an M3.
Old 10-14-09, 03:07 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember the show about the GT-R where he loved the GT-R...LoL...not sure about the IS-F tho...
Old 10-14-09, 04:26 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
i'm glad this thread stayed positive, for the most part.

for those with an M3, or had one, how did the dealership treat you? when i go to any Lexus dealership, they always mention how much they love the F and take a few extra seconds to admire the car...

do the BMW dealership's service department care for the M3? or do they only gawk at the M6?
Sadly if you have an M3 they treat your car the same as a 328. Lexus customer service is worlds better.
Old 10-14-09, 07:30 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Sadly if you have an M3 they treat your car the same as a 328. Lexus customer service is worlds better.
That means you are going to the wrong dealership.
Old 10-14-09, 08:24 PM
amdave
Driver

When is the next gen. IS-F coming out?
Old 10-14-09, 08:58 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
a year or two after the 3rd gen IS come out...heh
Old 10-15-09, 11:01 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by amdave
Following the current Lexus model trend, two or three years at least. My auto guide has the model change planned for 2012. I'm guessing the model will only receive a minor facelift.
Old 10-15-09, 11:44 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Following the current Lexus model trend, two or three years at least. My auto guide has the model change planned for 2012. I'm guessing the model will only receive a minor facelift.
And hopefully a turbo
Old 10-15-09, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Lol! that's what Jeremy Clarkson said on Top Gear.
I've said this before and the actual comparison test of the F/M3/C63/RS4 in Top Gear magazine had the writer claim it was pretty much a tie but with his money, he would BUY the IS-F.

Some of the best praise I've ever read for a Lexus.

Old 10-15-09, 04:22 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
That means you are going to the wrong dealership.
then that means there are some really bad bmw dealerships, cuz many of the ones in so cal dont seem to really give a hoot about any of their cars that drive off the lot. lexus definitely has an undeniable advantage when it comes to customer service and the way it treats their clients.
Old 06-25-11, 07:44 AM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Question crossroads...

Originally Posted by malujerry
you're in the same boat as i was in... and i'm guessing like so many other IS-F owners. to buy the ISF and not even consider the M3, RS4, C32, etc would probably be consider a fanboy move.

but for me, here's how it went...

BMW m3: there were no sedans, so i drove the coupe. loved it. saw the sedan on the road later, didn't like it so much. but i wanted the "gold standard" and priced it out at many dealerships.

ISF was an accident. i received a $75 test drive offer from someone in my family. used it to drive the F, and was totally blown away - mostly because i wasn't expecting the performance from a lexus.

so the second most important factor to me was reliability. look, i'm not a race car driver. i work, am married, will have kids, etc. i'm 27 with better things to do than to run around like fast and furious - but at the same time am not trying to look slow and curious.

in the end, it came down to money. final price difference was over $15k between the M3 and ISF. the base M3 comes without leather and a spare tire. i mean really... how can a car be a daily driver without a spare tire? i don't care what people/dealers say, german cars are expensive after options.

regardless, i doubt you'll be unhappy with any of those options. bmw was giving a $7500 discount on their left over 08's last year. maybe the auto makers will do again this year, but good luck on finding that many 09 ISF's compared to leftover M3's...

OK...you all make a good case for Lexus & IS-F over a M3...you have me thinking seriously about "jumping ship", so to speak, as I am a dyed-in-the-wool German car FAN...LOVE 'em, everything about them (well almost, not the inflated $$$)...but hey, not many cars are worth what the company is aksing...Lexus included. For me, (and apparently, many others)...nothing under 100k handles like a Porsche...and BMW has long had this "magical" balance (literal 50/50, as far as weight in 3 series) ...between performance & comfort / utility with a steering "feel" second to NONE!
I have been driving a E46 3 series and LOVE it, have had NO problems up to 62k miles and would, in the near future get a E9x M3 ( but maybe wait to see what the next gen 3 has to offer???).
However, after reading THIS thread, with for the most part, very fair "treatment" of the M3 & BMW when compared to the IS-F...I have doubts?
You see, I have saved enough to comfortably buy outright (cash) either car...
however, I plan to baby the car, enjoy it YES, for sure, DRIVE 'em but not "track" the car, or beat it up. Long term ownership on a fixed income (retired)...
...so maintainence & repairs long-term is a BIG factor for me.
I hear/read about these horror stories about BMWs after warranty but it is ONLY people who have had issues that voice them on car forums...you do not hear from the bazillion that have had good experiences as I have had with my 3 series.
Also, Consumer guide ranked the E9x M3 as the #1 "sporty" car for RELIABILITY" ...with NO mention of the IS-F or ANY Lexus on the short list?
So....???
Help
Old 06-25-11, 07:56 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It is the rarest out of the four choices, 8 speed direct shift is sick, it sounds looks and is a monster, number 1 is customer service, very reliable, it says Lexus on the front, ha.

If I didn't get a F I would have bought the C63 over an M3 or RS4 any day. Lexus is the Japanese (reliable) BEnz!

Quick Reply: Opinion: Why to get an IS-F vs. E92 M3