IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10 | 10:01 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Default IS-F Brakes

Hey fellow ISF owners,

So I was at my dealer (Keyes Lexus, Van Nuys), and they quoted me $1500 to change my front brakes + new rotors. Is this about right or does anybody know of a better place in Southern California. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Old 01-26-10 | 10:32 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Try to scout a mechanic that will do it on their spare time and have them buy the parts for you with their employee discount.
Old 01-26-10 | 10:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You could buy the parts and find a qualified mechanic to do the install for you. Or if you're inclined, you can do the brake job with just a few tools, a couple of hours to spare, and a friend to help with bleeding the brakes.
Old 01-26-10 | 10:59 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

theres a diy for a pad change around here somewhere
now that rotors are going
there should be one of those around soon too, id imagine
Old 01-26-10 | 11:24 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

From what I have heard $1,200 to $1,500 is about the going dealer rate.

Brembo brakes are extremely easy to work on, you do not have to do this work at the dealer, anyone with brake knowledge can do it. It is quite a simple DIY if you are so inclined.

As others have mentioned, shop around for parts, there are better prices to be had for OEM Lexus parts (pads and rotors) as well as other aftermarket options for parts.

Have them measure the rotors and tell you what there thickness is and what the limits are for the rotors. Make sure they are not "up-selling" you into a new set of rotors.

How many miles are on your car and what is your driving style?

Good luck.

Here is a rotor option: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5152837-post2.html
Search the forum and you will find lots of pad options.
Old 01-26-10 | 11:34 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid

Brembo brakes are extremely easy to work on, you do not have to do this work at the dealer, anyone with brake knowledge can do it. It is quite a simple DIY if you are so inclined.

As others have mentioned, shop around for parts, there are better prices to be had for OEM Lexus parts (pads and rotors) as well as other aftermarket options for parts.

Have them measure the rotors and tell you what there thickness is and what the limits are for the rotors. Make sure they are not "up-selling" you into a new set of rotors.

Good luck.

I drive like I stole the car every once in a while.. but most of the time, just regular driving, esp. thru LA traffic. Does anyone on the forum have a shop that does this brake job?
Old 01-26-10 | 11:43 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid

Good luck.

Oh, I also have 20,000 on this baby. I would try the DIY thing, but I'm too scared.. I never worked on a car before hahaha
Old 01-26-10 | 11:46 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Oh, I also have 20,000 on this baby. I would try the DIY thing, but I'm too scared.. I never worked on a car before hahaha
heh never too late to start!
Old 01-26-10 | 12:19 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh never too late to start!
right! worse case u have to get a new car after lol!
Old 01-26-10 | 12:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lfeharri
I drive like I stole the car every once in a while.. but most of the time, just regular driving, esp. thru LA traffic. Does anyone on the forum have a shop that does this brake job?
Here are some online discounted prices I found for OEM IS-F Brake Parts..

Front pads = $267.15

Front Rotors (each) = $198.34

Rear pads = $162

Rear Rotors (each) = $257

You can try giving Tommy of Musicbox a call to see if he can give you a quote for the "Front Brakes" install job ..

Looks like you can get in done for just about half the dealer price with OEM parts and an install..

I hear ya on the LA traffic.. my front brakes are not going to last much long either ..

Joe Z
Old 01-26-10 | 02:00 PM
lfeharri
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here are some online discounted prices I found for OEM IS-F Brake Parts..

Front pads = $267.15

Front Rotors (each) = $198.34

Rear pads = $162

Rear Rotors (each) = $257

You can try giving Tommy of Musicbox a call to see if he can give you a quote for the "Front Brakes" install job ..

Looks like you can get in done for just about half the dealer price with OEM parts and an install..

I hear ya on the LA traffic.. my front brakes are not going to last much long either ..

Joe Z
Tommy does this!? Sweet! I will def. give him a call. Thanks JoeZ, can always count on you! Btw, where did you find the prices of all the parts? Just a random search?
Old 01-26-10 | 05:55 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

I just replaced mine with Carbotech Bobcat 1521 I believe the compound was very very easy and only took about an hour....was about $400 with pads, brake cleaner, etc..used pre worn rotors with proper bed in precedure..less dust and works better than stock I beleive...and at end laughed at the dealer when they gave me a quote....making about 2/3 if not 3/4 cost of their labor you would be paying them in their ridiculous cost..

FYI...replaced stock pads at 20,500 miles
Old 03-21-10 | 09:00 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Did you replace 2 front or all 4 corners? How do you like Cabotech 1521 so far? My front pads don't have much left. Just want to see what options there are.

Thanks,
TP.

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I just replaced mine with Carbotech Bobcat 1521 I believe the compound was very very easy and only took about an hour....was about $400 with pads, brake cleaner, etc..used pre worn rotors with proper bed in precedure..less dust and works better than stock I beleive...and at end laughed at the dealer when they gave me a quote....making about 2/3 if not 3/4 cost of their labor you would be paying them in their ridiculous cost..

FYI...replaced stock pads at 20,500 miles
Old 03-22-10 | 06:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

There is a brake thread under construction here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Lou
Old 03-23-10 | 05:41 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Did you replace 2 front or all 4 corners? How do you like Cabotech 1521 so far? My front pads don't have much left. Just want to see what options there are.

Thanks,
TP.
Any feedback on these carbotech pads?.. I heard that these are pretty good.. keep us posted or PM me.. thanks

Quick Reply: IS-F Brakes