IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F CCS Concept at Tokyo Auto Salon

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 04:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
Can somebody confirm if the "bulge" from the carbon hood is gone? it kinda looks more flat. (I just wish they made the stock hood a little flat.)
The carbon hood is molded from the factory hood.
Old 01-26-10, 04:59 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The carbon hood is molded from the factory hood.
okay,thanks.
Old 01-27-10, 08:35 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks like carbon ceramic brakes....
Yup

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
very nice...wonder how light it is now compared to the stock IS-F...
That's the million dollar question. I think it could be as little as 3500lbs. CC Brakes, Carbon roof, hood, trunk. Seats look a lot thinner. I'm figuring that the front bumper is CF as well, unless they applied the patter around the grille with a wrap or something. Similar train of thought for the front fenders. The interior of the front doors are CF, with the B pillars in CF as well makes me wonder if it's the entire door structure.
Old 01-27-10, 09:52 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yup

That's the million dollar question. I think it could be as little as 3500lbs. CC Brakes, Carbon roof, hood, trunk. Seats look a lot thinner. I'm figuring that the front bumper is CF as well, unless they applied the patter around the grille with a wrap or something. Similar train of thought for the front fenders. The interior of the front doors are CF, with the B pillars in CF as well makes me wonder if it's the entire door structure.

haha maybe the whole car is carbon fiber except for chasis frame!
Old 01-27-10, 01:18 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I really like what they did with this IS-F build...

BUT in my honest opinion, I don't see many if any production parts coming out of this..

The key word here is "Concept" ...

Joe Z
That's a bummer. I'd like to have seen a nice OEM quality body kit like that produced

Anybody notice that kinda "Flare" looking thing on the rear fenders? What is that? And is the roof painted black or actual real CF?
Old 01-27-10, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Yup

As little as? Wow. My Supra weighs 3415 on a certified scale bone stock with no carbon fibre at all. You'd really hope in 17 years Lexus could figure out how to make a sedan at the same weight without all the expense of the exotic materials.

IMHO, the IS-F should have weighed in at 3500 and this version should be a Corvette fighter at 3200 lbs.
Old 01-27-10, 09:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
As little as? Wow. My Supra weighs 3415 on a certified scale bone stock with no carbon fibre at all. You'd really hope in 17 years Lexus could figure out how to make a sedan at the same weight without all the expense of the exotic materials.

IMHO, the IS-F should have weighed in at 3500 and this version should be a Corvette fighter at 3200 lbs.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I share the exact same opinion. However, considering the stock IS F weighs 3800lbs, then 3500 really is "a little as". Seeing also that Lexus cars usually weigh less than their competitive counterparts, it's a lesson everyone stands to learn from.
Old 01-27-10, 11:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I don't disagree with you. In fact, I share the exact same opinion. However, considering the stock IS F weighs 3800lbs, then 3500 really is "a little as". Seeing also that Lexus cars usually weigh less than their competitive counterparts, it's a lesson everyone stands to learn from.
Apparently nobody but Chevrolet knows how to make a V-8 close to 400 lbs producing decent power. The F's engine is nearly 100 lbs overweight. BMW's M5 V-10 is a whopping 524 lbs! The Chevy may have only 2 valves per cylinder, but they make very good power, get very good mileage, and produce class leading power. It's tough to beat them at the V-8 game. Kudos to the LF-A for prodigious power in a light package, but so few will ever get to experience it first hand.

Right after I win the lottery I'll be developing a whole host of titanium parts for the 2UR-GSE starting with crank, rods, and torque converter...
Old 01-28-10, 07:54 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Apparently nobody but Chevrolet knows how to make a V-8 close to 400 lbs producing decent power. The F's engine is nearly 100 lbs overweight. BMW's M5 V-10 is a whopping 524 lbs! The Chevy may have only 2 valves per cylinder, but they make very good power, get very good mileage, and produce class leading power. It's tough to beat them at the V-8 game. Kudos to the LF-A for prodigious power in a light package, but so few will ever get to experience it first hand.

