IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

things are getting interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 04:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,014 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Never heard of the HKS F-ConV? HKS did all this years ago.

Instead of a piggyback, we need a full emulator - a device that emulates the stock signals so the ECM is none the wiser while the "piggyback" takes full control of the inputs and outputs but retains the CAN BUS features from the OEM ECM necessary for all the other ECUs to work.

And if I hear another junior tuner talking about ADDING advance to make an engine run better I'll have start my own thread about the complete idiocy of that statement. Anyone who's done any kind of tuning where cylinder pressures increase (and they MUST if you're going to make more power) knows you'll be dialing in retard, not advance. A truly efficient combustion chamber needs very little advance for best performance.

The other thing about playing with the crank signal is it changes EVERYTHING. The entire engine software package is keyed to the crank signal. It has to be. Everything has to happen at the right time and the only way to know the right time is to know where the pistons are. If you are arbitrarily advancing or retarding when the OEM ECM sees TDC, you're playing with real fire for everything from injector and ignition timing to cam timing and emissions control through cam timing. I'd bet a whole lot of money there is more marketing than modification in the ignition functionality. Not like I would know anything about this, I've only cracked a few heads and holed a piston or two, but it's certainly enough to get your attention when you blow up a perfectly good engine with a bad tune.
Old 10-21-09, 05:31 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard of the HKS and it is also only available for the jdm ecu last i checked. same thing with what icode can do.

Lobo with all this knowledge you have, you need to produce and sell your own product so we as consumers can make you filthy rich. (im just saying you could and should)!!!!