IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help with those familiar with both IS-F and E92 M3.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 07:50 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Need help with those familiar with both IS-F and E92 M3.

Hi there. Before anything, I've owned every V8 Lexus car made before '04 (last one was an '04 SC430), so I'm no stranger to this site (look at my post count) or Lexus.

Need your help with the following. I'm considering selling my '08 6MT M3 because I use it mostly to travel to pick-up/drop-off my daughter (college), and she's not remotely interested in learning how to drive stick (and neither my wife, and both my cars are manual). I was also disappointed at the stratospheric rpm at highway speed (3K rpm at 72), and the dismal range (awful fuel economy with only 16 gal). And DCT is out of the question (at least until it's proven and perfected). That leaves a C63 and IS-F, but no way I'd choose a Merc over the Lex . Now to my questions, since there're no IS-Fs available to drive in this crappy town, and want to know if it's even a consideration:

1- How quieter (I assume it is) is the IS-F compared to the M3, especially on the highway?
2- This is the biggie: How harsher does it ride? Read horror stories about that issue. My M3 has every option, and rides very well even with the suspension in 'normal' mode (comfort, normal, sport) with 35-series 19" wheels and tires.
3- How does the Mark Levinson compare to the 'enhanced' audio on my M3?
4- How does front seat comfort compare to the M3 on a trip? The M3 has one of the most comfortable seats I've sampled, and am curious about the IS-F ones, which at least look way better than all my previous Lexii. I'm pretty slim at 155#, if that helps.
5- What brand/model tires the car comes with? Hope they're not max summer. Or at least high-performance all-seasons are available, which is not the case for my M3.
6- Is the steering hydraulic, electrohydraulic or electric? And how about steering feel compared to the M3, especially on-center?
7- Finally, does it have about the same stability at high speed than the M3? I like to cruise around the ton, and on this desert area, there're hardly any turns, so any of these cars will handle more than I need them to.

Everything else I can find out, like fuel tank capacity, weight, mileage, insurance rate difference, etc. And I know the Lexus would be more reliable . The reason I didn't even consider the IS-F was I wanted a manual coupe, and Lexus doesn't offer neither. Plus I thought Lexus still made V8 engines with crappy belt-driven cams, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that's not the case anymore . I'd only do this if I find a way to not lose my a$$ in the trade since my car just passed the 3K-mile mark, and it's a fantastic car.

My other option is sell my manual DD and buy a used IS350, but it'd cost me more, and don't want an even higher insurance premium. All comments welcome. And thank you in advance for your help folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-03-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 08:58 PM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just they guy to talk about the comparison! I have an 08 ISF loaded and my roommate has an 09 M3 loaded.

1. The M is a little louder but not much. Stock vs stock about the same. The M has the race car sound and the F is like american muscle made is Japan. haha

2. The ride is choppy yes, but the M has a rougher ride when it is put in the highest setting. But the M has a little softer if that is what you set it at. The F is in the middle.

3. The Mark is the F is very very clean i think the mids and highs are better the sub isn't as loud and you can't feel it as much due to the fact BMW has 2 subs under the set compared to the one the lex has in the back. But you will not be disappointed!

4. I prefer the F sets due to the fact they fit me better and are a little wider. I'm 6' and 210 lbs and the M just set weird to me and couldnt get a good feel in the set. Took the car on a 2k trip one way and loved it. but anything over 20 hrs sucks.

5. The both came with the same PS2 tires and i like them... little high but are good. Don't expect alot of miles out of them only a 220 rated tire.

6. Don't exactly know what kinda steering other than it is better in the M than the F. I feel like the steering on the M is more for racing and the F is better for cruising and long trips. The F always wants to be going straight and the M not so much. I think it is Electric over hydraulic but don't quote me sorry.

7. High speeds don't worry about that. The F feels more stable i think than the M but thats only at 170 mph. Dont know after that. The M corners better and you can feel the car better, but the F just kinda feels good and then all of a sudden the back tires kick out and you have a hard time to keep on it. The M recovers better.

Other stuff: I get ave mileage of 19.7 mph and he gets like 16 mph. The tank is a little bigger but not more than a gallon but it feels lots bigger because we are always having to get him gas. Insurance is about the same. Give or take. The M is a little lighter less than 200 lbs i think. He does have the DCT and it acts like a manual but no one will have problems with it. The fact you get more when you pay is awesome. To get the same M the cost is thousands more.

Last edited by BigA_IS-F; 03-03-10 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 09:41 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^awesome pic and good review!

op, pm cabinetman - he had the F and now the M - he has given a good comparison on here and m3post already. it's hard to review a car you have not driven often, especially on these cars that can be configured in different ways and will produce very different driving experiences.
Old 03-03-10, 10:26 PM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

Originally Posted by malujerry
^^awesome pic and good review!

