IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Took the "F" to the Flashlight Drags today!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 06:41 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took the "F" to the Flashlight Drags today!!

I have to say, this thing did amazingly well! I had 2 passanges in the vehicle the entire time except for my final race and made it all the way to the final four in the "street class" I have to say I was VERY suprised by the power of some of the GTO's that were there, I NEVER expected them to give me a run for my money like they did! I had three losses all day so not to shabby. My first loss was to a mid 90's Corvette with a 383 Stroker motor in it and drag tires, second loss was to a first gen CTS-V which had the heads done, a cam, and headers with open exhaust, this one got me on the long end of the track by about 1 1/2 lengths, and my final loss causing me to land in 4th place was to a .... now get this..... a FORD RANGER... Really I ***** you not!!! This thing was SICK!!! 347 Stroker kit installed, and HUGE rear tires It was called "Rocket Ranger" on the tailgate, he whole shoted me like there was NO tomarrow!! By the time I shifted to second, he had me by 7 to 8 lenghts!! All in all had a hell of a day at the track! Was a great way to spend time with my father and wife thats for sure!
Old 10-10-09, 06:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like a great time... Its nice to hear the "F'' can pretty much keep up with built and stroked out engines.. The IS-F is no slouch... Nice runs..
Old 10-10-09, 06:54 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a day of fun

I wanna see that rocket ranger in action, sounds deadly
Old 10-10-09, 09:49 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats! lol! on the ranger u never would have thought!
Old 10-10-09, 10:58 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is it called the Flashlight drags? IS this on an actual race track?
Old 10-11-09, 04:36 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
Why is it called the Flashlight drags? IS this on an actual race track?
It was held at BeaverRun Race track, in Beaver Falls Pa, it was part of their Oktoberfest celebrations. You are started by a girl holding a flashlight, when she turns it on, and you go. (Funny side note to all of this, I had never done anything of the sort before, so the first race I was against a Escalade Caddy, and she turns on the light to go and I didn't know what that meant, he leaves and I just sit there like a complete ****! She looks at me and is like... Are you going to go? He was halfway down the track before I left and still caught and beat him..hahaha) The great part was it was all held on the road race course, so you come back on the track to line up again. On the run back to the start line I was at 110 to 115 mph, and you can REALLY feel the weight of the "F" in the bends at that speed! With three people in the vehicle, the weight problem only gets worse! Oh a little side note the Hawk Ceramic pads, ARE NOT IDEAL for track purposes... oops.... Now I need a new set!
Old 10-11-09, 04:40 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

I do have a cheeseball video of me getting my AZZ kicked by this "Rocket Ranger" if anybody can tell me how to load it here I would be happy to.
Old 10-11-09, 06:31 AM
j8123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
I do have a cheeseball video of me getting my AZZ kicked by this "Rocket Ranger" if anybody can tell me how to load it here I would be happy to.
You need to load it into youtube or a video share site then post a link.
Old 10-11-09, 10:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Three people in the car, no helmets, on a road course at 110 - 115 mph. Wow. I'm amazed the track would allow it. NHRA tracks require helmets for anything over 100 mph trap speed (sub 14 seconds).

Glad you had fun. I bet the "Rocket Ranger" tops out at 120 mph, that's why it's so quick.
Old 10-12-09, 12:28 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Three people in the car, no helmets, on a road course at 110 - 115 mph. Wow. I'm amazed the track would allow it. NHRA tracks require helmets for anything over 100 mph trap speed (sub 14 seconds).

Glad you had fun. I bet the "Rocket Ranger" tops out at 120 mph, that's why it's so quick.
Sorry, never remember mentioning helmets, I think you may be assuming something... remember what they say about assuming.......
Old 10-12-09, 08:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I know what they say about assuming. I also know NHRA tracks don't allow passengers under 14.0 seconds.
Old 10-13-09, 04:05 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Just to let you know we were on a "reported" (I think it may have been a bit longer, but don't quote me on that.) 1/8 mile track, my top at that was into the mid to high 80 mph range, best run was against the CTS-V at 90 mph. My launches were horrible on average, (My police pursuit classes/training NEVER entailed how to launch a vehicle properly. Not really a concern of ours I guess...) This was NOT an NHRA sanctioned event, however, I do understand, and respect their rules and regulations. I asked for NO favoritism to allow passengers, it was simply allowed. I can say however, that ALL of my training that has taken place at this very track was done with passengers in the vehicle, ALLof whom wore helmets. My point to all of this was simply to let some of my fellow "F" drivers know that the car did well against some very strong compition... I do however appreciate your concern, and will take it under advisement should I ever decide to run at an NHRA sanctioned event.
Old 10-13-09, 04:58 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Loaded the video of the "Rocket Ranger" onto youtube, enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczfBi8lmag
The only other video I have is against a 90's Mustang GT, really shows how much faster a "E" shift tranny is compared to a manual transmission.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOgP3OWYNy8
Old 10-13-09, 05:29 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Just to let you know we were on a "reported" (I think it may have been a bit longer, but don't quote me on that.) 1/8 mile track, my top at that was into the mid to high 80 mph range, best run was against the CTS-V at 90 mph. My launches were horrible on average, (My police pursuit classes/training NEVER entailed how to launch a vehicle properly. Not really a concern of ours I guess...) This was NOT an NHRA sanctioned event, however, I do understand, and respect their rules and regulations. I asked for NO favoritism to allow passengers, it was simply allowed. I can say however, that ALL of my training that has taken place at this very track was done with passengers in the vehicle, ALLof whom wore helmets. My point to all of this was simply to let some of my fellow "F" drivers know that the car did well against some very strong compition... I do however appreciate your concern, and will take it under advisement should I ever decide to run at an NHRA sanctioned event.
Slow down there tiger...
Old 10-13-09, 05:40 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Slow down there tiger...
LOL, Please, don't think I am attacking with my response... I am just trying to explain the situation. I do appricate others concerns about helment usage, and passangers.

Quick Reply: Took the "F" to the Flashlight Drags today!!