IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No Love from Greddy or HKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 07:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiccan
Ok this is my first day here in the Lexus club, but i think everyone is about to hate me for what I am going to say....

Personally I have always been, and still am, a Nissan guy. Around the time the IS-F came out, the Nissan GTR came out. Now, excuse me if I offend yall, the Skyline is a freaken legendary car. Anyone who knows cars, knows the Skyline. So when we got that in the states, everything was GTR this and GTR that.

Other cars that may affect the IS-F glory might be the 370Z, G37 (AWD), Genesis.

Thats what I realized at the time that the IS-F came out. Ok, im ready for the slapping im probably going to get.
There's no argument with that. The GTR has a long heritage. The following for the car is in greater numbers, way more than the F. No worries, we're all fans of the GTR! My favorite GTR was the R33.

Terrible timing for the IS-F, if you asked me
Very true. The F came out at the wrong time...as well as the others that came out at the same time...C63 and M3.
Old 02-23-10, 09:36 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But then why would Greddy make a SEMA IS-F and then 2 years later still not release anything????
Old 02-25-10, 06:32 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
But then why would Greddy make a SEMA IS-F and then 2 years later still not release anything????
basically for the same reason why auto manufacturers make a prototype car for a show and not produce it...to feel the market out

if there's not enough interest, they won't build it

the market demand will drive production

have you ever heard of those groups where fast food restaurants make new menu items and give them to a bunch of people to try??? the ones they like will be considered and the ones they don't won't get made...pretty simple right???
Old 02-25-10, 09:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
Because it's a prototype. The car was produced to garner interest in the kit. Trust/Greddy filed for bankruptcy since the release of the SEMA ISF. There really isn't a market for the kit to be honest. It's a plain fact, the 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 is not boost friendly. Toyota and Yamaha put a lot of engineering into maximizing power and efficiency of this motor. No company to date has created proper ECU/ECM tuning for the ISF or any Toyota/Lexus for that matter. Tuning is key to getting the most out of any F/I system. Sure there are kits available but the fact is, no one can tune it to work right.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-25-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 11:40 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Because it's a prototype. The car was produced to garner interest in the kit. Trust/Greddy filed for bankruptcy since the release of the SEMA ISF. There really isn't a market for the kit to be honest. It's a plain fact, the 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 is not boost friendly. Toyota and Yamaha put a lot of engineering into maximizing power and efficiency of this motor. No company to date has created proper ECU/ECM tuning for the ISF or any Toyota/Lexus for that matter. Tuning is key to getting the most out of any F/I system. Sure there are kits available but the fact is, no one can tune it to work right.
^^not even the tuners in japan!!!
Old 02-26-10, 09:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
have you ever heard of those groups where fast food restaurants make new menu items and give them to a bunch of people to try??? the ones they like will be considered and the ones they don't won't get made...pretty simple right???
Just like Panda Express.. they sample new dishes in different regions at different times..
I just tried their new Honey Walnut Shrimp the other day here in downtown.. I liked it!!
Old 02-26-10, 09:43 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just like Panda Express.. they sample new dishes in different regions at different times..
I just tried their new Honey Walnut Shrimp the other day here in downtown.. I liked it!!
LoL!!!
i did one of those market reseach projects for taco bell back in the day
they gave us a bunch of new stuff to try...one of which actually made it on the menu...
Old 02-26-10, 10:00 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

i'm sure if you ask Joe-Z, or any other exhaust manufacturer that sells IS F exhaust how many they sold so far, you may actually be surprised at the answer....
^^ I'm not at liberty to say, but you would actually be very surprised on the number of PTS units sold..

Originally Posted by flipside909
Do you know that for a fact? PTS is a company that doesn't just manufacture PTS exhausts
^ This is a true story.. They are heavily focused in lots of private label companies in which they are responsible for the manufacturing stage.

Joe Z
Old 02-26-10, 10:08 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

^^ I'm not at liberty to say, but you would actually be very surprised on the number of PTS units sold..

Joe Z
i'm sure i won't be that surprised...
but i bet that everyone else out there has no real idea about the true #...

either way, you make a quality product for a niche market...as long as you're making $$$ you will still make your products... that's pretty much the bottom line...

Old 02-26-10, 10:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

i'm sure i won't be that surprised...
but i bet that everyone else out there has no real idea about the true #...

either way, you make a quality product for a niche market...as long as you're making $$$ you will still make your products... that's pretty much the bottom line...

Thanks for the kind words..

As a Lexus Enthusiast for over 8 years now, its clearly not all about making money...

It’s about delivering high end quality products with out the high end $$$ price tag to our fellow IS owners.

I already spend over 50 hours a week at a job that has nothing to do with the automotive parts industry..

Joe Z
Old 02-26-10, 10:30 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the kind words..

