IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sluggish Feel

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:53 AM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish Feel

I've had my ISF for about a month with 2800 miles on it, and previously had a 08 GS350. Love the car.

My only grip is the feel of the car when i want "mild" acceleration in auto.

In Normal Mode it feels like a dog and have to depress the pedal 3/4 to move, so i do the sport toggle which helps a bit but still sluggish off the line (unless i nail it then it's a beast). In sport mode throttle response feels great on the freeway, but off the line it's a bit troubling. Feels like the car is all or nothing. (kitty or tiger)

My only work around to the sluggish feel is to play with the paddles while still in auto.

I drove my 2002 MB s500 today and love the range of smooth power in the mid range

will it get better ? Thoughts ?

Last edited by niko14; 02-08-10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 10:40 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats kinda weird! mine feels power all the time and I barely hit the gas and I spin tires. did u get bad gas? maybe got to the dealer and have them look at it. I owned a SL55 amg which was 493hp and 516 tq and this car feels and is faster!
Old 02-08-10, 11:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

ive never noticed any weak acceleration on my F. barely will i need to press the gas and i damn near get whiplash. love that feeling! hardly even need sport mode unless you really wanna gun it, but with those WOTs on the freeway, it comes in handy.
Old 02-08-10, 11:43 AM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should get the Blitz Throttle controller...solved the same problem for meno more lagjust smiles.
Old 02-08-10, 03:57 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Keep the car in sport mode and practice your throttle control. After a while you should be able to get off the line fairly well and stay smooth in the process.
Old 02-08-10, 04:50 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Gas is to expensive... Keep it in normal mode like I do and then only whoop out SPORT mode when someone wants some of the real deal....
Old 02-08-10, 05:03 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

No sluggish performance here, it is as smooth as can be.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 02-08-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 05:39 PM
niko14
Driver School Candidate

Sport mode is absolutely essential that you press, i can't believe many of you are driving without it. The throttle response is so so at best in normal mode, my GS350 felt more responsive!

When i take it to the dealer for my first oil change i will have them take a look. Till then i will practice throttle control and try not snapping past 4K to make the car move

Last edited by niko14; 02-08-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 07:07 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Hey Niko14,, I know exactly what you are saying, car doesnt even feel fast at all even with the sport mode on and hard acceleration.. to make it worst, when you are cruising on the highway and step on it hard,, it dont even really wanna downshift,,,, and when it does downshift, its only 8th to 7th or 6th if you are pedal to the metal.... I had the same dilema,, and did my research and came to the conclusion.... Blitz Throttle Controller!!!! Like Gs2isf said,,,,, smiles only afterwards!!! When I first got the Blitz throttle controller, I tested it on the highway,, 8th gear cruising at 60ish,, pedal to the metal,,, instantly without even gear hunting,, it downshifted to 4th!!! Spend the $350?? and you will be glad you bought the Blitz Throttle Controller..
Old 02-08-10, 07:15 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my cars fast, i guess i know how to use it and whats going to do when i push the gas
Old 02-09-10, 08:36 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by niko14
I've had my ISF for about a month with 2800 miles on it, and previously had a 08 GS350. Love the car.

My only grip is the feel of the car when i want "mild" acceleration in auto.

In Normal Mode it feels like a dog and have to depress the pedal 3/4 to move, so i do the sport toggle which helps a bit but still sluggish off the line (unless i nail it then it's a beast). In sport mode throttle response feels great on the freeway, but off the line it's a bit troubling. Feels like the car is all or nothing. (kitty or tiger)

My only work around to the sluggish feel is to play with the paddles while still in auto.

I drove my 2002 MB s500 today and love the range of smooth power in the mid range

will it get better ? Thoughts ?
Previous owner may have been a 'light' driver. I'd highly suggest disconnecting your battery +/- for about 20-30 minutes (or longer if you can); that should reset your ECU. Then put the car in sport mode, let it warm up, and drive it like you stole it. The ECU should learn over time and become more aggressive...
Old 02-09-10, 09:12 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Normal mode is actually too jumpy for me when daily driving, so I'm surprised you think it's weak I have mentioned previously that my F spends most of the time in snow mode, even when it's not snowing.
Old 02-10-10, 07:50 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hahahaf
my cars fast, i guess i know how to use it and whats going to do when i push the gas
trust me bro,, cars totally different with the Blitz throttle controller.. Car responds alot alot faster.. I bet you if we both were cruising on the highway and both took off at the same time, My F would jump alot faster than yours.. the Blitz is like a super sport button for our sport button..
Old 02-10-10, 10:15 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

I know what your talking about, but we also need to remind ourselves that cars such as the m3 and is-f are not tuned to launch out the gate all the time. That's why everyone is always in search of a way for the perfect launch. I have recently came aware that for the isf, if u press on the gas and brake simultaneously to 2000 Rpms and then let go of the brake, It gives the car the "power launch" you desire. The only problem is that I haven't yet experimented with the technique haha.
Old 02-10-10, 01:25 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
trust me bro,, cars totally different with the Blitz throttle controller.. Car responds alot alot faster.. I bet you if we both were cruising on the highway and both took off at the same time, My F would jump alot faster than yours.. the Blitz is like a super sport button for our sport button..
I second every word

Quick Reply: Sluggish Feel