IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 10:13 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?

ok guys, all of you who are dropped, please chime in....

I've noticed an increasing number of people high beaming me when I'm just cruising around with my low beams on so I went to dark alley to check my headlight aim.

How do you know if its' pointed too high? From my perspective it seems my headlights are aimed a bit too high as I can easily light up the building in front of me. Shouldn't the lights be aimed down a bit more as the lighting in my immediate front seems kinda weak compared to my other cars.

What is the BEST way to adjust the headlights?

Is it an auto aim setup? If so I have a feeling the lights are compensating for the lowered stance - is this something I can take to the dealer?

Input please...
Old 10-28-09, 10:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

What are you dropped on??

How low did you go?
Old 10-28-09, 10:29 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
What are you dropped on??

How low did you go?
Dropped on BC Coils and slammed pretty low....

My question is are the headlights self adjusting/leveling? My guess is it's over-compensating
Old 10-28-09, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

They're self adjusting if the car is at normal ride height. Since it isn't they're not self adjusting to the right targets. Click here for instructions on the easiest way to fix it.
Old 10-28-09, 10:47 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

wow thanks! I'm just surprised no one else has asked about this except me....
Old 10-28-09, 10:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by s4play

My question is are the headlights self adjusting/leveling? My guess is it's over-compensating
During the install on the Rear Drivers side, was the rear lighting height sensor bracket taken apart during removal??

If it was, that is why they are now pointing up....

Joe Z
Old 10-28-09, 11:07 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the headlights adjust up and down. It might seem like it but it doesn't. Once the headlights are on you can adjust them accordingly and it stays like that. In my GS, its hit a few hard pot holes and caused the headlight projector to shift. Adjusted it back to spec and haven't had an issue since. Odd, I don't really know why it did that but yeah, it did it.
Old 10-28-09, 11:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I don't think the headlights adjust up and down.
Actually they do... Two ways none the less...

The height sensor in the rear drivers side and then manually via adjustment screws on the backside of each headlight housing..

Joe Z
Old 10-29-09, 07:13 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s4play

When I had my car slammed I never had this problem. I actually had adjusted my headlights BEFORE this (see the thread below) to shoot further because they didnt throw far at all stock.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're self adjusting if the car is at normal ride height. Since it isn't they're not self adjusting to the right targets. Click here for instructions on the easiest way to fix it.
Can't the sensor only tell front to back difference, not actual "height" of the car?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
During the install on the Rear Drivers side, was the rear lighting height sensor bracket taken apart during removal??

If it was, that is why they are now pointing up....
Joe Z
I think joe might have the closest answer here.. when i got my JIC's installed they accidentally installed the AFS sensor (mounted near the rear left shock if i recall) upside down. Of course, AFS detected that right away and threw an error code.
I am not sure if your sensor had to be removed (temporarily) during CO installation but perhaps it didnt get reinstalled properly?

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I don't think the headlights adjust up and down. It might seem like it but it doesn't. Once the headlights are on you can adjust them accordingly and it stays like that. In my GS, its hit a few hard pot holes and caused the headlight projector to shift. Adjusted it back to spec and haven't had an issue since. Odd, I don't really know why it did that but yeah, it did it.
Joe already said this - but just so everyone can verify it.... (i'm surprised no one noticed this).

Get in your car at night with it facing a flat surface (wall, door, etc).... Make sure headlights are set to AUTO, and the car is off.
Turn it on (engine and all).. and watch ahead of you. The lights will drop 1-2" and then come back up. I have had 2 GS'es and now the -F and have always referred to this as the "Lexus Blink" (my Infiniti didn't do it, used a different levelling logic). If yours (s4play) aren't doing this, then there is definitely something wrong with your AFS (but you should be seeing an error in the dash if thats the case).

Just my $0.02.. hope it helps
Old 10-29-09, 10:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by oztiks
...Can't the sensor only tell front to back difference, not actual "height" of the car?...
The link is for the easiest solution, not necessarily the ideal solution. Ideally, you'd adjust both front and rear sensors to the middle of their travel with the car at the new ride height and the driver's weight in the driver's seat, then validate the settings by checking according to the FSM and making adjustments to the headlight housings as necessary (IF necessary.)

For most people, the problem is the headlights are pointing too low, so adjusting the rear raises the lights by making a single adjustment to tell the AFS ECU the attitude of the car. But you are correct, this does not tell the AFS ECU the altitude of the car at all as it would if the car were at stock ride height.
Old 11-02-09, 01:45 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

I moved the adjustment sensor from middle to 3/4 way up as you guys recommended but I feel the light is still aimed too high?

when you guys are parked on a level flat surface say at a distance of 20" away, how high should the light cutoff be?

Is there more than one sensor to adjust?

thanks
Old 11-06-09, 08:43 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Does the quality of the D4S bulb have anything to do with light output? Just one other factor I'm considering...
Old 11-06-09, 09:42 PM
Fsonic
Rookie

I think I need to adjust my headlight aim too. Tonight, two different cars highbeamed me after I passed them.
Old 11-06-09, 09:58 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Did you swap your headlight bulbs for aftermarket ones?

I adjusted the driver's side rear sensor and moved it up to 1/4 from top (OEM was set right in the middle) but it doesn't seem to help....

Is there another sensor up front? Or do I just do it manually from under the hood?

rick
Old 11-09-09, 09:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There are two height sensors. One in front and one in back. They're intended to be in the middle of their travel with the car at normal ride height, whatever you decide that to be.

Quick Reply: Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?