IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bilstein HDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 02:25 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein HDs

Anyone have any experience changing out the shocks on our F to improve the ride quality? I call it the "bounce" we get over uneven road surfaces like bridges, overpasses, etc. that I would like to reduce or eliminate. I currently have Eibach springs and they helped a little but I was thinking the only solution for me was to go with coils unless anyone has had success with shocks.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
This is a shock issue not a spring. Just throw on some Bilstein HDs and call it a day.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-of-drop.html
Old 10-12-09, 03:41 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Possibly another option. Check with your dealer for fitment.
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-spo...orber_set.html
Old 10-12-09, 05:13 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

This makes sense to a certain degree. For my mom's GS400 after I dropped it with Eibach springs there was a horrible bounce. I upgraded the shocks to the Fsport shocks that became availible when the Fsport springs came up and they did the trick. Now the question is whether the shocks need to be stiffer or softer than the stock setup to get rid of the bounce. I'm assuming they need to be stiffer...Darshana S...
Old 10-12-09, 06:23 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my kws eliminated all that. they are stiff when called on and soft when needed.
They have little brains in there telling them what to do it seems like.
Old 10-12-09, 08:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
This makes sense to a certain degree. For my mom's GS400 after I dropped it with Eibach springs there was a horrible bounce. I upgraded the shocks to the Fsport shocks that became availible when the Fsport springs came up and they did the trick. Now the question is whether the shocks need to be stiffer or softer than the stock setup to get rid of the bounce. I'm assuming they need to be stiffer...Darshana S...
Sounds like your mom had worn shocks for her GS400. Lowering springs will make any ride bouncy with worn out shocks. Eibach's work pretty well with good shocks/struts. The L-Tuned (made by Eibach) springs for both the GS and IS worked very well with stock shocks...of course until they're worn out.
Old 10-14-09, 07:09 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Possibly another option. Check with your dealer for fitment.
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-spo...orber_set.html
Anyone know if these shocks have a fitment for the F?
Old 10-14-09, 02:42 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a question but if u buy those could u just get coilovers?
Old 10-14-09, 04:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Anyone know if these shocks have a fitment for the F?
F-Sport shocks are available for the 2IS and 3GS only.
Old 10-14-09, 05:34 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

I am lost. Why wouldnt they fit?? We have the same suspension as the 2is and 3gs????? Its the same...i measured them at the dealer to my stocks and they are the same as well..
Old 10-14-09, 06:05 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sounds like your mom had worn shocks for her GS400. Lowering springs will make any ride bouncy with worn out shocks. Eibach's work pretty well with good shocks/struts. The L-Tuned (made by Eibach) springs for both the GS and IS worked very well with stock shocks...of course until they're worn out.
My mom's GS had about 15K miles on it before getting the shocks replaced...so basically there was nothing wrong with them. After I dropped her GS with the Eibachs, the car was VERY bouncy. The Eibachs were somewhat stiffer springs than the stock springs, which were tuned for the stock shocks. The F-sport division came out with Bilsteins that was about 10 to 15% stiffer, which matched up perfectly with their lowerings springs/Eibachs. This is why I'm saying stiffer shocks maybe the right way to go for the stock IS-F suspension to get rid of the bounce.
Old 10-14-09, 06:36 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

The bounce he is talking about is from the valving. The compression of the shock is so well valved and set up for a slow bleed it creates a stiffer ride.

My kws have a super soft spring rate but set to stiff the shock is rock hard..
Old 10-14-09, 08:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Supraman16
My mom's GS had about 15K miles on it before getting the shocks replaced...so basically there was nothing wrong with them. After I dropped her GS with the Eibachs, the car was VERY bouncy. The Eibachs were somewhat stiffer springs than the stock springs, which were tuned for the stock shocks. The F-sport division came out with Bilsteins that was about 10 to 15% stiffer, which matched up perfectly with their lowerings springs/Eibachs. This is why I'm saying stiffer shocks maybe the right way to go for the stock IS-F suspension to get rid of the bounce.
That's low miles, but how long did your mom drive the 15k miles? As you may know, shocks can blow very early in their lifespan, and some go out well beyond 50k miles.

L-Tuned shocks manufactured by Bilstein came out for the 2nd Gen GS. F-Sport is what is available for the current 3GS and 2IS, not the 2GS and etc.
Old 10-14-09, 11:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chrisburke
I am lost. Why wouldnt they fit?? We have the same suspension as the 2is and 3gs????? Its the same...i measured them at the dealer to my stocks and they are the same as well..
In simplistic terms they probably won't work right since they have NOT been designed to handle the IS-F

IS-F Suspension Story

Kinda like if you try to install a set of IS350 coilovers onto an IS-F or vice versa.
With out the proper shock valve and/or spring rates, you will be very unhappy most of the time..
Whether your on the Street or at the Track..

Regards,
Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein HDs-f-suspension-1.jpg  
Old 10-14-09, 11:25 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

in rebuttal to your diagram Joe, the shock will work. Regardless of vehicle weight the valving is set upon the spring rate. Your 18k spring rate on your D2 does not over compensate for the vehicles weight its just killing the rate of travel. My 11k spring rate is almost half of yours but the valving has made up the difference in feel. As for the bilsteins HD they should work and with a spring matching the stock vehicles rates or close to it the shock would be fine. With super stiff springs you then have over scrub rate on tires and lose feeling in turns do to tire plantation and weight transfer. Question is how long will they last and what is the valving set to I.E. valve rate, and purge percentage.
Old 10-14-09, 11:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Agreed to the point that they may bolt right up...

But will it solve the harsh ride found in the OEM suspension for Daily Driving??
who knows...

However, I do know that coils solve the ride quality with a night & day difference..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Bilstein HDs