As a Lexus Enthusiast for over 8 years now, its clearly not all about making money...

Joe Z
i know it's not ALL about making money...but if you didn't make any money, you wouldn't do it...well, the making parts and selling it part...

Old 02-26-10, 10:51 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok this is my first day here in the Lexus club, but i think everyone is about to hate me for what I am going to say....

Personally I have always been, and still am, a Nissan guy. Around the time the IS-F came out, the Nissan GTR came out. Now, excuse me if I offend yall, the Skyline is a freaken legendary car. Anyone who knows cars, knows the Skyline. So when we got that in the states, everything was GTR this and GTR that.

Other cars that may affect the IS-F glory might be the 370Z, G37 (AWD), Genesis.

Thats what I realized at the time that the IS-F came out. Ok, im ready for the slapping im probably going to get.
I think most of us will agree with you on this one. Anyone who is a car enthusiast has been looking forward to seeing the GTR over any car for a long time.
Old 02-26-10, 02:32 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you joking me ?... If I was a is-f owner I would be VERY insulted , to have my F compared to a genesis ..
Or a 370z .... Those cars aren't even the same class

You should be comparing those against my IS350 , and even then the is350 is beter .. Not to be biased
But it is what it is
Old 03-01-10, 07:59 PM
Wiccan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D
Are you joking me ?... If I was a is-f owner I would be VERY insulted , to have my F compared to a genesis ..
Or a 370z .... Those cars aren't even the same class

You should be comparing those against my IS350 , and even then the is350 is beter .. Not to be biased
But it is what it is
That just sounds silly.

"UMMM, excuse me guys, i need a class of my own since apparently I refuse to fit into a similar car class, soooooo, pretty please, make a new car class up for me and call me in the morning. Oh and by the way, next time have some coffee ready for me and throw out the red carpet."

Ok here are some facts....

Displacement------------IS-F: 5.0 V8;;;;;;;370Z: 3.7 V6 (duh)
Cost--------------------IS-F: $58K;;;;;;;;;370Z: $34K
Crank HP----------------IS-F: 416 horsepower at 6600 rpm;;;;;;;370Z: 332 hp at 7000 rpm
Redline------------------IS-F: 6800 rpm;;;;;;;;;;370Z: 7500 rpm
0-60--------------------IS-F: 4.6 sec (official);;;;;;;370Z: 4.7 (official)
1/4 mile-----------------IS-F: 12.5 sec;;;;;;;;;;370Z: 13.3 sec
Brakes-----------------Same Brembo 6 piston calipers w/ 14" rotors
Piston Bore-------------IS-F: 94.0 mm;;;;;;;;;;370Z: 95.5 mm
Stroke-----------------IS-F: 89.5 mm;;;;;;;;;;;370Z: 86.0 mm
Compression------------IS-F: 11:8;;;;;;;;;;;;;;370Z: 11:1

If you were to be bias and stand there looking at those numbers (knowing what exactly you are looking at), you would think that those 2 cars are pretty close as far as Power, Specs, and expected performance.

Then if you really just want to be a Lexus guy and say Lexus forever...THERE IS A $24K DIFFERENCE.
Imagine $24K of performance add-on, and you know there are tones out for the Z.

The Hyundai Genesis put out even better numbers than the 370Z. The Genesis has a 3.8 L V6 that pushes 330 hp at 7000 rpm. Forged pistons that have a low compression ratio of 8:3:1 and Hyundai even went on and said you could even boost it up to 29 psi. OMG!!!! They were expecting everyone to boost the Genesis and even left enough room for a large front mount intercooler, seriously. The Genesis 0-60 is 5.8 sec, but reaches the 1/4 mile at 14.06 sec.
AND HERE IS THE BEST PART: The 3.8 L V6 Coupe starts at $25K.

Anyways....I just dont want some one to come out and look like a fool yelling out that it is an insult to compare the 370Z, G37, and the Genesis to the IS-F before looking at the numbers.

But of course, everyone has that prefered image and yes the car would be the selling point to the buyer. Someone might rather be seen in a lexus IS-F and vise-versa.

I really wasnt expecting the numbers I found. I was also not expecting them to be that close. i was honestly thinking the IS-F would have a huge edge over the others. But the Genesis was the biggest surprice to me. I dont know about yall, but I would be leaning towards the Hyundai Genesis.

I would like to hear what yall have to say.
Old 03-01-10, 09:31 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't want anything from Greddy to be on my IS. i don't want people to confuse my lexus with honda civics, integras, scion tc and etcs out there.... thats just gonna make our Lexus look real cheap. It's like putting a greddy on a m3, i would feel really insulted... if i am a m3 owner..

i guess Lexus is just not a tuner's car.....

Last edited by someboy; 03-01-10 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: No Love from Greddy or HKS