IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear rotors gone before other brake parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 04:35 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotors gone before other brake parts

Had the car in for the 20k service @ 20,500 and the techs say my rear rotors are below min spec but the rear pads are near new. What gives?

Front pads they say need changing soon and rotors....this I knew.
Old 01-19-10, 04:46 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that's interesting regarding the rear rotors. Never heard of that one. Did they offer an explanation? If the rear rotors are shot and the pads are like new I'd argue for replacement as being defective in manufacture or a compatibility issue between the pads and rotors.
Old 01-19-10, 04:51 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

I didn't argue it much and basically called out the BS flag silently..

This is one of 2 dealers I frequent and they always seem to lean on the side of wanting to replace parts..where as the other usually says all is well. So it comes to a judgment call on me.

Still scratching my head..
Old 01-19-10, 05:00 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck to you. I just got through with a less than satisfactory experience with Lexus corporate and some issues I had with the IS-F's pads and problems with longevity of the wheel finish. I went with some pads that probably have less stopping power than the OEM pads but put out loads less dust. The dust is not corrosive and won't attack the finish on the wheels as well.
Old 01-19-10, 05:52 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

all they want is money.... they trick people into buying stuff, so they get good money... thats how dealership makes money...

let you know, i work at Infiniti dealership here in nashville, tn... i know everything..!

Its not Dealership, its STEALERSHIP... hence
Old 01-20-10, 04:45 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask if you can witness a demo and a read out.

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Had the car in for the 20k service @ 20,500 and the techs say my rear rotors are below min spec but the rear pads are near new. What gives?

Front pads they say need changing soon and rotors....this I knew.
Old 01-21-10, 09:47 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

For the rear rotors to be worn out at 20k is almost impossible unless you were doing some heavy driving almost every day. Now the front rotors could be a diffrent story. As long as you dont feel a vibration when you are applying the brakes you should be fine. I have 30k on mine and its just about time to change the FRONT rotors. The backs are still fine. I chose to stay with the OEM pads even though they produce a lot of dust. I figure when I am going 100+ mph I really dont care if my rims have dust on them, I just want to be able to stop as quickly as possible.. =)
Old 01-21-10, 10:09 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

This sounds bizarre. Have them tell you what the spec is and what they measure out to, have them show you as they measure. Ask for it to be a warranty replacement as this is unacceptable. Talk to a manager if you do not like how how the service advisor is handling it. Do not be afraid to call corporate Lexus and ask for warranty or "good will" replacement of the rotors. I have NEVER heard of brake pads out lasting rotors, especially in the rear. IF you get nowhere with them, get a second opinion from the other dealer or an independent. If you end up having to have them replaced make sure you ask for your old parts.

Good luck. I'm sorry to hear that a Lexus dealer tries to pull this kind of crap. I had them tell me I needed 4 new tires when I had 4/32nds (of the new 10/32nd) left on them at the lowest point. To me that is at least 20-40% wear left. I called them out on it and they backed off.
Old 01-21-10, 09:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

My rear rotors didn't even get significantly hot on a track weekend when the front rotors got severely cooked. I'm at 22k+ and neither is even close to needing replacement.

I'd definitely ask to be shown the measurement. It only takes a few seconds to check it.
Old 01-22-10, 03:15 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Thank you all for your comments. I am going to investigate this claim for sure.
Old 01-26-10, 06:06 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL I love messing with the dealer and my amazing service lady I was assigned to...not to get off subject I know many men and women to make it clear that are very car savy but it tickled me when I asked her if they could align my car and get it on the lift after lowering the vehicle without damaging anything and she replead.." I just want you to know I know more than you about cars..and yes." LOL I laughed....she went to look at the car after a cracked up and came back in to ask me why I put aftermarket 19 on and "scolded" me that the size could possibly void my warranty as I gladly replied..no...and thats the same size that the vehicle came with and she began to argue...holy cow I couldnt take it and asked for another advisor bc of her ignorance...I have unfortunately found out most Lexus dealers are glorified and go strait to a specialty shop etc or anyway that I may avoid the dealers...I actually had to tell the tech what scan tool to use to reset and find the tpms serial nbumbers after they said that I had to take it back to the tire shop to have them get the codes of my TPMS bc they didnt want to scratch my wheels...but low and behold after I told them about the scan tool used previous to remotely get the TPMS serial nuimbers while in the wheel they majically found a new tool they "just got in"...sorry my experiance unless proven otherwise have seen lazy and cautious techs that dont want to take a little time to do anything out of the box to solve and address a problem....or just push the unknown buyer into extended costs or suggest them a NEW CAR which is amazing bc I have seen them do it successfully before....