IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just installed K&N

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 06:08 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed K&N

It's awesome. Bought it 100% for the sound, and it is exactly what I wanted: dead silent at a cruise, and the exact opposite when you give it a decent amount of throttle.
Throttle response definitely improved and it just sounds nasty.
Build quality is as expected and fit is pretty good as well. Went together in about an hour.
I'm planning on an in-cabin video under load with stock exhaust later this weekend.
Old 10-17-09, 07:14 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, dont the F sound like a Japanese Redneck Car after the intake install? hahaha
Old 10-17-09, 07:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looking forward to the vid.. K&N is proven performance.. Congrats..
Old 10-18-09, 10:54 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

very nice. i was still debating whether to go with the k&n or the joe z. with the k&n, id need to take out the stock airbox, but it doesnt have much else to remove from what im told. the joe z makes easy use of the stock airbox, but we'll see. im still waiting till the holiday bonus checks come out!
Old 10-18-09, 01:55 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

there has been couple of problem with K&N intake with hot weather...
above like 90 degrees engine response kinda decreases...
Old 10-18-09, 02:08 PM
PHXF
Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
very nice. i was still debating whether to go with the k&n or the joe z. with the k&n, id need to take out the stock airbox, but it doesnt have much else to remove from what im told. the joe z makes easy use of the stock airbox, but we'll see. im still waiting till the holiday bonus checks come out!
*UPDATED* WITH VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTievfUMr8I

This video is actually hilarious - I don't recommend that anyone try to take a video by themselves as it is quite unsafe I missed a couple of shifts, hit the rev limiter a few times, almost dropped the camera, and gave you great shot of my sexy leg more than once. But what is important is that the sound of the intake came through!
Old 10-18-09, 03:44 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

man i love how fast it shifts
Old 10-22-09, 09:37 AM
Christan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going for a JoeZ, toms intake setup, was initially considering this but read bout the heat issues and loss of low end power in hot weather, can anyone verify this? Avg temperature where im at is usually 32-35 centigrade during the day and 26 - 29 Centigrade at night
Old 10-22-09, 11:20 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, K&N claims a 28HP increase??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K3C2mztkaQ&NR=1
Old 10-22-09, 11:31 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds great
Old 10-22-09, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds interesting.
Old 10-22-09, 04:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
LOL, K&N claims a 28HP increase??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K3C2mztkaQ&NR=1
I use a K&N drop-in in the stock filter housing with the JoeZ intake tube. K&Ns claim however, is pure BS. IOW they are FOS.

Lou
Old 10-22-09, 05:54 PM
PHXF
Driver

Originally Posted by Christan
I am going for a JoeZ, toms intake setup, was initially considering this but read bout the heat issues and loss of low end power in hot weather, can anyone verify this? Avg temperature where im at is usually 32-35 centigrade during the day and 26 - 29 Centigrade at night
I have no idea what 32-35 degrees centigrade is.

I live in phoenix and I drove the car around 100 degrees last weekend...probably the last really hot weekend of the year. I noticed no loss of power...maybe it did lose a few, but just like the increase of adding an intake, you'd never notice it if it was there.
Having driven the car for a week now, I'd say that it actually seems more responsive at extremely low speeds (0-10 mph)...the stock intake sort of seemed mushy in comparison.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to WHY they think the K&N would lose power in hot weather? It draws air from the same location as the stock secondary intake (wheel well). The aluminum intake tube might be more conductive of heat than the stock plastic, but at the same time the K&N unit has WAY less mass to retain that heat, as well as a much shorter, less convoluted path to the engine...with way less internal surface area. The stock intake assembly is HUGE in comparison. If heat soak is indeed the problem, then you'd probably have the same issue with the JoeZ or any other aluminum intake.
If it is the loss of ram-air effect at speed from disabling the primary stock intake, then we're not talking heat sensitivity.
I haven't read up on the documented cases of power loss in extreme temps, but I just can't think of any theories that really seem to hold water. I know the intake has been documented to add 5-7 or so hp in normal conditions, so to lose power in heat it has to give up those ponies plus some...makes me think that in these cases there is something wrong w/ the car, the intake, the dyno, or the drivers are imagining something that isn't there. Or, more likely, their car is new, never driven in the heat, and then they added an intake before it got hot outside...and then they noticed their car running differently.
Old 10-22-09, 06:16 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In testing different products for the development of our air box for the IS-F we noticed that the car starves for air. The air ram in the front and secondary are necessary for the car to pull in enough cold air. We were able to get great gains from the K&N with the hood open and a fan pointed straight at it. The temp was around 98 degrees.

Ether way we did get gains for the K&N.
Old 10-22-09, 07:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSForged
In testing different products for the development of our air box for the IS-F we noticed that the car starves for air. The air ram in the front and secondary are necessary for the car to pull in enough cold air. We were able to get great gains from the K&N with the hood open and a fan pointed straight at it. The temp was around 98 degrees.

Ether way we did get gains for the K&N.
I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm driving with the hood up. I guess when you lose to someone you can show them the dyno chart so they'll understand they shouldn't have won the race?

I really hate dyno tests for anything other than a basic tune. They're horrifically unreliable predictors of real world performance.

For the F to C and back to F thing, here's a neat little analog chart:
Attached Thumbnails Just installed K&N-c2f.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just installed K&N