IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus factory brake "upgrade" for the IS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 04:19 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus factory brake "upgrade" for the IS??

Ladies and Gents,

A friend of mine who owns an IS-250 AWD said that the last time he was at the dealership for some work, the service advisor told him that there was a Lexus sponsored brake "upgrade" program and that they would replace his front brake pads at no cost. The friend said that the service advisor said the upgrade was applicable to all IS's. Anyone hear of this program and, if so, does it apply to the IS-F as well? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-10, 04:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Not true for the IS-F. Only the IS250 and IS350. It's not an "upgrade" it's intended to reduce the amount of dust the brakes leave all over the wheels.
Old 03-02-10, 04:50 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not true for the IS-F. Only the IS250 and IS350. It's not an "upgrade" it's intended to reduce the amount of dust the brakes leave all over the wheels.
I am astounded to hear this and to find out that the stooges at Lexus engineered this for the baby IS's knowing all along that the IS-F needs this mod far more than the other cars. Makes me sick to my stomach to hear this and please don't think I am shooting the messenger as it isn't my intention.
Old 03-02-10, 06:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I am astounded to hear this and to find out that the stooges at Lexus engineered this for the baby IS's knowing all along that the IS-F needs this mod far more than the other cars.
Does the IS-F suffer from excessive front brake dust (like the IS250/IS350)? That's what the revised front pads address.
Old 03-02-10, 07:10 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the isf has grey wheels. they look dirty already, haha. i guess lexus figured it wouldnt make much of a difference
Old 03-02-10, 08:11 PM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

Yes i think they make lots of dust!
Old 03-02-10, 08:15 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Does the IS-F suffer from excessive front brake dust (like the IS250/IS350)? That's what the revised front pads address.
better daily driving braking performance = more dust
its the pros/cons

The IS-F does suffer from it because the rotors are cross-drilled (eats up pads quicker) and they are soft as well as the pads. There are no updated pads for the IS-F. It's normal to get excessive dust from a performance car.

The updated pads for the ISX50 reduce dust, however, braking power is greatly diminished and the driver will notice it right away. The "bite" is gone. If you want the updated pads you can get them warrantied at your dealer if your car applies. Lexus does not offer a "upgrade program." That service adviser is just referring to the updated pads.

I recommend sticking with the original pads, you'll regret the braking feel with the new pads. It's just an option that Lexus gives to customers, which is great for those that complain about the dust.

FWIW I work in parts at Lexus of Westminster

Last edited by K3RRYB; 03-02-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 11:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

FWIW, I had the low dust pads on my IS350 for 40k miles. They lost nothing but the dust. They were great street pads with excellent feel. There was zero performance loss from my perspective.
Old 03-03-10, 07:04 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by K3RRY
The updated pads for the ISX50 reduce dust, however, braking power is greatly diminished and the driver will notice it right away. The "bite" is gone.
Good golly man this is incredible to hear! I hope Lexus had/has everyone sign a release acknowledging the fact that the braking power is diminished or there will be a rash of lawsuits from everyone in an IS who rear-ends another vehicle because (s)he couldn't stop in time. Good luck Toyota and you have my sympathies!
Old 03-03-10, 07:07 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes the brake dust is way past excessive and, even worse, the dust is corrosive and eats the finish on the wheels. I've had my wheels refinished under warranty after only 5k miles even though I cleaned them religiously prior to that. I changed to Carbotech pads and have almost zero dusting and the braking effect is still as good as the OEM pads IMHO.

Last edited by jkeifer3; 03-03-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K3RRY
better daily driving braking performance = more dust
its the pros/cons

FWIW I work in parts at Lexus of Westminster
Not true, I actually own and drive the IS350 and experienced the lower brake dust and no change in performance that resulted from the pad change.

Braking power is not diminished. The bite is not gone, whatever that is. Only a very slight improvement in modulation is noticed and it's unlikely most drivers will even notice that.

Note: I had the low dust pads installed in May 2009.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-03-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 08:02 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

I had the brake pads changed. very little dust and did not see a drop in performance.
Old 03-03-10, 09:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FWIW, I had the low dust pads on my IS350 for 40k miles. They lost nothing but the dust. They were great street pads with excellent feel. There was zero performance loss from my perspective.
I'm with you on this one... Best mod I ever did on my IS350.. LoL

Joe Z
Old 03-03-10, 09:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Yes the brake dust is way past excessive and, even worse, the dust is corrosive and eats the finish on the wheels. I've had my wheels refinished under warranty after only 5k miles even though I cleaned them religiously prior to that. I changed to Carbotech pads and have almost zero dusting and the braking effect is still as good as the OEM pads IMHO.
Which Carbotech pads did you go with???

Also, do they have a rear application as well??

Brake Dust is a biotch on the IS-F!!!

Thanks

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-03-10 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-03-10, 09:34 AM
Duke02
Driver

same here. had the pads replaced and no noticable decrease in performance, although I would imagine at the extreme margin, there's some difference. Just not worth all the excess dust for me. marginal benefit vs marginal cost...

Quick Reply: Lexus factory brake "upgrade" for the IS??