IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

~FINALLY, my custom IS-F rear diffuser (took idea from my NSX-R rear diffuser)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 09:34 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great! more pics please...
Old 11-26-09, 09:10 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great S4.. I think CF to keep the theme of the car.. Can't wait for full pics..
Old 11-28-09, 02:56 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doublexl
its quite obvious that you know nothing about aerodynamics.......
educate us all then wise one. in any case, it's not wind tunnel tested which isn't a good thing for any aero part that wasn't designed originally for that car. apparently we're all supposed to be aerodynamics engineers.

according to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_%28automotive%29

"It works by providing a space for the underbody airflow to decelerate and expand so that the boundary between the car's airflow and "external" airflow is less turbulent...."

".... The diffuser then eases this high velocity air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag on the car and increasing downforce."

So if it doesn't work properly it probably won't be increasing downforce so I assumed it could also increase lift in the rear. I recall someone here saying the pieces under our exhaust tips were designed to prevent lift also.

But go ahead and please enlightened us great aerodynamics engineer. I'm all ears as I'd love to learn new things and don't mind being corrected (in a less asinine way).

Last edited by Damage; 11-28-09 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-28-09, 05:31 AM
powmax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The under [huroa] spoiler for IS-F You just install under the floor, be able to obtain wonderful down fourth, at the time of the high-speed travelling time rainy weather the sense of relief increases when and the like travelling. ¥19,740
Old 11-28-09, 07:13 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powmax

The under [huroa] spoiler for IS-F You just install under the floor, be able to obtain wonderful down fourth, at the time of the high-speed travelling time rainy weather the sense of relief increases when and the like travelling. ¥19,740
HELP! HELP!
Old 11-28-09, 10:00 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to see a pic a little further back to see the total effect on the rear of the car.

And what the H is up with the spoiler that you install under the floor, can someone explain.
Old 11-28-09, 12:57 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

I would love a diffuser for my car but I would rather buy an intake, exhaust, lighter wheels etc. before I would prioritize rear aerodynamics. I think the IS-F is more than adequate when traveling at high speeds in regards to downforce, airflow in my opinion
Old 11-28-09, 01:48 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

while i'm re-reading everything. the exhaust diffusers work more for reducing back pressure on the exhaust gases exiting the tailpipes. since the back of the car effectively sucks air towards it as it moves along. (an example is how dirty the back of the car gets in relation to the rest of it as you drive on normal dry roads). this (believe it or not) increase resistance for exhaust exiting the tailpipes. by basically putting a funnel (although quite stylish in design) directly behind, and almost overlapping the tailpipes, the air flowing from under the car goes into the funnel with the exhaust gas. this moves the air faster through the smaller diameter exit of the funnel, helping reduce back pressure. if this had any effect on reducing lift in the rear of the car, i wouldnt be surprised if it was 0.xx of a %, but i wouldnt condemn lexus for using it as a marketing feature. many high performance sports cars use this method. audi, lamborghini, bugatti to name a few....
so if we added front carbon pieces like the viper acr and a rear wing would it have similar downforce like the acr?
Old 11-28-09, 04:56 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

that looks real clean!
Old 11-28-09, 05:53 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Busy over the holidays so haven't really had time to sit down and work on this project.

Disclaimer: Obviously my main goal was to have a nice cosmetic piece for the rear. This is in no way an aerodynamic piece nor am I claiming anything

Real well designed spoilers are great for downforce but mine is mainly for eye pleasing!

I will post an update as I get this finished up along with a few other projects.

rick
Old 11-28-09, 06:39 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

i'm not sure if you are being sincere or sarcastic. simply putting pieces from one car onto another will not give you the same downforce.

the style of splitter on the viper is much more effective at creating downforce then any of the bumper attachments available for the isf.

the canards, in conjunction with the front splitter also improve downforce in their own way.

the rear spoiler design on the viper is also much, MUCH more efficient at creating downforce. that is a true spoiler, not to be confused with the little curved lips on the top of the isf trunk.

the viper also uses its hood, suspension and barely legal slick road tires to create its cornering grip if i am not mistaken.
i was being sincere! i really just dont know much about this type of stuff and i would like to know more. i am looking at doing sport cup tires next and i have coilovers coming in 16k 12k now all i need is aero parts to stick better!
Old 11-29-09, 06:36 PM
Christan
Driver

HAHAA lexus certified duck tape.. I might just try that to protect my undercarriage.
Old 12-05-09, 02:22 PM
powmax
Pole Position

Latest TOM's Aerodynamics...

regards
marcus
Old 12-05-09, 03:23 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where can you buy Tom's stuff?
Old 12-05-09, 03:39 PM
powmax
Pole Position

e.g. Perfectrun is a solid and approved shop in japan

If the goods available for shipping - usually takes 2-5 business days to your location with EMS airfreight (depense on your local customs, etc.)

regards
marcus

Quick Reply: ~FINALLY, my custom IS-F rear diffuser (took idea from my NSX-R rear diffuser)