IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

30K Miles in 1.9 years on 2nd set of front brakes :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 03:50 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Thanks for the Facebook picture, I love the red brakes on a white car! Personally I would have gone with orange or yellow but you already have orange on your "other" ride

Eventually I'm going to get mine coated in yellow when it starts to show some wear but worried how brake dust will show up much easier. The oem black color hides it well so I only have to wipe my yellow brembo logos right now...haha

On the brake pad issue, my car just hit 8000 miles and I noticed the other day a bit of sqeak on the brakes. I don't drive the car too aggressive and haven't done any road trips besides going to SF once in a while. Will have to check my pads on my next maintenance stop but I really want some dustless pads This brake dust is the WORST out of all my cars, my m3 has virtually no dust compared to the IS-F and the NSX sheds no dust even after a week's worth of driving....very cool!

rick

You and your yellow brakes! haha.... I decided to go RED because it's just that nuetral color and won't be upgrading to new wheels anytime soon on the IS-F.
Old 02-11-10, 04:06 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pc1990
I concur with the OP, I had to change my front brake pads and rotors at 10k miles. This is with no track days what so ever. I'm thinking you guys DO drive like real grandmas or my dealer really screwed me over. Also my front tires were changed at 10k also, so I don't know what is the deal, honestly. OK, back on topic, that red look hot my man ...really goes well with the starfire pearl. None the less, this car is a blast to drive and it can keep up with 99% of the cars on the road.
Bro,, we dont really drive like grandma but since you are needing both front brakes and tires at 10k ,,, I wouldnt call your driving style normal either!! I have 7500 miles on my F and honest to god,, I have a good 85%+ tread left on my front tires.....
Old 02-11-10, 04:18 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

i think i have changed my brakes like 6 times? with 34k on my car... i think it comes from owning a is-f... no complaints here..
Old 02-11-10, 08:59 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Bro,, we dont really drive like grandma but since you are needing both front brakes and tires at 10k ,,, I wouldnt call your driving style normal either!! I have 7500 miles on my F and honest to god,, I have a good 85%+ tread left on my front tires.....
haha I didn't mean to offend you...but seriously how can I possibly drive this car that hard on the streets, especially in busy CA traffic...I have had no track days what so ever as mentioned. I doubt red light to red light drag races wear out the tires and brake pads/ rotors that easily...or maybe I'm mistaken, I don't know.( This is my first real performance vehicle)
Old 02-11-10, 09:45 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Long trips don't kill brakes. I've done the Sacto to Union City/Fremont/San Jose run a ridiculous number of times and only used the brakes three or four times for the whole run unless it was rush hour.

Seriously - I've got 22k on my F now, and I just looked at the pads yesterday when I took the wheels off to clean the brakes and wheel wells. I've still got more than 50% of my pads left. I really marvel at how many of you guys burn up brakes so quickly. Even with a track weekend on my rotors, they're still in fine shape - despite the cracks.
cracks??????
Old 02-11-10, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
cracks??????
Yes, cracks. It's normal for drilled rotors under hard use.
Old 02-11-10, 10:29 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pc1990
haha I didn't mean to offend you...but seriously how can I possibly drive this car that hard on the streets, especially in busy CA traffic...I have had no track days what so ever as mentioned. I doubt red light to red light drag races wear out the tires and brake pads/ rotors that easily...or maybe I'm mistaken, I don't know.( This is my first real performance vehicle)
hahaha,, thats how you wear out your brakes the fastest!!! red light to red light drag races!!! Stopping a near 4000lb car at every light is definitely a good way to kill your pads and rotors and tires!!!
Old 02-12-10, 05:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree, I'm not sure how one can wear out brakes so fast. It definitely depends a lot on driving style. Driving the car hard in stop-and-go traffic or from red light to red light drag races is one of the fastest ways to wear out the brakes.
Old 02-12-10, 11:38 AM
makena88
Pole Position

Full view of the car. Sorry overcast this AM.

Old 02-12-10, 11:43 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SWEET!!! i like the red on there. stands out...
now if i paint mine, i gotta go with blue since you already got red...haha
Old 02-12-10, 11:53 AM
makena88
Pole Position

I would go with blue if I had aftermarket wheels. Blue is almost black with the stock wheels, unless you go "Endless" Blue.
Old 02-12-10, 01:49 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by makena88
I would go with blue if I had aftermarket wheels. Blue is almost black with the stock wheels, unless you go "Endless" Blue.
was thinking about the G2 paint kit:

Last edited by HyperMKIV; 02-12-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 04:44 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
was thinking about the G2 paint kit:
Give Darwin a call at Sonic MS in Mountain View, prices are very reasonable. Tell him Steven sent you.
Old 02-12-10, 05:35 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to have mine powder coated usb like cathafer!
Old 02-12-10, 06:04 PM
isfcow
Rookie

Originally Posted by makena88
Full view of the car. Sorry overcast this AM.

Nice. Are you on tein springs or coils ?

Quick Reply: 30K Miles in 1.9 years on 2nd set of front brakes :(