IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can you paint the Wald kit..or any CF piece?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09 | 06:25 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Can you paint the Wald kit..or any CF piece?

After seeing many pics (like the White IS F and M3/NSX pics in a recent post)...I get the impression on the thread many folks dislike the Wald kit on the IS F. I don't understand why one would put a black boot lid on...any color IS F. (I refer to the posts showing a black WALD boot lid on an IS F)
My question is this: Is the Wald boot lid CF..and can it be painted to match the color of the ISF? (Although I suppose it would be odd to paint carbon fiber...
airlaird
Old 12-09-09 | 06:29 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can paint carbon fiber I just think that most people dont want to pay that much money for something that they would still have to do work to that could potentially not come out they way they wanted
Old 12-09-09 | 06:30 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure you can.... why would it be odd?

^what? it souldnt cost that much? if your kit is gonna get painted they should do the spoiler if you request it.... your gonna shoot clear over the carbon always.... maybe your body shop sucks....
Old 12-09-09 | 06:33 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^nothing wrong with painting cf
Old 12-09-09 | 06:44 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Well..I just think it is odd to cover over a beautifly laden Carbon Weave with paint...however, I would insist on doing that as well on the WALD boot lid. Unless your wanting the "police car" look on a white IS F....
airlaird
Old 12-09-09 | 07:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,084 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Well..I just think it is odd to cover over a beautifly laden Carbon Weave with paint...however, I would insist on doing that as well on the WALD boot lid. Unless your wanting the "police car" look on a white IS F....
airlaird
You must find F1 cars very odd. They're entirely carbon fiber. Yes, painting CF is no big deal. I personally think the weave isn't attractive and has an ostentatious air to it. "Ooooohhh, looky me, I bought carbon fiber and I want everyone to know I spent a lot of money for this kit..."

If I bought CF, I'd paint it in a heartbeat.
Old 12-11-09 | 07:34 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You must find F1 cars very odd. They're entirely carbon fiber. Yes, painting CF is no big deal. I personally think the weave isn't attractive and has an ostentatious air to it. "Ooooohhh, looky me, I bought carbon fiber and I want everyone to know I spent a lot of money for this kit..."

true but if u bought carbon fiber would the base be fiberglass like most parts on the market for our car? so why not just get plastic and paint it?
Old 12-11-09 | 10:18 AM
FNMUPN8
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

To each their own. Some people do paint CF pieces others don't and put them on light colored colors. I've seen CF pieces partly painted and parts left unpainted. There is a part of showmanship with performance cars. Your car can say "hey look at me" and your car can say "don't look at me". To each their own. For me I would not buy a titanium watch and have it plated in steel.
Old 12-11-09 | 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hehee, and i guess the lfa is a very weird car
Old 12-11-09 | 10:30 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally think the weave isn't attractive and has an ostentatious air to it. "Ooooohhh, looky me, I bought carbon fiber and I want everyone to know I spent a lot of money for this kit..."
LOL. Given that I have lots of exposed CF on my car (and more is on the way!! ), at first I was indignant when I read this post. But deep down, I can't deny that it's probably one of the reasons. That, and I like how it looks.

It's the same reason people buy Project Mu brakes, WALD body kits, and anything from Tom's.

Last edited by montgb; 12-11-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-11-09 | 06:08 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i like the look on carbon fiber with its tight weaving design on a few cars, most prevalently SGM and silver- see Clark's from VIP Auto Salon. hardly any other of the F's color choices would make as big an impact in the overall look. I am highly seeking a WALD kit for my obsidian F, but i have been asking friends and fellow vendors from CL if i should keep the CF look as is or paint them obsidian as well. the cost of a great paint over is well worth it instead of having a CF piece that doesnt blend in well with the car, IMO.
Old 12-12-09 | 08:56 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Default My point exactly ;-)

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
true but if u bought carbon fiber would the base be fiberglass like most parts on the market for our car? so why not just get plastic and paint it?

Like he said ;-). (Actually LexusF made my point for me) ...I just thought aftermarket companies would make a plain fiberglass hood or boot lid piece for painting. I appreciate everyone's take on the subject.
airlaird