IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IsF trade in for Gs350???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 09:35 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IsF trade in for Gs350???

Hi guys, Im thinking about getting rid of my 08 IsF for a 2010 gs350Awd.. what are the pros and cons? chime in on this, Dunno if im gonna regret it or not....
Old 12-15-09, 09:42 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GS-350 Pros: 4 doors, AWD, good performance dry, wet or snow, good family car, bigger interior, very nice automobile.

GS-350 Cons: Doesn't sound as good, lack of 8-speed transmission, not soul-stirring.

Why are you considering this? Don't like the IS-F or your needs have changed?
Old 12-15-09, 09:45 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't see why anyone would even think about doing this. If money or gas mileage isn't an option, get the GS460 at least... my guess is that you will miss the V8's top end.

However, you're trading in an exciting car for one that is rather boring. But if your needs have changed, then I guess it's all good... but if it's just because of the backseat legroom, I personally think you're overreacting.
Old 12-15-09, 09:49 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I don't see why anyone would even think about doing this. If money or gas mileage isn't an option, get the GS460 at least... my guess is that you will miss the V8's top end.
+1, besides the GS line has the worst reliability of all lexus models according the consumer reports... (but i'm sure the worst is still better than 90% of the cars out there)
Old 12-15-09, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by malujerry
+1, besides the GS line has the worst reliability of all lexus models according the consumer reports... (but i'm sure the worst is still better than 90% of the cars out there)
That was for the 2006 AWD model and we have no indication here in the 3GS forum of any problems just with that model. Its really odd.

The GS is bigger, softer. Its not slow but clearly behind the IS-F in speed. Its quieter and more luxurious. Apples to Oranges
Old 12-15-09, 09:57 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

GS will have a bigger backseat with a middle seat. Bigger trunk.
IS-F: you will miss the rev-matching gears, the 2 stage intake (although you can get the F-sport), sport seats, firmer sporty ride
Old 12-15-09, 09:58 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a f for a gs
pfffft
Old 12-15-09, 10:00 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a GS450h with adaptive suspension before the IS-F.

The GS hybrid is a quick car, thanks to the hybrid powertrain it has an incredible acceleration at any speed, and the adaptive suspension really worked wonders to keep it comfy and soft when you cruse on the highway, yet limit body roll and suspension harmonics when you are carving canyon roads. That said it is NOT a fun car to drive, the traction control is WAY too intrusive to have fun and the acceleration burst only last 6-12 seconds depending and your battery level. A GS350 with the base suspension will be slower and more wobbly.

The IS-F on the other hand is all about having fun and emotional responses, the power, the noise, the lax traction control in sport mode...

To me the bottom line is: The GS is a family/representation car, the IS-F is a personal/have fun car.
Old 12-15-09, 10:06 AM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
GS will have a bigger backseat with a middle seat. Bigger trunk.
IS-F: you will miss the rev-matching gears, the 2 stage intake (although you can get the F-sport), sport seats, firmer sporty ride
Disagree...I'd say that it has about the same usable space. The trunk lid is so short that, sometimes utitlizing the complete trunk is the PITA.

Don't do it, stick with the IS-F
Old 12-15-09, 10:08 AM
beez43
Pole Position

For some reason, I thought that the IS trunk which my sister has and the GS trunk does not have a huge size discrepancy. GS trunks are pretty damn small to begin with as well...
Old 12-15-09, 10:16 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

ultimately it comes to personal preference. the GS rear seating arrangement seems a little larger, fitting adult sized persons comfortably, while the IS F doesnt give that much leg room for people in the back. performance-wise, the IS F is the one to go with. it wants to rev, roar, and ride. the GS isnt as powerful but just as luxurious. trunk space is slim in both vehicles. i would consider a GS for a ride that is more family based as the harsher suspension in the F would be highly untolerable for kids (especially who get carsick) in the rear seats. also, to have one of the first year production F's out there, even after very little has been changed for the '10, is great to own. best of luck to you!
Old 12-15-09, 10:28 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
(...) the harsher suspension in the F would be highly untolerable for kids (especially who get carsick) in the rear seats. (...)
Quite the opposite, I found that the LS is more prone to carsickness with little one that are sensitive to it, than the stiff IS-F.
What makes you car sick is not the harsh suspension jolts (like on the IS-F) but the wobbly, low frequency, oscillations of the suspension (like on the GS/LS)
Old 12-15-09, 10:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Hi guys, Im thinking about getting rid of my 08 IsF for a 2010 gs350Awd.. what are the pros and cons? chime in on this, Dunno if im gonna regret it or not....
Most people are forgetting to ask you one thing: WHY?

Why would you trade it in? Is there something the GS provides for you that the IS-F does not? Is there something wrong with the IS-F that the GS provides? If you're looking for AWD in inclement weather, can the issue be remedied with changes in tires (and wheels perhaps)?

Answer these questions, and we'll get a better understanding of what you need.
Old 12-15-09, 10:43 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Have the best of both worlds..

Just wait for the GS-F to come out....

Joe Z
Old 12-15-09, 11:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
Quite the opposite, I found that the LS is more prone to carsickness with little one that are sensitive to it, than the stiff IS-F.
What makes you car sick is not the harsh suspension jolts (like on the IS-F) but the wobbly, low frequency, oscillations of the suspension (like on the GS/LS)
i didnt know that. great info. ive just had bad carsickness experiences with my little ones. so many times cleaning the upholstery and carpet due to unwanted vomit. i thought the LS was pretty comfortable. usually when i go purchase a car, i bring two of the kids with me, with myself and the salesman in the front. test driving it, they were seemingly all too comfortable, as evident by their napping and drooling. the guy and i laughed as he got them each a nice muffin (but they werent happy to get up, thats for sure).

Quick Reply: IsF trade in for Gs350???