IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 08:35 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collectible?

Was talking with a coworker / fellow car lover and he posed the question... Wonder if the <first> F will be "collectible" one day?

What do you guys think?

I personally think no. Two reasons.

1) I think once people identify a particular type of object (i.e. cars) as "collectible" it becomes much much harder for a new version of that object to establish itself as collectible.

2) If the fact that "it's the first F" mattered, I would think "the first Lexus" model would be seen as at least somewhat collectible by now.

That said... it is a somewhat limited production...
Old 02-01-10, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

simple answer is no
Old 02-01-10, 10:14 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

It's about as collectible as a Jose Canseco rookie card...'nuff said.
Old 02-01-10, 10:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i dont think the IS F will be considered collectible, but definitely the LFA. its all about certain production levels, not to mention each LFA will be tailored to each customer's preference (color choice, stitching, etc.). it is nice to know that lexus is branching its F line. it may not be a collectible, but nevertheless any F brand that lexus produces WILL be seen on the roads. definitely a lot of rubberneckers so far, and more to come with such nice vehicles.
Old 02-01-10, 10:21 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can u say no? u cant predict the future! look at the 1969 chevelle ss people love them and they were mass produced! cars change u never know what one may like in the future. if we did we would all keep the cars that would be like old mustangs or some collect vespa ape. u never can tell.look at el camino people love to collect them and many hated them at the time!
Old 02-02-10, 12:20 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NO WAY IT's collective for all the reasons above.....sad but true!

To be collective needs something special, unique or rare limited number (none of which the IS-F is) If you want collective go watch the cars that show up at the Barret Jackson auction

The only car with a L-badge that could be collective is the LFA
Old 02-02-10, 04:10 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
NO WAY IT's collective for all the reasons above.....sad but true!

To be collective needs something special, unique or rare limited number (none of which the IS-F is) If you want collective go watch the cars that show up at the Barret Jackson auction

The only car with a L-badge that could be collective is the LFA
i agree with lexusf
u can not predict the future
"and to be collective it needs something special"

How about being the very first F of many more to come
seems special to me

I bet the very first M in mint condition would be worth a bit these days

i think its up to us to make it special
Old 02-02-10, 06:35 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by USE20ISF
let's put it this way. they make a certain number of is-f's. i'm pretty sure the is-f is not really in high demand. people aren't fighting for it. you get one, great it's a nice car and all but at the end of the day it's not anything super special. 8 speed transmission maybe, but even then it's not really revolutionary, they just added 1 or 2 more gears so it's not like they invented a brand new transmission system. im not trying to be mean or anything, but it's not even about predicting the future it's about just accepting it for what it is. sorry
i did not buy the is-f to collect it nor am i saying its going to be one! i am just saying u never really know u can say all u want but if my dad and many of his friends knew some of the mass produced old cars they had would bring rain he would have kept it!

Last edited by LEXUSF; 02-02-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:07 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

True, a collector car can never be guessed so I guess we can give the IS-F the benefit of the doubt....just don't hold your breath

Most m3's are not worth anything except to it's owners in terms of collectibility. The only m3 generation that is truly a collectible is probably the e30 gen if you had one with no miles and perfect condition. The e36 m3 lightweight was another rare car. But that would be a shame as m3's are meant to be driven!

rick
Old 02-02-10, 11:42 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

what i have noticed is that a lot of car enthusiasts overseas tend to want the older AMERICAN model cars (mustangs, el caminos, chevelles), and the same goes here in the states wanting euros and japanese cars. the IS F, when i first bought it, seemed to be a collector's item. i hope LEXUSF is right. lexus has always been known for its luxury. with the F, it can now add sport to luxury. though the M and AMG lines have been doing this for awhile, something about the F drew me in, hoping one day i can pass this great luxury ride onto my children in the (hopefully) near future. it is truly an amazing car. not rare because of its production level, but it could be a collector's item one day. we shall wait and see...
Old 02-02-10, 09:37 PM
JetSetBen
Driver School Candidate

I love my IS F but I don't think it'll be a collector. If you look at BMW M series, the M5's are always less valueable then then M6's. As stated before only the e30 M3 are collecable so far. (The e36 was mass produced and not nearly as well built.) Sedans are less collectable then coupes.
Old 02-02-10, 09:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd say the F and those alike could be considered collectors many years down the road when CAFE decides to take all the fun outta cars lol
Old 02-02-10, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd say the F and those alike could be considered collectors many years down the road when CAFE decides to take all the fun outta cars lol
You mean like what happened in the 70's? The "death" of the performance car?

Not sure if the F will be a collector's item, but I'd be happy if it just held value better than its peers. Surely nothing will match my Supra for holding value, but it would be nice to be in the ballpark.

And the only truly collectible BMW M is the M-1.
Old 02-02-10, 10:00 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

the Lexus marque does hold it's value one of the best on the market!

But all cars lose value in general so hope no one here is planning on getting rich keeping their IS-F.

Also many of you seem to forget "collector cars" cannot be driven essentially to preserve any value. Driving them, eating in them and buy groceries in them certainly don't help...haha
Old 02-03-10, 09:11 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by USE20ISF
let's put it this way. they make a certain number of is-f's. i'm pretty sure the is-f is not really in high demand. people aren't fighting for it. you get one, great it's a nice car and all but at the end of the day it's not anything super special. 8 speed transmission maybe, but even then it's not really revolutionary, they just added 1 or 2 more gears so it's not like they invented a brand new transmission system. im not trying to be mean or anything, but it's not even about predicting the future it's about just accepting it for what it is. sorry
I would say your F would be collectable, as they seem be made in limited numbers from what I can tell.

http://images.google.co.jp/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Quick Reply: Collectible?