IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why did the IS-F depreciate 20k

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 11:48 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Ryan, you know just as well as I do that "quotes" are non-transferrable, and expire as soon as the conversation ends. It wouldn't do any good in the least to divulge which dealerships gave me these quotes, especially since you've already called me a liar.

Javier
Old 10-15-09, 11:55 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Fact of the matter is, unless there is an actual disclosure of a $50k IS F deal with numbers and figures to back the claims up, no one can say they can get that deal by just walking up to any Lexus dealer. And there's no way in hell a dealer is just going to throw erroneous numbers at you unless you're actually shopping for an IS F or have purchased one.
I agree.
Old 10-15-09, 11:58 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
"quotes" are non-transferrable, and expire as soon as the conversation ends
Javier
hey you never know, a CL member Leon picked up a F for the exact same deal offered to me (just a different color). we both walked out paying $48,680 + fees... there was a red one left over that was offered at the same price (this was the 3rd and last 2008 model left on the lot) to another CL member (i won't disclose his name w/o permission first) who never closed the deal.
Old 10-15-09, 12:01 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Hi Joe!

Just because you "haven't seen" this price doesn't mean it's not there. Like I said, I've already been personally offered this price, although it is not inclusive of TT&L (I assumed we were talking about vehicle price since TT&L has nothing to do with depreciation & value). There's also plenty of members here who have scored IS-F's for ~$50K (before TT&L).

Javier
BullSh#@ ...... 08 for $50k I believe, not for new 09s!! Like JoeZ said, invoice on a 09 is $54k+
Old 10-15-09, 12:09 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Guys guys, no need to argue, Im pretty sure JavyLSU can get the F for $50k, hes not lying!!!! Are we forgetting not all F comes with ML and Navi? lol
Old 10-15-09, 12:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Those without ML and nav are few and far between.
Old 10-15-09, 01:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL, it's all good - we're not arguing, and for those of you that don't know flipside909 and I are really good friends. It just happens in this case that I (and a few others) been quoted one thing, and others have been quoted different prices. That happens every day, and it doesn't surprise me in the least. Prices that were unbelievable 6 months ago may no longer be relevant today. Timing is everything.

Javier
Old 10-15-09, 02:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RspSupra
I know cars depreciate but I can't beliieve how much the IS-F did in less than a year. The November issue of Road and Track complained about the same thing. Don't get me wrong I love the car but I am shocked at the depreciation.

Mark
To answer your question, it's very simple. Supply vs. Demand.

2,733 of the 4,828 IS F's made worldwide for 2008 were sent to the US. IS F was first sold in February 2008. I'd say roughly 1/4 of the 2,733 remained unsold at the start of 2009. Because of the surplus of IS F in the market, factory to dealer incentives were given for the remaining 08 IS F's out there starting back in December 08. There were a lot less 2009 IS F's produced for the world and for the US. I don't have the exact numbers for 2009 at this time, but I do know production halted on 2 occassions for the F due to surplus inventory and market conditions. Because the market is slow for niche luxury sport vehicles like the F, they will take a hit and favor the more economical and practical cars. Supply for the 08 IS F was high, and so is the market for used 08 IS F's.

Vehicle values are dictated by market conditions and of course vehicle inventory. Luxury cars in general have a very high depreciation rate, even more so than regular car makes. All cars will depreciate in time. If you look at the M3 and the rest of the competition, it takes a similar hit as well.

Here's my original post with the 2008 numbers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3766267-post31.html
Old 10-15-09, 02:47 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
If you look at the M3 and the rest of the competition, it takes a similar hit as well.
[/url]
This is true, the M3 had an even higher rebate of $7,500 on '08 leftovers. My local dealers only had convertibles at that point and I only found "oddly optioned" ones elsewhere.
Old 10-15-09, 02:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 741 Likes on 511 Posts

Ryan, I'm not sure how you can buy a car without putting down some money - you have to pay for it after all...

I'm not saying EVERYONE can get a new IS-F at ANY dealer, but the fact of the matter is that many, many people are buying new IS-F's in the very low 50's, regardless of who they know, what they're trading in, or how much money they put down. I got offered that price after the incentives were over, and I wasn't even shopping for an F!

