IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No Love from Greddy or HKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 11:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It's not about having love for the car, it's the small quantities and market demand for aftermarket parts on the ISF that's little. We're rolling through a tough economic condition and everything in the auto industry is affected.
Old 02-20-10, 02:02 PM
carlosg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My theory is that major tuners don't think there is a market in lexus owners. As probably they see the lexus owners as typical old farts that would not like options in improving the performance of the car ,contrary to BMW or Mercedes Benz owners for example.
Old 02-20-10, 02:29 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosg
My theory is that major tuners don't think there is a market in lexus owners. As probably they see the lexus owners as typical old farts that would not like options in improving the performance of the car ,contrary to BMW or Mercedes Benz owners for example.
that's not true...there is a market and they know that...HOW EVER the market is not very big

if you know how manufacturing works, the more you make the cheaper the parts become...if you can't sell at high quantities, then your cost per piece goes up

all the major guys would rather spend the time and money on parts that will sell better and net them higher profits. that's what everyone wants to do, make more money right???

so if you can make a part that you can sell to 10,000 people vs a part you can sell to 1000 people...which part would you make???

in 2008, lexus sold roughly 5,000 IS-Fs...only roughly half of which came stateside... now how many of those guys will actually buy an exhaust or intake???
Old 02-20-10, 03:36 PM
carlosg
Driver

you would be amazed, I think is more a problem of perception. I'm sure they would sell more than what they can imagine, but as long as the car remains tuner unfriendly more people would prefer to go with others cars that compete in our segment.
Old 02-20-10, 03:38 PM
carlosg
Driver

trust me it's cheaper for greddy, hks fujistubo, and many other Japanese tuners to make an exhaust than for instance PTS or ISS
Old 02-20-10, 07:15 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

you would be amazed, I think is more a problem of perception. I'm sure they would sell more than what they can imagine, but as long as the car remains tuner unfriendly more people would prefer to go with others cars that compete in our segment.
i think you're also forgetting that not ALL IS-F owners want to buy an exhaust let alone modify their cars...with that being said, your market is VERY limited
also...how many of those individuals will want to buy your particular product???

also, companies like HKS and Greddy already have products for other lexus cars

trust me it's cheaper for greddy, hks fujistubo, and many other Japanese tuners to make an exhaust than for instance PTS or ISS
you are right but still, the market for the IS-F is not big enough to justify and you can TRUST me cause i am in manufacturing myself...

Last edited by HyperMKIV; 02-20-10 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 09:44 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HyperMKIV makes the point i was trying to say couple of posts back.. lol
Old 02-22-10, 06:09 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

although the IS-F is made in limited quantities...I believe the GT-R is made even less (and it costs a lot more than the F) and the aftermarket for the car is endless compared to the F...so that argument doesn't really reply...I guess it is just the GT-R has a lot more potential than the IS-F...
Old 02-22-10, 06:23 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people who buy GT-R dont leave their car stock.. one of the first mods u expect them to have is exhaust.. eventho GT-R is made in less quantities and have alot more potential then F, i still think that tunning market for the GT-R is alot bigger then F...
and i know there is a thread on here or other forums that greddy made that statement through someone's e-mail.
Old 02-22-10, 06:56 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

^^exactly!!!

it's not really fair to compare the two cars...first of all, i said that not all IS F owners will want to modify their cars...not as much as lets say the ave GTR owner would

yes, you're right that the actual production #'s are low as well, the aftermarket sales of the GTR is greater because of the type of people who drive them tend to mod cars more than the ave IS F driver

you guys can try to argue or "guess" as much as you want but the reason they haven't made much parts for the IS F yet is due to the fact that the MARKET for these parts isn't there yet...

i'm sure if you ask Joe-Z, ISS, or any other exhaust manufacturer that sells IS F exhaust how many they sold so far, you may actually be surprised at the answer. it's prob not as many as some of you imagine...even if greddy or HKS made an exhaust, how many people here would actually buy one???
Old 02-22-10, 10:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Do you know that for a fact? PTS is a company that doesn't just manufacture Joe Z exhausts and intakes.
Old 02-22-10, 10:15 PM
Wiccan
Driver School Candidate

Ok this is my first day here in the Lexus club, but i think everyone is about to hate me for what I am going to say....

Personally I have always been, and still am, a Nissan guy. Around the time the IS-F came out, the Nissan GTR came out. Now, excuse me if I offend yall, the Skyline is a freaken legendary car. Anyone who knows cars, knows the Skyline. So when we got that in the states, everything was GTR this and GTR that.

Other cars that may affect the IS-F glory might be the 370Z, G37 (AWD), Genesis.

Thats what I realized at the time that the IS-F came out. Ok, im ready for the slapping im probably going to get.
Old 02-22-10, 10:17 PM
Wiccan
Driver School Candidate

Terrible timing for the IS-F, if you asked me
Old 02-23-10, 03:22 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiccan
Ok this is my first day here in the Lexus club, but i think everyone is about to hate me for what I am going to say....

Personally I have always been, and still am, a Nissan guy. Around the time the IS-F came out, the Nissan GTR came out. Now, excuse me if I offend yall, the Skyline is a freaken legendary car. Anyone who knows cars, knows the Skyline. So when we got that in the states, everything was GTR this and GTR that.

Other cars that may affect the IS-F glory might be the 370Z, G37 (AWD), Genesis.

Thats what I realized at the time that the IS-F came out. Ok, im ready for the slapping im probably going to get.
No, you are right. Everybody looked forward to the GTR as the Skyline that America was going to finally get, and the Skyline has always been one of the ultimate tuner cars. While the 370Z, G37, and Genesis might not be at the level of the ISF, they still compete for tuner company R&D time and effort (I don't know about affecting the ISF glory though). This was Lexus' first in the F line, so companies weren't foaming at the mouth to get a hold of one. It's not like an M car where companies know that many will be sold, and many will be modded.
Old 02-23-10, 06:37 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wiccan
i believe this is true as well...the GTR does have a big following and it is very well known.

Quick Reply: No Love from Greddy or HKS