IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Test drove 2010 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 07:13 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 2010 ISF

I test drove the ISF yesterday only had 5miles. I turned off the TCS but was still there. Is there another button to completely turn it off? Any I was impressed with the fast shifts,tight steering. I'm also considering the C63. But you can't beat Lexus reliability.
Old 12-17-09, 07:49 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

hold down for 3 seconds.
Old 12-17-09, 08:50 PM
is-fowner
Driver

^^^^correct . i own a 2010 is-f and ive have traction off all the way but its almost theres some wheeel hop form the lsd imts though.
Old 12-17-09, 08:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

u need to do the pedal dance to completely turn it off, as mention in another thread holding it down doesn't completely turn off the traction control.
Old 12-18-09, 12:06 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as a huge lexus Fan, i don't just like the IS-F , i am in love with the IS-F.
however, there are 2 things i am concerned about the IS-F, and is pushing me over to the bmw m3 also.

1. if you are suddenly in need of racing, turning off the traction control would be almost impossible to do ( yes i know u can turn it off in like 20 seconds, but sometimes the situation doesn't allow)
2. big 5.0 litre engine, still about 2 seconds slower than the m3, due to a lot of the torques are at gear 7 and 8, which you can 't really reach most of the time.

so, the car doesn't really live up to the name M3 killer... what a disappointment to a lexus enthusiast like me..

but the look of the IS-F will sure get you a lot of chicks
Old 12-18-09, 12:48 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by is-fowner
^^^^correct . i own a 2010 is-f and ive have traction off all the way but its almost theres some wheeel hop form the lsd imts though.
Say again please?
Old 12-18-09, 12:53 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

hold down 3 seconds doesn't completely turn off traction control, then why have the button on a performance car like this?, the traction control kicks back in at 90 MPh i believe.
Old 12-18-09, 04:59 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is it that on my IS I can go over 100mph still with the trac control off and the ISF not???
BTW i dont own an ISF but on a straight line the ISF is as fast if not faster than the M3.
Old 12-18-09, 05:49 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by someboy
however, there are 2 things i am concerned about the IS-F, and is pushing me over to the bmw m3 also.

1. if you are suddenly in need of racing, turning off the traction control would be almost impossible to do ( yes i know u can turn it off in like 20 seconds, but sometimes the situation doesn't allow)
2. big 5.0 litre engine, still about 2 seconds slower than the m3, due to a lot of the torques are at gear 7 and 8, which you can 't really reach most of the time.

so, the car doesn't really live up to the name M3 killer... what a disappointment to a lexus enthusiast like me..

Have you even driven a ISF? In what way is it 2 seconds slower than a M3? From the mags you have read or top gear episode you have seen? Maybe in the hands of a professional driver on a track but they are very close in a straight line and in the hands of you or I it would not matter that much. In 7th and 8th gear you dont have to worry about spinning or torque at that speed those gears are in. #2 doesnt make any sense to me

Your #1 point yes the intrusive traction control is hard to turn off but honestly I feel it is just as fast with it on from a stop light once you learn how to drive it and I am sure other owners will say the same. Turning it off unless you have drag radials or sticky sticky rubber will yield burn outs in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Just flooring from a stop in sport mode will put a nice smile on your face and the traction control will not shut the car down! All of you people who just have to turn the Traction control completly off must be professional drivers because the ISF will be a tail happy 4dr Drifting beast and if you are doing this on a public road in traffic please be careful.

And I dont think anyone has dubbed this car a M3 killer but more of a worthy competitor and alternative from lexus. The M3 is still years ahead of the ISF in terms of suspension and developement and is and will be the pedigree to shoot at for just about every auto maker in that segment. If you want a M3 killer get a used M5 or M6!!
Old 12-18-09, 07:31 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have your facts all wrong!

1. As long as the car is not moving, you can turn VDS off completely. Many cars won't allow you to turn traction control off while moving.

2. The IS-F is faster in straight line against an M3, I've raced 4 M3s so far and walked them all. The M3 has better suspension and chassis though, that makes it faster in a closed circuit. Lots of torque in 7th and 8th? Where did you get this from? Dynos show almost the same torque in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, around 360 lb-ft.

So the IS-F is a disappointment to you, I guess you'll have to move on and get a different car. The worst part of this is that you need an IS-F to get chicks...

Originally Posted by someboy

Old 12-18-09, 07:56 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

LoL glad I am not the only one that thought the post made no sense
Old 12-18-09, 08:06 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

IS-F does not require pedal dance to turn the Traction completely off....Just hold the trac off button for lil while and it goes off!!

only 2006 IS350 required pedal dance to completely turn off the trac.
IS-F is def. not 2 seconds slower than an M3....Even IS350 is not 2 seconds slower than M3...2 Cars are very close in performance and it all depends on the driver
Old 12-18-09, 10:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
How is it that on my IS I can go over 100mph still with the trac control off and the ISF not???
BTW i dont own an ISF but on a straight line the ISF is as fast if not faster than the M3.
highly agreed. even some bimmer fans around here have stated that, albeit in a quiet, whisper like voice as if they were turning against their brand. i think they're priding themselves on circuit racing despite there not being that many road paths for that sorta thing besides tracking cars.

people who've driven both will have similar opinions about the pros and cons for both. in the end, its all personal preference. but in no way is the m3 two seconds faster than the F!
Old 12-18-09, 10:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickhard
LoL glad I am not the only one that thought the post made no sense
lol, maybe the whole thread too.
Old 12-18-09, 11:26 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Salil022
IS-F does not require pedal dance to turn the Traction completely off....Just hold the trac off button for lil while and it goes off!!
only 2006 IS350 required pedal dance to completely turn off the trac.
IS-F is def. not 2 seconds slower than an M3....Even IS350 is not 2 seconds slower than M3...2 Cars are very close in performance and it all depends on the driver

Seems like some members still don't know holding the button doesn't completely turn it off, let me clear the confusion:

i don't know about the IS-F, but all model years 2is require pedal brake dance to completely turn off the trac, few months back a member posted these informations about traction control, he mentioned traction control for 2is after 2006 models, holding the button do not turn the traction control completely off, it simply raises the threshold, which means increased the limit of the 30 MPH from 2006 model to somewhere around 90+. then it will kick back in once you hit that certain MPH.

I FOUND IT !!
The Mighty guide to disable Traction control
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-results.html

Incase anybody wonder about ECT power mode make the car go faster or not: Answer NO!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3042656-post38.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-mode-too.html

watched top gear anybody? here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRv2KZfjpQ

after watched the video like again and again ... i am like **** they made the lexus sound really bad... and i was so mad, especially when he said " the quad exhaust is a FAKE!!!!!!!"

so is this article that i found on many websites: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

yes i believe IS-F is faster, however watch the video the IS-F first walked the m3, then the m3 caught by soooo much , as he mentioned " eventually the is-F would win due to the the m3 is limited to 154 MPH, the is-f will keep going all the way until 168 MPH.

Driven by professional driver, lexus IS-F track time ==1.26.9 and M3 == 1.25.3. Now as someone metioned m3 has better suspension, this explains why m3 is faster than the IS-F in the video

after watching the video over and over and over and over.. it made me feel really sad... however, i want to thank you guys for the enlightenment, i did ignored the fact that IS-F's suspension is not as good as the m3's, now i feel a lot better and after watching the video for like the 10th time.

IS-F is not bad at all !

Last edited by someboy; 12-18-09 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Test drove 2010 ISF