IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I've just been 'RAPPED ~ in carbon fiber that is :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 04:18 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S4play, sent you a pm regarding the di-noc. just wanted to get your opinion on it. thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-09, 10:27 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The mirrors had to be redone since the edges had to be wrapped over to avoid pulling up over time. We found out the mirror comes apart nicely so we wrapped the back section and also replaced the bulbs with LED versions.

Old 11-10-09, 03:49 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks nice. Are you planning to wrap the back section of the mirror housing? That looks tough.
Old 11-10-09, 09:05 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you remove the mirror? S4play? It looks good I need to get my hands on some of this stuff ,
Old 11-10-09, 10:24 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that are in the Bay Area, CA and interested in getting this done, this is the place to go:

http://www.lylesvinylstyles.net/

Pics of the wrap:
http://www.lylesvinylstyles.net/dry_cf.html
Old 11-10-09, 10:31 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Yes I agree Lyle is the guy to see in the bay area - he's a great guy to work with and hooked me up big time!

BigMikeISF: To remove the mirrors is quite easy. First you need to pop out the glass pieces and that's just snapped in place with hooks at the bottom and a U-shaped latch up top. Tilt your mirror all the way up and use your fingers to snap out the mirror. Once that is done, carefully unplug the heated mirror wiring and set it aside. Next there are x4 black philips screws. Remove those and the cover separates into two pieces.

rick
Old 11-11-09, 08:29 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inspired by s4play, I got my hands on a couple feet of 3M Di-NOC. Here are my impressions about the material and installation:

1. High quality vinyl. Impressed by the texture
2. Amateurs and DIYers, make sure you buy more than you need! I've installed vinyl pieces before, but trying to wrap DINOC around a mirror cover is a PITA. I messed up a couple times. It takes patience, a steady hand, and a HEAT GUN. Non-curved pieces would be a piece of cake, though.
3. Unfortunately, DINOC does not match wet carbon fiber pieces (Seibon, VIS, etc) well at all. I have a CF hood, trunk, and roof spoiler - the 3M Vinyl CF stood out like a sore thumb. If you want to do the exterior of your car, I don't recommend mixing and matching.

So, despite my initial excitement, I decided not to install the wrapped mirrors on my car. Right now I'm trying to find other ways to use the leftover vinyl.
Old 11-11-09, 01:29 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks REALLY NICE!
Old 11-19-09, 05:07 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by montgb
Inspired by s4play, I got my hands on a couple feet of 3M Di-NOC. Here are my impressions about the material and installation:

1. High quality vinyl. Impressed by the texture
2. Amateurs and DIYers, make sure you buy more than you need! I've installed vinyl pieces before, but trying to wrap DINOC around a mirror cover is a PITA. I messed up a couple times. It takes patience, a steady hand, and a HEAT GUN. Non-curved pieces would be a piece of cake, though.
3. Unfortunately, DINOC does not match wet carbon fiber pieces (Seibon, VIS, etc) well at all. I have a CF hood, trunk, and roof spoiler - the 3M Vinyl CF stood out like a sore thumb. If you want to do the exterior of your car, I don't recommend mixing and matching.

So, despite my initial excitement, I decided not to install the wrapped mirrors on my car. Right now I'm trying to find other ways to use the leftover vinyl.

Reading your post gave me an idea - has anyone thought of wrapping the interior center console and door trim pieces? Sure would be cheaper than buying the actual pieces!

I actually like the matte black Vinyl look, it's unique and different than the glossy finish.

As for durability, I had some bird poop on my roof today and it literally fell off with the 3M material. I'm not sure what they treated it to but it's so easy to clean! Durability only time will tell I guess.
Old 11-19-09, 05:17 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

I would love to see some GT style mirrors for the F

Old 11-19-09, 06:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFAIL
I would love to see some GT style mirrors for the F

i second that! the difference between the 3 series and the m3 can be seen with thing such as the exhaust, hood, and side mirrors. the IS 250/350 and the F all have the same side mirrors, which, unless people actually see the F badges or rear exhausts, look all too similar.
Old 11-19-09, 08:19 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
i second that! the difference between the 3 series and the m3 can be seen with thing such as the exhaust, hood, and side mirrors. the IS 250/350 and the F all have the same side mirrors, which, unless people actually see the F badges or rear exhausts, look all too similar.
Our mirrors are different, it's just not noticeable.
Old 11-19-09, 08:25 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
Our mirrors are different, it's just not noticeable.
our mirrors are actually slimmer in height.
Old 11-19-09, 10:29 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My order just arrived and I plan to do my interior parts. They are currently done in Neffy wrap and I need to redo them for a few reasons... I saw this 3M stuff and it seems like it's more durable and easier to work around corners.

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Originally Posted by s4play
Reading your post gave me an idea - has anyone thought of wrapping the interior center console and door trim pieces? Sure would be cheaper than buying the actual pieces!
Old 11-22-09, 09:05 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
First I'd like to say the IS-F mirrors are WAY TOO BULKY. However if they do make a sport mirror it really would have to fit the lines of the car. I love the m3 mirror on the m3, but that would look silly on the IS-F.

The shiny CF would not match my car anyway....

Just got my rear diffuser mock-up almost done, going to do some prelim testing before I get that part wrapped in CF.

rick

Quick Reply: I've just been 'RAPPED ~ in carbon fiber that is :)