IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I've just been 'RAPPED ~ in carbon fiber that is :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 06:57 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I suggest anybody who decides to use the CF wrap to take it to a body shop for some clear coat.

But then again, if a dull finish is what you're looking for, cool.

Great job with the creativity!
I believe that another user already attempted to apply clear coat to the 3M wrap, and it didn't look right.
Old 10-25-09, 07:14 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also throwing the idea around for the rear diffuser, the mirrors, the interior pieces, the spoiler. But I though sometimes you can go overboard. The only thing I have tried was clear vinyl on top. I would not think the stuff could stand up to any coating for fear of warping the 3M vinyl itself.
Old 10-25-09, 07:14 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
I believe that another user already attempted to apply clear coat to the 3M wrap, and it didn't look right.
yes ... dont clear the CF wrap ... it makes it look grey
Old 10-25-09, 07:53 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F looks good so far from the one pic. I'm curious. Lets see some more pics.
Old 10-25-09, 10:19 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

more pics, please.. so far the it looks awesome! love the white + CF look
Old 10-26-09, 01:45 AM
Damage
Advanced

godamn you. I was going to do the exact same thing to the rear bumper.

So where can I buy some of this stuff?
Old 10-26-09, 05:33 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very creative project...continue the good work! Definetely post more pictures when you have them. Great job!
Old 10-26-09, 08:05 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the replies ~ I took the car to our NSX bbq yesterday and the finish was quite well received. Car looked great until one of the nsx members decided to show up in her white 16M Ferrari!

Anyways another CL IS-F local member (IS-F/NSX owner) showed up and saw the roof in person. Overall I'm very happy with the result. Originally I wanted gloss too but honestly the matte finish is perfect and it's quite a show stopper.

Wrapping the smaller pieces is pretty easy with a heat gun and some patience. I'm doing my blackberry cover right now and a e93 m3 headlight insert piece. Just takes patience. Roof is very difficult and definitely better left to professionals.

Material is the 3m Di-noc carbon fiber and it also comes in white and silver CF matte finish.

Damage: Best place to buy this stuff is on Ebay, they sell in 12" increments, width is 48 wide and pricing is pretty good on there

rick
Old 10-26-09, 08:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great Job Rick!! Reminds me of the "Matte" or "Frost" Aerotect Film we tested out about a month ago...

Once the production rolls come in, my plans were to complete the roof..

So far I have the partial hood, partial front bumper and the rear bumper area between the exhuast diffusers..

The Matte CF Looks awesome on White..!!!

Originally Posted by G Star
I suggest anybody who decides to use the CF wrap to take it to a body shop for some clear coat.
^^ This material is basically Vinly based..
It goes on just like 3m clear bra material.. So clearing is not an option.

I think is comes in matte and/or gloss..

It's Quickly becoming widely used in the Auto industry and might be a better way to give the Carbon Fiber Look with out actually replacing parts...

We all remember the IS-F's in this thread??
(see post#38)

IS-F in Lambo Orange: Hot or Not??

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-26-09 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:08 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The CF film is Carbon Fiber Vinyl by 3M Dinoc... At least that is what we've found. We have a roll on the way and will be able to do installs. We will also be selling the film in bulk for those DIY projects.

We are currently wrapping a body kit for a 370z with the material, and I must say it is a pleasure to work with from an installaer standpoint, and I think alot of DIY projects will be possible.

Also, if you have something a little more complex and you are not in our area, you can take the film to your installer, or just have them contact us directly for all their bulk film needs at teh best prices.

Oh, we have a new website up with our new products (though I'm still working out a couple of bugs). Here's the Carbon Fiber Page:
http://aerotect.net/Carbon-Fiber.html

I should have the bulk material up on our shopping cart at great prices by the end of the week.

@ Joe, the Orange F.... very nice!
Old 10-26-09, 09:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AeroTect
The CF film is Carbon Fiber Vinyl by 3M Dinoc... At least that is what we've found. We have a roll on the way and will be able to do installs. We will also be selling the film in bulk for those DIY projects.

We are currently wrapping a body kit for a 370z with the material, and I must say it is a pleasure to work with from an installaer standpoint, and I think alot of DIY projects will be possible.

Also, if you have something a little more complex and you are not in our area, you can take the film to your installer, or just have them contact us directly for all their bulk film needs at teh best prices.

Oh, we have a new website up with our new products (though I'm still working out a couple of bugs). Here's the Carbon Fiber Page:
http://aerotect.net/Carbon-Fiber.html

I should have the bulk material up on our shopping cart at great prices by the end of the week.

@ Joe, the Orange F.... very nice!

Thanks for the info Jason!!!

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics once you get them loaded onto your new site...

Spottted!!

Joe Z
Old 10-26-09, 11:01 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JoeZ, I agree this film if durable (only time will tell) surely will become an industry standard since oem parts have no problem with fitment or quality vs. replacing the hood with a CF version only to find it does not fit. Plus finding a space for your OEM hood storage sucks!

I'm going to be experimenting with this film on various stereo installs and will try to do some interior panel overlays on my other cars. I see a lot of potential in the s2000 market I heard that at SEMA next week they will unveil a gloss version. I'll be there so will hopefully get to see some samples.

In the mean time, my IS-F is done besides the wheels/tires so I'm a pretty happy guy. The final result has dramatically changed my IS-F look from subtle to aggressive.

The roof is the most dramatic so once I get the rest of the car put back together I'll try to snap some pictures.

rick
Old 10-26-09, 11:21 AM
Damage
Advanced

Hm I wonder if Premier can wrap my car with this stuff.
Old 10-26-09, 12:42 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look good but it will never look as good as real cf...

which is why I had REAL CF twill sitting in my basement waiting for stuff to be wrapped.. I am too afraid to do the roof by myself though..
Old 10-26-09, 04:04 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Will this be available in only black or the silver pattern as well?

This looks awesome! I really like the rear defuser look the OP put on his F!

Quick Reply: I've just been 'RAPPED ~ in carbon fiber that is :)