IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

O2 sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 06:11 PM
kaniboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor failure

Yesterday the "Check VSC" light (red triangle, traction, check engine Yellow Light) all went off in my 2008 ISF. I took it to the dealer and they ran a test and it showed that the Band 1 O2 sensor had failed. They said they wouldn't warranty it, since I have the aftermarket JoeZ exhaust installed. I also have the Joe Z intake. Dealer said to swap the exhaust back to factory and then they could warranty it. I am going through another contact that may be able to help me get it covered under warranty.

What exactly does this O2 sensor do, and if I need to pay for one, how much would it cost?

Last edited by kaniboi; 12-11-09 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Change Title
Old 12-11-09, 06:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

First one I have ever heard of to go....

Couple of questions for you:

1) Who did the install for you?

2) Did they give you a print out of the code showing which sensor is bad?

3) How long has the exhaust been installed for?

I have seen similar problems occur on bad re-installs of the O2 sensor (on other Lexus models) where the wire has been wound too tight or damaged, which eventually causes probelms down the line.

I can assure you the exhaust has not caused the O2 sensor to fail as we have clocked well over a year and thousands & thousands of miles on different IS-F's.

Hopefully your other contact can help warranty the sensor... Sometimes they do just go bad...

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 12-11-09, 07:24 PM
kaniboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joe and CDN Rockies...sorry if I bad referenced JoeZ's product. I assure you it was NOT my intention. I love Joe's product and would 100% recommend them to anyone!! I wasn't familiar with the O2 sensors so just wanted to put everything I had. Also just wanted to make sure dealer wasn't trying to screw me by just saying you have an aftermarket exhaust, when that could have nothing to do with it. I will change the title as well.

In response to Joe's questions...

I'll leave this off since I don't want to mention someone else by accident. But it is from a very highly reputable shop. I will send Joe the name privately.
They didn't give me a printout just showed me a line saying Band 1 O2 sensor.
Installed for about 5 months. I have 12000 miles on it. Car is just about 1 year old and has been through 2 trackdays.
Old 12-11-09, 08:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

No offensive taken gentlemen...

We are all here to help...

Originally Posted by kaniboi
Hi Joe and CDN Rockies...sorry if I bad referenced JoeZ's product. I assure you it was NOT my intention. I love Joe's product and would 100% recommend them to anyone!! I wasn't familiar with the O2 sensors so just wanted to put everything I had. Also just wanted to make sure dealer wasn't trying to screw me by just saying you have an aftermarket exhaust, when that could have nothing to do with it. I will change the title as well.

In response to Joe's questions...

I'll leave this off since I don't want to mention someone else by accident. But it is from a very highly reputable shop. I will send Joe the name privately.
They didn't give me a printout just showed me a line saying Band 1 O2 sensor.
Installed for about 5 months. I have 12000 miles on it. Car is just about 1 year old and has been through 2 trackdays.
Thanks for the quick responses...

Based on the information you provided me here & via PM

1) I recommend you swing by the installer and have the O2 sensors installation inspected..
Also, inspect & check for leaks by the OEM gaskets & forward flanges..

2) No print out with the actual code is a bit weird.!?
If you did indeed have a faulty sensor, they should have been able to pin point which one it was..

3) Sounds like normal useage to me..

We recently had another member who had a similar situation.. His problem was solved by changing out the two $9 gaskets up front..

His F basically had a very small exhaust leak, which eventually threw some lights on the dash like yours..

I would also like to recommend an ECU Reset this evening, by following the steps in this thread...

Resetting the ECU...

Best Regards,

Joe Z