IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mount Palomar Observatory drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 10:27 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Mount Palomar Observatory drive

The drive to Mount Palomar Observatory is very popular in Southern California, so much so that going there during the week-end is no fun at all, as it is littered with cops, motorcycles, more cops, cyclists, every Subaru owner around and ambulances (for the spilled motorcyclists...). So the best way to do it is during the week, Monday morning seemed perfect...

The IS-F (Sport mode and Manual) handled it like a charm, mostly shuffling between 2nd and 3rd gear, with some short and fast 4th gear sections, it was a blast, the IS-F stayed very balanced, cornering with minimal body roll, pulling hard and chirping tires in (almost) every corner. On the downside fuel economy was not so great at 8MPG...

You got the love clickety-click sound of contracting metal and smell of burnt rubber...

"Unless otherwise posted"

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...fa0b381288fb27
Old 01-13-10, 11:57 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet pic, the F is looking mighty good. I like the speed limit "unless otherwise posted"
Old 01-13-10, 04:22 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i was liking the story, till you're 8MPG killed it at the end. lol! halfway between LA and SD, so it'll make for a nice pitstop when my family and i go there in the summer.
Old 01-13-10, 04:54 PM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up....running hard makes you thirsty!
Old 01-13-10, 05:25 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time you do that run during the week let me I would love to chase you. I have not done it myself for several years during my vette days. But it is beautiful, and a lot of fun. If people are not familiar with it there are cool stops in Julian, Warner Springs has glider port, and of course there is the Observatory. One of the best runs I know of.

I agree with you the F in sport mode and Manual was made for these roads.
Old 01-13-10, 05:37 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

next time u should bring a sharpie and make 20 mph to 200 mph lolz .....
Old 01-13-10, 06:47 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a fun drive! Sweet pic too
Old 01-13-10, 07:14 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Awesome! I am a big fan of racing up to observatories because they often entail deserted, and very twisty road. But you do have a good excuse, you're going to the observatory.... I did a recent run to Lick Observatory this summer.

Oh how I would've loved to do it in an IS F!
Old 01-13-10, 07:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Awesome! I am a big fan of racing up to observatories because they often entail deserted, and very twisty road. But you do have a good excuse, you're going to the observatory.... I did a recent run to Lick Observatory this summer.

How was it in the 450h?
Old 01-15-10, 08:17 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How was it in the 450h?
I had a very good time. For such a heavy car, the GS really did a good job with the corners. Some really tight ones where an LSD would've kind of nice since I was a scardie cat and VDIM killed some of the fun. Plentiful power for me though. On the way back down my battery got to the full 8-bars!

timeToy, I believe you had a 450h (if it was you, it was beautifully moded!), how do you think they compare. The IS is a little too small for me but I can't wait for the GS F.
Old 01-15-10, 09:24 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

timeToy, I believe you had a 450h (if it was you, it was beautifully moded!), how do you think they compare. The IS is a little too small for me but I can't wait for the GS F.
Yes, that was my 450h, thank you. I never drove it to Palomar but on other twisty roads, and it was nowhere like the IS-F, obviously. The 450h do not shine in such uphill roads, as the battery is going to be depleted is no time and then you are left with a super heavy 350 with no way to recharge the battery. Also as you mention the VDIM is extra intrusive on the 450h, much more so than on the 350. To be honest this was the reason I get rid of my 450h, the fact that the VDIM killed all the fun and that it was not (easily) defeatable. That said, in strait line, with a full charge, the 450h is a very surprising animal, quite a few (non turbo) 911 still wonder...
Old 01-17-10, 11:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Lick Observatory is fun! Which side did you go up? Livermore or SJ side?
Old 01-17-10, 11:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
The drive to Mount Palomar Observatory is very popular in Southern California, so much so that going there during the week-end is no fun at all, as it is littered with cops, motorcycles, more cops, cyclists, every Subaru owner around and ambulances (for the spilled motorcyclists...). So the best way to do it is during the week, Monday morning seemed perfect...

The IS-F (Sport mode and Manual) handled it like a charm, mostly shuffling between 2nd and 3rd gear, with some short and fast 4th gear sections, it was a blast, the IS-F stayed very balanced, cornering with minimal body roll, pulling hard and chirping tires in (almost) every corner. On the downside fuel economy was not so great at 8MPG...

You got the love clickety-click sound of contracting metal and smell of burnt rubber...

"Unless otherwise posted"

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...fa0b381288fb27
i'm going to have to book a weekend and make it down to SD and join you all for a run. There are a few places here in the Inland Empire, but CHP has been patrolling a lot of the mountain roads more often than before.
Old 01-17-10, 11:25 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Lick Observatory is fun! Which side did you go up? Livermore or SJ side?
Yeah it was a blast. I went up the SJ side then continued down the other side of the hill and all the way back around. I don't like going the same way twice.

timeToy, your F sounds like a beast. It seems though that Lexus has made some VDIM changes since your year. I can fully defeat it in my car but I'm to scardie to actually do it on narrow roads such as this. I really hope they trickle down the "sport" VDIM function from the IS F to other models. It would've been perfect.
Old 01-17-10, 05:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Yeah it was a blast. I went up the SJ side then continued down the other side of the hill and all the way back around. I don't like going the same way twice.

timeToy, your F sounds like a beast. It seems though that Lexus has made some VDIM changes since your year. I can fully defeat it in my car but I'm to scardie to actually do it on narrow roads such as this. I really hope they trickle down the "sport" VDIM function from the IS F to other models. It would've been perfect.
Track days are the solution to this problem. You'll be a lot more confident with the nannies off when you've been around the track and got a feel for the car at your limits.

Quick Reply: Mount Palomar Observatory drive