Javier
They were just trying to get rid of you and get your car because you were hanging around the dealer too much and your modded 2IS was making the stock ones look bad
Old 10-15-09, 03:01 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

You guys complaining about the F,,,, Look at the Dodge commercial back then 40% off msrp even before they hit the road, Brand spanking new trucks being discounted 40% off.... thats what I call depreciation to the max!!!
Old 10-15-09, 03:34 PM
RspSupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
You guys complaining about the F,,,, Look at the Dodge commercial back then 40% off msrp even before they hit the road, Brand spanking new trucks being discounted 40% off.... thats what I call depreciation to the max!!!
I think the markup on those is huge and that is why they can do that.

Mark
Old 10-15-09, 04:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

that does seem a lil too steep....20k depreciation for one year? nowhere does this make financial/accounting or even practical sense! so many members here, including myself, have not seen that big a drop. the best way would be to compare against not only the competitors (m3, c63 amg, etc.) but also to see how the market is doing overall. sure, we know the economy is very poor, but not to the point where a car would drastically drop in value that fast.
Old 10-15-09, 08:26 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

haha, thats what you guys all think, I had a 08 Infiniti G37 that stickered for 44,020 brand new. I picked it up for under invoice at $39,200 in Aug of 08, Knowing that I can pick up a leftover new 08 Is-F for under $50k, I immediately started doing research on how much my Infiniti was worth. In May of 09 with 3200 miles on my Infiniti, every freekin dealer offered me $31,500 for my car!!! I was like wtf? so I called Infiniti to see what it was worth trading back in my coupe for a G37 sedan. I called 4 dealers, they all offered me $30k, I was pissed off!!! I really think its messed up when your own "brand" dont show any loyalty, the trade in at the lexus dealer was higher than bringing it back to the Infiniti dealer. so you do the math, 9months with 3200 miles, my $44,020 Infiniti was worth $30,000 at the Infiniti dealer!!! I do alot of research and Is-F is not that bad when it comes to re-sale value. Seriously, look around, most used 08 Is F are going for around $42,00-47,000 depending on mileage and condition. Yeah, you see a few thats in the mid to high 30s but those are the F with the re-built title, or salvage title, there was one for $38,888 recently and a fellow forum member posted that up, but if you look at that car, it has like $150 Made in China alloy wheels on it, seriously you gonna buy that car? Im pretty sure you guys get the picture... You guys gotta factor in mileage and condition, carfax history, etc..... My Buddies $47,000 08 Bmw 335 with 11k is now worth $30k and he is not surprised at all, does he like that as a fact? of course not, but he knows how it is and he's not gonna cry about it...
Old 10-15-09, 10:59 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by malujerry
Exactly, I don't think you can get a fully loaded, brand new, non-demo, ISF for around $50k without some type of rebate or discount for one reason or another. If you can, post what dealer is offering this to help others with their new purchase.

Around long island, I haven't seen a new F at any dealerships. My closest dealer, Ralle, said sales basically sucked and it's by order only now. I was worried about this for the F until I saw at my closest audi, bmw, mb dealerships they did not have an RS4, M3, C63 in stock either. (off-topic - There was a new S5 and the new E class which were gorgeous)
If you're speaking '09s, I'm tempted to agree - they aren't clogging up dealer lots like the 8s were. I did get my '08 (Nav/ML/basically loaded/non-demo etc.) for under 50k, and yes, the incentive was definitely part of that. The dealer I bought from had 3! still on the lot in March, PLUS a demo with ~4kmiles. Interestingly, I couldn't get the demos for less. A different dealer had only an 08 demo left (of the "stripped" variety) and wouldn't let it go for under 50k.

The order only thing, although I didn't talk to them about it, is probably true here now too. When I was in for service I noticed that the lot had a LOT less inventory than when I bought, and what was there was mostly the "cheaper" Lexus models - IS250s and ESs and such... all with fewer options. No Fs. Economy is affecting them.

Quick Reply: Why did the IS-F depreciate 20k