IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Winter Tires 18" or 19"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 01:33 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doublexl
i just dont see the logic in driving a high performance vehicle in a frozen, low grip environment.
Usually, then, there is not much anyone can do to convince you of otherwise.

Just keep in mind, that people in various areas experience different winter conditions. Some of us live in areas where snow tires and good practice get us through mild(er) winters just fine, whereas others, are much better off in a dedicated winter beater. A high performance car, by broad definition, doesn't mean we lose the ability to modulate the throttle, pay attention to inputs, compensate for the weather, and control it. From personal experience, there are rarely absolutes but it can be somewhat broken down into the following; if there is enough snowfall to strand me, or make driving conditions exceptionally unsafe, then I stay in...if not, then I consider driving, using my best discretion to judge the situation/conditions. Equipping the car to better handle these conditions makes it more manageable, which as some are stating, includes the IS-F.

It all depends on a number of factors.
Old 12-08-09, 06:40 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using 18" on my car and they work just fine.
Old 12-08-09, 07:16 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had a 911 turbo, I'd be driving it with winter tires. If I had a Lambo, I'd be driving around with winter tires. Why not? It's only a car. Now, if I had a car for the purpose of investment/collection, I'd sit in a garage all winter. My IS-F did work fine with 18" wheels and tires, but this year, the LM25s are a little dull - I have probably about 6k miles on them. I actually had kinda poor traction tonight on my way home.
Old 12-08-09, 09:11 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just a car.

If your vehicle is your "baby" then you have your own issues to sort out. Family, friends, health, etc. are far more important than anything material like a vehicle.

I do have an ML and an X5 on the way, but that doesn't mean that the F won't get driven. The F drives just fine in our current -30 weather with the piles of snow. I have driven it every day for the past week with no issues whatsoever. I have never been stuck or stranded in the F due to any winter conditions.

Drive whatever you feel like in the winter. The OP asked for opinions on driving his F in the winter....and I and others offered suggestions. He didn't ask for your permission.
Old 12-08-09, 09:23 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by doublexl
so, if you had, say.....a corvette zr1. you would drive it all year around? what about a porsche gt3? or a lamborghini lp550?

i just dont see the logic in driving a high performance vehicle in a frozen, low grip environment.
That was a stupid statement. Just because it has some 'go' to it, doesn't mean it is rendered useless in the winter. Don't drive like a speed demon, and you will still be fine, in fact, i would not be surprised if driving the IsF like a normal person would be laughing at all those people in FWD Corolla's on winter tires thinking they are indestructible.

And if i had a Lambo, hell yes i would drive it like this guy: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S9J4PGgFKJ...+Ski+box+1.jpg

I agree with the OP, by no means is my ES300 at par with his IS-F but i do not feel any guilt by driving it in the winter, it is *just a vehicle.

Now, Lexus owners feel like this, how do you break it down to certain Honda idiots that feel the need to store their "MINT MINT MINT CIVIC from 1994 that is MINT" and winter drive a beater half the year in an even bigger POS?
Old 12-08-09, 10:10 PM
surga7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Chains aren't legal here...so no.

We've got a foot of snow this past week and the F is still easy to drive.

Thanks alot
Old 12-09-09, 04:34 AM
bdhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive with traction control on or off in winter?2008 IS-F

I had a 2006 GS430 which was horrible in the snow. All of Lexus safety controls made the car virtually immobile at times. I am debating getting a set of wheels and snow tires for my IS-F from Tire Rack and driving in the winter. Do you leave the traction on, or turn it off in snow/slippery conditions? NOt sure I can go 3.5 months without driving the IS-F regularly. I am addicted. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-09, 11:12 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdhill
I had a 2006 GS430 which was horrible in the snow. All of Lexus safety controls made the car virtually immobile at times. I am debating getting a set of wheels and snow tires for my IS-F from Tire Rack and driving in the winter. Do you leave the traction on, or turn it off in snow/slippery conditions? NOt sure I can go 3.5 months without driving the IS-F regularly. I am addicted. Thanks in advance.
did u turn snow mode on? im not sure how the weather conditions are in OH but here in jersey it snows but not that bad. road conditions gets cleared up right away and i only drive locally. i would leave it on cuz when ur car spins out the traction control kicks in to bring the vehicle back in place. i know this cuz i drove my is250 awd without snow tires and the car did fine. i went to the park to do some spinouts and the car started to spin then traction control kicks in and im back in place. make sure u get some winter tires and slap them on. just take it slow and easy and don't try to race anyone, even if they tempt u to do so. good luck wit the car.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 12-09-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 11:57 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

thanks to everyone on their input. i went with 18" not only due to long term, but also better pothole protection then the 19" cuz of the sidewall. i hope this thread not only proves it can be done but to help some members on which selection would be a better fit for them. so i am goin to ask everyone to stay on topic.
Old 12-09-09, 01:56 PM
bdhill
Driver School Candidate

gs430 would be almost immobile in some conditions. Traction and safety slide devices etc. held car to slow speeds. Hoping the F is not like that.
Old 12-09-09, 07:15 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

My F is sleepin' the winter away comfortably in the garage.

For me it's not just a drivability issue but rather keeping the $60K car away from salt and not having to shovel around all that expensive bodywork. Our winters here are more moderate so we get a lot of black ice from melted snow so higher risk of people plowing into you, and I'd rather not put the F out there for that risk....

TWO backup decade-old FWD cars FTW!
Old 12-09-09, 11:05 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I am actually rolling on some 20s right now......haha
Old 12-16-09, 07:03 AM
Cheezypoof
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
thanx for the suggestions. i ended up gettin the 18" all around with blizzaks lm60. this car is my DD and i dont plan on storing it in the garage. i was goin to do that but my brother in law came back from service so he is usin his car so i dont have a winter car. plus i wanted to have some fun in the snow if you know wat i mean. anyways i will take it easy and just use the snow mode when the time comes, its about time put that dam switch to use.
I did a 19" Blizzak setup with stock staggering. I usually run my winters from mid November until late March and didn't want to sacrifice looks and performance during the fringe months when the weather isn't so bad. With this setup I'd rate its snow performance as mediocre, a 4 or 5 out of 10. Once moving the car is stable, and stopping performance is adequate; but launch can be dicey on an incline, even in 'snow' mode.

If I had it to do again I'd sacrifice looks and go with the 18"/225 setup as I'm sure that would make a big difference.
Old 12-20-10, 09:26 AM
TyreKckr
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to pull up an old thread with my first post, but I'm considering an F that will have to be driven year round, (including 5 -7 months of winter driving - I'm in Alberta, Canada) and need to know what wheels would work for winter tires. In particular, I've read a few winter tire threads and know lots of F owners use 18" rims, but a couple of threads also suggest 18" rims off a IS-350 don't clear the brake calipers. Since that's exactly what I'm looking at (18" rims off a IS350), I'd really appreciate clarification on this issue.

Any responses much appreciated.
Old 12-20-10, 09:35 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TyreKckr
Sorry to pull up an old thread with my first post, but I'm considering an F that will have to be driven year round, (including 5 -7 months of winter driving - I'm in Alberta, Canada) and need to know what wheels would work for winter tires. In particular, I've read a few winter tire threads and know lots of F owners use 18" rims, but a couple of threads also suggest 18" rims off a IS-350 don't clear the brake calipers. Since that's exactly what I'm looking at (18" rims off a IS350), I'd really appreciate clarification on this issue.

Any responses much appreciated.
Your owners manual should address that, why trust other "opinions"?

Quick Reply: Winter Tires 18" or 19"