IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Headers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 03:13 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08MRISF
you didn't take pictures by chance did you ming15237?
I did not take any but I can next week when I am at the shop again.
Old 05-28-10, 03:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Well I could not take the intrigue any longer so I pull all of the shielding off the underbelly of my F yesterday while I had it up on the lift. I have to say that if I had to remove the exhaust manifolds of this car I would support the engine from above and remove the engine sub-frame/cross-member which includes the power steering rack. Once all of this is removed I would simply unbolt the motor mounts and the motor mount mounting brackets from the engine. That should be all there is to removing the exhaust manifolds.
The big risk to doing this is getting the subframe properly located on the re-install. Cross camber is dependent on getting it laterally located, and cross caster is dependent on getting it square with the centerline. Not exactly a task for the faint of heart.
Old 05-28-10, 06:54 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Default :)

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The big risk to doing this is getting the subframe properly located on the re-install. Cross camber is dependent on getting it laterally located, and cross caster is dependent on getting it square with the centerline. Not exactly a task for the faint of heart.
Remember old wise one... measure twice, cut once, or mark it....lol
Old 05-29-10, 06:10 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to see a comparison of the Sikky and Elite headers in terms of installation, performance, quality and build before making my decision.
Old 05-29-10, 10:27 AM
stick
Pole Position

I don't understand why the test was not done on a STOCK car. EVERYTHING should be stock, then you add the headers, and get the results.

Why are their other parts on the car for this test?
Old 05-29-10, 11:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
I don't understand why the test was not done on a STOCK car. EVERYTHING should be stock, then you add the headers, and get the results.

Who drives around with headers and the stock exhaust? You free up exhaust restriction from the rear and work forward. Would it be interesting to see the results for stock exhaust and the header? Yes, but it's not a likely combo.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-29-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-29-10, 06:29 PM
stick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Who drives around with headers and the stock exhaust? You free up exhaust restriction from the rear and work forward. Would it be interesting to see the results for stock exhaust and the header? Yes, but it's not a likely combo.

You need to start with a baseline. Stock car, then add one part, then another. Each one will have a dyno. An n/a engine needs some back pressure. It would be interesting to see what the dyno shows on a stock car with just the headers.
Old 05-30-10, 01:18 AM
slowIST
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the car should be dyno'd (sp?) after each additional performance upgrade. But, how do you know the owner hasn't sold his stock exhaust?

I'm with Cayman on the thought that headers before a free flowing after market exhaust system is unlikely.

Since you're the one (i remember you calling ME out on a dyno dynamics hp number) that is so infatuated with particular dyno results, why don't YOU fork over some cash and be the guinea pig for once? Buy the headers, dyno with stock exhaust. Buy an exhaust and dyno without the headers. Then dyno both together. Contribute something.. You ask for so much and always want the best end result. I'm sure most everyone else here is in the same boat as you, but not everyone speaks their mind as you do. After being a member for so long, I'd imagine you would sit back and let things happen. Sorry if you take this the wrong way.. But stop talking and start doing. Or, like everyone else, wait and see.
Old 05-30-10, 01:21 AM
slowIST
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An n/a engine needs some back pressure.
Please explain..
Old 05-30-10, 07:05 PM
stick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slowIST
I agree that the car should be dyno'd (sp?) after each additional performance upgrade. But, how do you know the owner hasn't sold his stock exhaust?

I'm with Cayman on the thought that headers before a free flowing after market exhaust system is unlikely.

Since you're the one (i remember you calling ME out on a dyno dynamics hp number) that is so infatuated with particular dyno results, why don't YOU fork over some cash and be the guinea pig for once? Buy the headers, dyno with stock exhaust. Buy an exhaust and dyno without the headers. Then dyno both together. Contribute something.. You ask for so much and always want the best end result. I'm sure most everyone else here is in the same boat as you, but not everyone speaks their mind as you do. After being a member for so long, I'd imagine you would sit back and let things happen. Sorry if you take this the wrong way.. But stop talking and start doing. Or, like everyone else, wait and see.

Hmmmm, I don't remember "calling you out," I'd have to see that post.

I've always just been big on dynoing from a stock baseline. Many people have posted, "I pulled 380whp on a 'fill in the dyno,' but I don't have a baseling pull." What good is that?

I would say it is up to the manufacturer to post the dyno results because they are the one trying to sell the part. If they need to do multiple pulls, then they should. The burden of proof is on them to prove gains.

I didn't take this the wrong way, it's all good bro. I anticipate many good things will come!!
Old 05-31-10, 02:44 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ There is a baseline dyno and an after header dyno. The baseline dyno was with an aftermarket exhaust though, but as said before, who will install headers with the stock exhaust system? I guess nobody will.
Old 05-31-10, 03:39 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

So...I had the pleasure of riding around in Jaslapp's car today. WOW!!! That thing is wicked. It is definitely meaner than stock, but the sound deadening of the car makes it quite bearable with the windows up (Of course everybody has a different tolerance to noise). I took a video on my camera, which didn't turn out very well. I almost don't want to post it because it absolutely does not do the real sound justice. We hit a rainstorm midway through the video, and you can hear the rain on the windshield more than anything. Sorry, I wish I could have provided better audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOG2jvP6Zqk
Old 05-31-10, 06:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

...An n/a engine needs some back pressure...
Please explain..
Yes, I'd really like to understand how "back pressure" is important to an engine. Oh, and from where I sit, a bigger pipe has more "back pressure" than a smaller one, so I'm really hoping to gain some knowledge from this...

wait...

I actually wrote a piece on this awhile ago... Please tell me where I'm wrong.
Old 05-31-10, 09:03 PM
stick
Pole Position

^^^

Please explain..

That was jacked of me to write that, I apologize. Misinformation on my part.
Old 06-01-10, 01:59 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Who drives around with headers and the stock exhaust?
That is done quite a bit in the corvette world. Increase the WHP with the headers and maintain a fairly quiet exhaust note.

You need to start with a baseline. Stock car, then add one part, then another. Each one will have a dyno. An n/a engine needs some back pressure. It would be interesting to see what the dyno shows on a stock car with just the headers.
Not sure about the required back pressure but again in the vettes on a LS2 1 3/4" headers made more horsepower and torque than did the 1 7/8". The greatest loss was torque in the midrange (under the curve) where dyno test would show nearly 30 LB FT difference at the wheels. That was on a LS2 with bolt ons only, if we went with FI or heads/Cam then the 1 7/8" was the way to go.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 06-01-10 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Headers!!!