IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Detailing the IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 07:35 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wash, claybar (if necessary) and wax the wheels and do it religiously!
Old 11-30-09, 11:12 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1990
Hey everyone, I know there's been a lot of threads regarding this but I needed to get down to the specifics. First of all, for you Cali guys, do you recommend any professional detailer who will do a great job(OEM or better).

Another thing is that I was considerin is doing it my self, not with all the tools but the basic wax and polish etc. So from what I've read these are the order of steps I should take :

1. Wash car( I use Meguairs Gold Class; know of anything better?)

2. possibly claybar if needed(My paint looks OEM clean after wash, no contamination)

3. Wax( NXT tech wax 2.0)

4. polish( don't know of one)

5. detailer spray( meguairs ultimate quick detailer)

* I basically just want that deep wet look to hide the swirls, since I have obsidian.

thanks guys in advance
1. Wash - There are plenty of better soaps than Meguiars gold class, but if you are looking for something readily available gold class will work fine. Remember to use it at the dilution ratio stated on the bottle for ideal results. Too much soap will wear down the wax, and too little won't provide the proper lubrication.

2. Clay bar - The paint can look clean and still be contaminated. Most of the time the particles on the paint removed by clay bar can't be seen. Your car needs to be clayed if you can feel contaminates on clean paint.

3. Polish - Polishing is the most important step to get a deep gloss. Like with any paint work preparation is the key to great results. Personally I use Menzerna polishes (it cost a bit more than other polishes available, but the results justify the cost).

4. Wax/Seal - There are 3 ways to finish off the car; You can use a nice carnauba wax, a sealant, or the usual combo sealant followed by carnauba wax. A carnauba wax will provide a glossier look but will not last long. A sealant is like a synthetic wax, so it will last long, but won't be as glossy as fresh carnauba.

Every wax and sealant has different characteristics, so you should choose products based on the car color and what kind of result you want (deep gloss or noticeable pearls). Zaino is a good product, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a black car. On obsidian black paint I like to use Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant since the paint has no pearls and I like the paint to look really deep.

Here is a sample picture of wolfgang on an 09 obsidian black is250.

5. Quick detailer - Meguiars ultimate quick detailer is great

The car wash supplies and washing methods are the most important for fighting swirls. Low quality towels and wash mitts will swirl the paint especially since Lexus paint is soft. High quality microfiber towels will help the fight against swirls, but they have to be maintained properly. The towels need to be cleaned and stored in a dust free environment.
Old 11-30-09, 12:22 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, especially Blkexcoupe
I have one more question, can I substitute the polish with a compund?
Old 11-30-09, 12:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

thanks guys, especially Blkexcoupe
I have one more question, can I substitute the polish with a compund?
no, a compound is more aggressive than a polish. Compounds are meant to fix deep scratches or sanding marks. Normally after compounding you would have to polish the paint to remove the compound scratches. If you want to take it another step after polishing you can use finishing polish to jewel the paint and remove the fine scratches made from polish.
Old 11-30-09, 01:01 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful with any kind of abrasive polish or you will end up with swirls in your paint. I still say on a new car all you really need is to clay it, maybe several times and a good quality wax. Carnuba waxes are fine if the car stays in the garage and does not sit in the sun. Otherwise it does not hold up too well, which is fine if you detail your car on a regular basis.

I know I must sounnd like a Zaino distributer but I'm not. Everyone who I have turned on to these products now swear by them and will not use anything else. Check the link to one of the products I use on my F.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7
Old 11-30-09, 04:29 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to open a can of worms but Zaino isn't the best in the detailing world. While I do admit that some of their products are very good, there are other alternatives out there that do the same, if not better. You have to keep your options open. To be frank, try not to stick to one brand as there are faults within it.

Also, the "polish" in Zaino isn't that great as it is usually too light to do much with and Zaino has a filling stage according to my Zaino friend. I'd rather polish it all out then maintain the finish properly than keep hiding the defects....
Old 11-30-09, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Not to open a can of worms but Zaino isn't the best in the detailing world. While I do admit that some of their products are very good, there are other alternatives out there that do the same, if not better. You have to keep your options open. To be frank, try not to stick to one brand as there are faults within it.

Also, the "polish" in Zaino isn't that great as it is usually too light to do much with and Zaino has a filling stage according to my Zaino friend. I'd rather polish it all out then maintain the finish properly than keep hiding the defects....
i agree, i never trust my polishing step on zaino, it's just not getting the job done well enough given the same time. i always polish my car using other compound.

to me zaino is just a good compromise between shine and durability. if i want more shine, some other products definitely shine better and have deeper wet look
Old 11-30-09, 07:05 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

So is Meguairs nxt 2.0 wax not a good choice?
Old 11-30-09, 07:37 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is Meguairs nxt 2.0 wax not a good choice?
It is an OK wax, but does not last very long. There is good information in the automotive-care-and-detailing section of CL. Check it out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 11-30-09, 08:28 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i like nxt 2.0 a lot, prob lasts as long as other brands of wax
Old 12-01-09, 03:22 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Megs 2.0 is alright for an OTC wax. If you want something that works better, last longer, etc etc, try to find a bottle of Collinite 845 to use. Its cheaper and it'll last longer/look better than 2.0. When I used NXT 2.0 in the past, it would darken but would revert back to normal fairly quickly

Of course, if you saw my review on Victoria Wax Chaos/Mayhem in the Detailing Section, I'd pick those up in a heartbeat. They blew quite of few of my normal waxes out of the water
Old 12-01-09, 10:11 PM
Christan
Driver

Is Swissvax available in the US? I use them back home where i'm from, not sure about the price. Heard they are quite expensive over there but here they are reasonable.
Old 12-01-09, 10:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Christan
Is Swissvax available in the US? I use them back home where i'm from, not sure about the price. Heard they are quite expensive over there but here they are reasonable.
Yeah, it is available over here. Detailers Domain is a forum sponsor too, so look them up for the CL discount.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/searc...anufacturer=12