IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealership cost to replace all 4 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 07:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Drilled rotors have to be ground using a centerless grinder. The hole means the cut is interrupted on a standard brake lathe and the surface will not be flat. But resurfacing is usually just a waste of brake disc and only serves to make it wear out faster.

I'll take a look at the Brembos on the LS. It would be awesome to have an undrilled rotor option direct from Brembo.
Old 12-20-09, 09:58 AM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving a high performance lux car means parts are not cheap. For example my 02 Clk55s AMG rotors are $250 a piece for fronts. But I use Hawk ceramic pads which cost only $100 pair.
Old 12-21-09, 02:47 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My nearest dealer quoted me $270 for the front pads and $230 for the rear pads. So very similar to your prices. Where did you find the rear for $162?

What are good non OEM replacement pads that are cheaper?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Fronts Pads MSRP = $380 -> I found them for $267
Rear Pads MSRP = $230 -> I found them for $162

Front Rotors MSRP = $282 each -> I found them for $198 each
Rear Rotors MSRP = $365 each -> I found them for $257 each

^^ The above are all OEM GENUINE Lexus Parts prices....

- Rear rotors cost more than the fronts!!

I wonder if the new 2010 LS460 Rotors fit???
They are running Brembos on them now as well....

But the rotors are not drilled out of course..

Click for enlarge

Where's "lobuxracer"...!!!??? I am sure he can find out about the new LS Brembos..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 12-21-09, 07:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

FWIW, the rotors on the LS460 are 6mm thicker than the F's rotors. Doesn't sound like a simple swap at all.
Old 12-22-09, 04:25 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Just a comment that I thought of the other day.

Brembo brakes are pretty standardized in their design and function across all applications. Therefore there is no reason that you should not be able to have your brakes serviced (pads and rotors replaced) at ANY shop that knows Brembo. Look for places that work on Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, etc. You could source your own parts where you find the best price and have someone more reasonably priced than the dealer do the work for you if you are not up to doing it yourself. That said, the Brembos are the easiest brake system that I have ever worked on. They were designed for quick pad swaps at the track and therefore are easy to do.

Just a thought...
Andy
Old 12-22-09, 06:19 PM
RiotGrip
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone just replaced their pads and not the rotors? I know that parts on a car like this are not cheap, but a rotor replacement with every pad change sounds a bit extreme. I would think under my relatively conservative driving style, Rotors should be good for at least 50-60K, is that way off base with this car?
Old 12-23-09, 10:35 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RiotGrip
Rotors should be good for at least 50-60K, is that way off base with this car?
This is way too much of a generalization. It depends entirely on the brake pad compound, weight of the car, driving style, heat, and metal used in the rotor. Some rotors will only last 2 track days.

For this car: You can probably get 1-1.5 maybe 2 sets of pads to one set of rotors. I have said this before, this is very typical wear for a high performance braking system.

As for reusing your rotors. It all depends on the condition of your rotors after the first set of pads are depleted. If the rotors measure out to still be within spec and are not in danger of wearing beyond spec, and they do not have cracks or warpage, then they can probably be used again (without machining). (remember to routinely check your rotors incase they wear out prior to the next set of pads being needed.) It is important to bed the new pads properly to ensure a good contact surface between the rotor and pad. Usually a good bedding procedure is 3-5 emergency braking condition stops from 80--> 20 MPH in succession. This is NOT a good procedure for all types/brands of pads so check with the manufacturer for proper procedure.

Disclaimer: If you do not have thorough knowledge of braking systems and their operation, please differ to your ASE certified mechanic. Don't try to second guess your safety.
Old 12-23-09, 01:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My rotors stopped wearing so fast after a track weekend where they got hot enough to fade Carbotech XP-12s. Pretty amazing what some heating and cooling cycles will do to harden cast iron.

OEM rotors on the F are going to crack. Period. My rotors have cracks on every single hole, but none running to root, edge, or hole to hole so they're still considered serviceable by Lexus (and me).

Anyone stuffing in new pads and NOT measuring is foolish at best and foolhardy at worst. TT Supras on OEM pads and rotors would wear out both at the same time so brakes on the MkIV means rotors and pads. It's possible this is true for the F's brakes, but as big and thick as these rotors are, I'd expect a 2:1 pads to rotors.
Old 12-24-09, 12:02 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Just wondering where did you find these prices?

Genuine OEM front rotors for $198 each? Sign me up please. Tustin Lexus quoted me $380 each.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Fronts Pads MSRP = $380 -> I found them for $267
Rear Pads MSRP = $230 -> I found them for $162

Front Rotors MSRP = $282 each -> I found them for $198 each
Rear Rotors MSRP = $365 each -> I found them for $257 each

^^ The above are all OEM GENUINE Lexus Parts prices....

- Rear rotors cost more than the fronts!!

I wonder if the new 2010 LS460 Rotors fit???
They are running Brembos on them now as well....

But the rotors are not drilled out of course..

Click for enlarge

Where's "lobuxracer"...!!!??? I am sure he can find out about the new LS Brembos..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 11-15-11, 07:46 AM
Khandfw
Driver

I read this whole thread looking for 'where to buy rotors for the best price', just to find out no locations just prices .............. useless
Old 11-15-11, 08:42 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

try rockauto.com raybestos and centrics are the ones you want. try googling to see if you find better prices.

Originally Posted by Khandfw
I read this whole thread looking for 'where to buy rotors for the best price', just to find out no locations just prices .............. useless
Old 11-15-11, 09:02 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Incorrect, cross drilled rotors can be resurfaced, however most places do not want to resurface them due to the fact that the drilled holes have a tendency to brake the tool (cutting blade) of their machine when they get caught in the hole.
You might be better off ask a machine shop to resurface the rotors on a industrial lathe. They can adjust the speed and depth of cut to the material. I've seen garages cut rotors and it seems crude to me. Dull tools, fast speed and deep cut left the rotor looking like a long play record.
Old 11-15-11, 01:26 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors don't need to be shaved unless you are putting the emergency brake on after extremely tracking the car.
Simply bed in your brakes properly & you should be good to go for awhile.
P.S. Most people prematurely get new pads... A simple visual inspection will tell u if u have enough pad material left or not.