IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those with JoeZ Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 06:54 PM
UT-ISF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with JoeZ Intake...

Since it retains the stock airbox, is there any difference in sound?

Also, would it be possible to put a cone filter on the JoeZ tube, remove the stock airbox, and create some sort of heat barrier/shield. I like the concept of the K&N, but I do not want a "Greasy" filter messing up my car.

Brandon
Old 11-05-09, 09:26 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never liked K&N products for exactly that reason

all i know is that with the Joe-Z intake, my kids can hear me coming towards the house about 1/2 mile from the front door.

yes, i drive my car like it's meant to be driven....

even in colorado.

i'm going for the *CSP record on # of reports called in.

LOL

d
Old 11-05-09, 09:32 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the stock box for heat shielding, drop in a tom's filter
Old 11-05-09, 10:08 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UT-ISF

Also, would it be possible to put a cone filter on the JoeZ tube, remove the stock airbox, and create some sort of heat barrier/shield. I like the concept of the K&N, but I do not want a "Greasy" filter messing up my car.

Brandon
i thought about doing similar set up with stock intake. the stock intake is ~ 3 1/4 inches which is very similar to the stock honda s2000 cone filter. it might just fit fine. i will give it a try next weekend when i am not as busy. i will also measure to see which filter has more filter area.
Old 11-06-09, 05:19 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I've got the JoeZ with a K&N dropin. Been on for over 7K miles with no issues.

Lou
Old 11-06-09, 06:40 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

where can you find the toms air intake?
Old 11-06-09, 08:34 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by btwanky
where can you find the toms air intake?
http://www.vipautosalon.com/front.php or maybe even http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=140
Old 11-06-09, 09:37 AM
PHXF
Driver

Originally Posted by UT-ISF

Brandon
So, here's the thing. K&N's filter comes pre-oiled and ready for install. It's not greasy at all. If a K&N ever gets greasy, it is because someone over-oiled it after cleaning.
I have had zero issues with my K&N intake...unless you consider that awesome sound to be a problem.
Old 11-06-09, 10:11 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

K&N has power loss in the mid range and people are running worse times with them. Stick with the JOE Z intake tube and TOM's insert.
Old 11-06-09, 03:14 PM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
K&N has power loss in the mid range and people are running worse times with them. Stick with the JOE Z intake tube and TOM's insert.
+1 I have had only bad luck with K&N product over the years. I will never purchase another intake from them or a drop in filter for that matter.
Old 11-06-09, 08:09 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Performance - JoeZ
Sound - K&N.

I chose the JoeZ, because of performance also I wanted to keep the Dual Intake setup.
Old 11-07-09, 08:09 AM
FNMUPN8
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep the stock airbox, use a drop in if you feel you need to. The Joe Z gives you a nice increase in engine note at a lower rpm then stock. It sounds great mated up with an after-market exhaust. And it sounds really great on those cool, non-humid days which I am finally getting to experience in FL! Luv it!
Old 11-07-09, 09:24 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FNMUPN8
Keep the stock airbox, use a drop in if you feel you need to. The Joe Z gives you a nice increase in engine note at a lower rpm then stock. It sounds great mated up with an after-market exhaust. And it sounds really great on those cool, non-humid days which I am finally getting to experience in FL! Luv it!

I have the Joez intake and exhaust and I think the combination works well together. I am very happy with the sound and the performance.
Old 11-07-09, 10:34 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I currently have the K&N CAI. I think it sounds more aggressive than the joe-z. I am verry happy with it, and also got it super cheap from autoanything. I am talking to a friend of mine who does some tig welding. He asked me If I wanted an exhaust and intake. He would put a pipe down near the front bumper. He said I may have to cut a hole to allow the pipe to go through. He is also going to fab me an exhaust. I will let you know how it goes, he went to SEMA so will be back soon.
Old 11-07-09, 10:34 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNMUPN8
Funny you say that, because I have noticed since the temp dropped cooler in NY my cars been responding a bit better, seems to be holding gears longer. Pretty cool. Love my JZ Exhaust/intake combo! The intake opened up a bit more sound to the whole exhaust note more so around the lower rpms.

Quick Reply: For those with JoeZ Intake...