Right after I win the lottery I'll be developing a whole host of titanium parts for the 2UR-GSE starting with crank, rods, and torque converter...
Good luck, Toyota is a bit ahead of you on that Titanium project though

What is the service weight of the UR engine? I'm really disappointed that they are heavier (I assume) than the UZ. The UZs were awesome, in the 300lb-400lb range, so I wouldn't say that Chevy is the only one that can make a decent V8 with good power/weight ratio.

Maybe the packaging techniques used for the LFA engine to make it so compact will find it's way into the next gen of Lexus/Toyota V8s
Old 01-28-10, 10:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ I would say more like....

Look for the LFA's V10 Engine (or variant) in the next generation IS-F's..

Joe Z
Old 01-28-10, 11:03 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ I would say more like....

Look for the LFA's V10 Engine (or variant) in the next generation IS-F's..

Joe Z
haha you wish Joe!!! Most likely in the GS-F or something like that...LoL
Old 01-28-10, 11:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha you wish Joe!!! Most likely in the GS-F or something like that...LoL
or maybe the IS-FC.... You just never know bro.....
Old 01-28-10, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Good luck, Toyota is a bit ahead of you on that Titanium project though

What is the service weight of the UR engine? I'm really disappointed that they are heavier (I assume) than the UZ. The UZs were awesome, in the 300lb-400lb range, so I wouldn't say that Chevy is the only one that can make a decent V8 with good power/weight ratio.

Maybe the packaging techniques used for the LFA engine to make it so compact will find it's way into the next gen of Lexus/Toyota V8s
Maybe for the 2UR, but I had a friend racing sprint cars in the early 90's - small block Chevy - with 16 lbs total reciprocating weight including the Ti rods, crank, and flywheel. I doubt we'll see anything like that from production. Service weight for the 2UR-GSE is 500 lbs even.

I think you're confused about the UZ's weight. They're all well over 400 lbs with the iron blocks well over 500. Chevy's LS series are the lightest production V-8s by a long shot. It's not possible to have DOHC and lightness without extensive use of exotic materials.
Old 01-28-10, 08:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Maybe for the 2UR, but I had a friend racing sprint cars in the early 90's - small block Chevy - with 16 lbs total reciprocating weight including the Ti rods, crank, and flywheel. I doubt we'll see anything like that from production. Service weight for the 2UR-GSE is 500 lbs even.

I think you're confused about the UZ's weight. They're all well over 400 lbs with the iron blocks well over 500. Chevy's LS series are the lightest production V-8s by a long shot. It's not possible to have DOHC and lightness without extensive use of exotic materials.
No. I'm pretty sure. They weigh just a little more than the iron block 3S. Dressed, no fluids. Have had both around to work on at some point or the other. Double check you databases.
Old 01-29-10, 12:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No. I'm pretty sure. They weigh just a little more than the iron block 3S. Dressed, no fluids. Have had both around to work on at some point or the other. Double check you databases.
Service weight includes fluids. 10 quarts of oil in the 2UR is pretty substantial (15 lbs) all by itself. Dry weight is something different and a lot lighter. From a friend's blog:
all numbers quoted here are fully dressed unless commented otherwise.

552hp lfa's 1lr-gue v10 : ~380 lbs (0.7 lbs/hp) [bare or dressed?]
255hp rx7's 13B-rew rotary: ~400lbs (1.6 lbs/hp) [unverified]
505hp c6z06's ls7 v8: ~460 lbs (0.9 lbs/hp)
605hp carrera gt's v10: ~470lbs (0.8 lbs/hp)
405hp c5z06's ls6 v8: ~500lbs (1.23 lbs/hp)
638hp c6zr1's ls9 v8: ~530 lbs (0.8 lbs/hp)
600hp viper v10: ~550lbs (0.9 lbs/hp)
320hp supra 2jz-gte i6: ~590lbs (1.8lbs/hp)
480hp skyline's vr38dett v6: ~610lbs (1.3 lbs/hp)
And while it may be an interesting academic exercise to compare weight with the 3UR, it's not even in the ballpark for power and needs substantial weight added to sustain any serious power. At least the 1UR was built a bit more stout so you can get power out of it without major parts upgrades. Still - not a lot of power to weight compared to this crowd.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-29-10 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F CCS Concept at Tokyo Auto Salon