Mar 2010 Car and Driver Column

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 12:30 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mar 2010 Car and Driver Column

Eddie Alterman: Behold the New Lexus WTF

Sorry, I don't have a link to the article, I read the actual print copy. But basically what Eddie was saying, is that Lexus has lost its identity, and he pointed to the new LFA and the IS-F as being at the root of the problem, that while those cars mimic the Ferrari and M3 (respectively), they are as good as neither. And that by producing them, Lexus was showing it doesn't know its place in the market, which is to produce great vehicles like the RX.

And I thought to myself, the RX? Maybe a great vehicle but hardly the standard bearer for the brand.

I remembered back to Lexus' first great vehicle that started it all, the 1990 LS400 that had 250hp, accelerated like a turbine, firm suspension, rock solid chassis, air-tight cabin, that took the book from the German Luxury makers for reliability. I haven't always liked the direction the big LS sedan has taken since then, getting bigger and more plush, but I never would have identified the brand by the RX.

Moreover, I spent lots of time looking and driving BMWs and M3s, fantastic driving machines for sure, but the car that "spoke" to me was the IS-F, its lusterous deep paint, sumptuous leather, interior appointments, 8-speed auto with manual shifting, and 5.0L V8 with throaty exhaust rumble.

In the end, I felt the IS-F was the better car when I factored in some practical considerations.

1.) Lexus gave it an *actual* spare tire instead of canned air. I could not overstate how important I feel that is to my peace of mind on a long trip in a sport touring sedan, than to be caught in the middle of nowhere with a cut sidewall waiting on a flatbed hauler because there are no appropriate tires within 150 miles.

2.) Gas Guzzer. I'm not greenie, but I have an environmental awareness that makes it hard for me to knowingly plunder fossil resources, or pay a large tax to own what is a certified guzzler, (or was when I looked at them).

3.) Where possible, I reject speed limited governors. The Lexus I felt was high enough at 170 mph to overlook it, while for BMW 155 mph I felt was an unreasonable limitation for a great performance sedan, even though you could pay some money on your own to have the limiter removed, at the possible expense of losing your factory warranty coverage.

4.) Service. Does anyone treat you and your car better than Lexus?

There weren't any other models in the Lexus stable that would have enticed me, the sporty sedan buyer. I wonder how many potential RX owners have been driven away from the brand, by having me as a part of it? More than a few sure seem interested in the car judging by the interest on the showroom. I can't imagine the LFA doing any harm to Lexus image, my $0.02.

If anyone has lost their identity, it is Car and Driver not the same without the columns from the great Patrick Bedard.
Old 02-16-10, 01:19 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Isn't that the guy that said the new m3 was better than a Porsche turbo?
Old 02-16-10, 01:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was also mentioned in Car Chat. Suffice to say, a lot of us think he's off-base, and just wants to stereotype Lexus as plush cruisers. Moreover, as all the luxury brands now are building crossovers and increasingly adding hybrids, there's tit for tat; are we to say that the S400, Q5, SRX are not valid either just because they are following Lexus? He's off-base.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...way-merge.html

That editorial is also online. I agree that C&D lost something when Patrick Bedard left; I don't agree with all of his opinions but I thought he had a greater appreciation for luxury cars.

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I remembered back to Lexus' first great vehicle that started it all, the 1990 LS400 that had 250hp, accelerated like a turbine, firm suspension, rock solid chassis, air-tight cabin, that took the book from the German Luxury makers for reliability. I haven't always liked the direction the big LS sedan has taken since then, getting bigger and more plush, but I never would have identified the brand by the RX.
Exactly, the original LS is the essence of the 'E-ticket' Lexus IMO. When they pull out all the stops and deliver a knockout product. A car that sets a new standard for its category, and ranks among the best. The LS, LFA, IS-F all have elements of this. The RX is the highest-volume Lexus of late, and has many positive attributes, but it does not define the brand entirely.
Old 02-16-10, 01:27 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

its not at all shocking to see car columnists bash the lexus f line. i wouldnt be surprised if when the m and amg divisions first permeated the united states automotive industry, there was much praise for them. lexus is doing what i thought it shouldve done sooner, and that is compete in a high performance AND luxury segment. everyone will have their input on what car(s) are great, but the fact of the matter is that lexus is competing. it took nearly twenty years for the m and amg to be this good, and for lexus to research and see what the market wanted, it only shows that the F performance line is highly sought after.

the reasons Reciprocal mentioned above only emphasized the luster of the Lexus F division. it correlates with the luxurious nature of lexus' reputation as well as the reliability and safety that lexus/toyota have spent decades building. most importantly was the fourth point mentioned: service. the service and customer service is unparalleled by any other car manufacturer. not to mention the other competitors in the high performing/luxury segment (BMW's M and Mercedes Benz AMG) are highly prone to malfunctions and high maintenance. lexus has stood for reliability and luxury. it did not harm its image by creating the "F" branded marquee; it simply enhanced the greatness of lexus. if bmw and mb can create these type of cars, why is Car and Driver bashing lexus for doing the same? it also says a lot if car columnists have to rhetorically criticize the lexus name for creating such an already popular new division- the F. IS F and LFA are only the cusp of what lexus will unveil, and because so, i would hope columns from these car magazines will start seeing a revolutionary effect that lexus has created upon the high performing luxury segment.
Old 02-16-10, 06:05 PM
Axtellz
Rookie

Yep, Lexus has gone crazy..
Now, if they had called one of the "F" cars, say "X6", or "Cayenne" or "Panamera", well-
then it would be a stupendous exercise in diversity. How dare they!