op, pm cabinetman - he had the F and now the M - he has given a good comparison on here and m3post already. it's hard to review a car you have not driven often, especially on these cars that can be configured in different ways and will produce very different driving experiences.
Thank You!!! It was very hard for me to pic between the c63 amg, m3, and ISF. After looking a little more and what I needed it for the F was easy.
Old 03-03-10, 11:12 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I swear this is dejavu as I wrote this review once before, let me find it and copy/paste here. We have a E93 Cab (manual) friends, my IS-F, my 04 m3 cab (SMG) and each car feels different. The e93 is stock, the e46 is also stock but my IS-F sits on KWV3 and JoeZ exhaust but here's what I have learned:

e93 m3 cab:
1) POS: Great 6-speed manual tranny, meaty steering wheel, shifts crisp with perfect clutch engagement.
2) POS: Awesome styling and aggressive look
3) POS: Firm but very compliant ride quality, not choppy or abrupt
4) Neutral: Interior is well designed but could be bland for some
5) NEG: Gas mpg is roughly 15 around city driving with sport mode off
6) NEG: Disappointing oem exhaust note, quite bland even for a V8
7) NEG: High price if you want equal options for IS-F

IS-F:
1) POS: I get easily 20+ MPG around town as long as not racing
2) POS: 8-speed tranny is smooth as silk and can almost read my mind in Sport mode, hard braking will kick in the downshift automatically!
3) POS: ML System kicks ***, this coming from an Audiophile ~ only the Audi S8 system surpasses this for an OEM setup
4) POS: Superb exhaust note for an oem system, throaty and proper for a V8
5) Neutral: Styling is love/hate
6) NEG: Very low aftermarket support (if that matters)
7) NEG: Tons of brake dust
8) NEG: Sport mode has to be engaged each time, lousy location!

I compared the ISF to the C63 AMG, RS4, and E90 m3 sedan.

-Needed an auto so the RS4 was out (it was actually my favorite car)
-Scared of horrible amg resale and dismal 10mpg with friend's c63 so that was out
-Love the m3 but hate the E90 sedan's look, no coupe since we need 4 doors

Picked the IS-F because it does everything well. 2 negatives for me was lack of a 5th seat and no fold down rear seats but so far I'm learning to live with those minor drawbacks.

hope this helps
rick
Old 03-04-10, 12:03 AM
DailyDrive
Pole Position

awesome write ups, i myself would choose an IS-F over the M3 from reading these reviews.. now only i can convince myself to trade the is350 in for an IS-F ... Good luck OP!!
Old 03-04-10, 09:59 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by BigA_IS-F
I am just they guy to talk about the comparison! I have an 08 ISF loaded and my roommate has an 09 M3 loaded.
Originally Posted by s4play
I swear this is dejavu as I wrote this review once before, let me find it and copy/paste here.
Oh man, that was EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED .

Well, I personally like a beefy V8 sound over the 'exotic' kind most M3 owners seem to crave (stock sounds the best IMO, even when it's too subdued outside indeed), so I should be happy with the IS-F. Oh, and I bet brake dust is at least equally bad on the M3, so that's not really a 'NEG' IMO.

Two things I didn't like that will require driving an IS-F and doing a bit of research is the ride, and since car comes with PS2s need to find out if there're available ultra-high or high-performance all-season tires (only a notch below max summer, but with some winter capability, which is what I need) for the IS-F sizes, since NOTHING is available for the M3, and recently had a minor accident (still a $10K claim) when a freak storm (was labeled once in a century) drifted south unexpectedly, and caught me 100 miles from home. Didn't know these tires were so bad in wet and cold or would have just turn around and stay at a hotel or something. Lost control all of a sudden when following other cars, and skated like a freaking hockey puck... on a straight road (was windy). And this is my first accident in my 48 years, so it's not like I don't know how to drive, or are not careful. Could keep some control of the car doing the right things (steering into the road, no brakes or gas, etc), but not before hitting the cattle guards and messing all my right side, but it was all cosmetic. And did I mention it was my birthday? It was supposed to be bone dry, and took the nice car. I don't understand why manufacturers are putting freaking summer tires on cars that only a handful of people take to a track, and even less when NOTHING ELSE is available. Oh well, now I know how crappy these tires are in the cold, so please take it from me; DON'T RISK your car thinking they're any better. If you're going to encounter freezing conditions, take something else folks. Thanks again to all for your comments, especially BigA_IS-F and S4Play. Have a great day, and will keep you posted.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-04-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 01:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Oh man, that was EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED .

Well, I personally like a beefy V8 sound over the 'exotic' kind most M3 owners seem to crave (stock sounds the best IMO, even when it's too subdued outside indeed), so I should be happy with the IS-F. Oh, and I bet brake dust is at least equally bad on the M3, so that's not really a 'NEG' IMO.

Two things I didn't like that will require driving an IS-F and doing a bit of research is the ride, and since car comes with PS2s need to find out if there're available ultra-high or high-performance all-season tires (only a notch below max summer, but with some winter capability, which is what I need) for the IS-F sizes, since NOTHING is available for the M3, and recently had a minor accident (still a $10K claim) when a freak storm (was labeled once in a century) drifted south unexpectedly, and caught me 100 miles from home. Didn't know these tires were so bad in wet and cold or would have just turn around and stay at a hotel or something. Lost control all of a sudden when following other cars, and skated like a freaking hockey puck... on a straight road (was windy). And this is my first accident in my 48 years, so it's not like I don't know how to drive, or are not careful. Could keep some control of the car doing the right things (steering into the road, no brakes or gas, etc), but not before hitting the cattle guards and messing all my right side, but it was all cosmetic. And did I mention it was my birthday? It was supposed to be bone dry, and took the nice car. I don't understand why manufacturers are putting freaking summer tires on cars that only a handful of people take to a track, and even less when NOTHING ELSE is available. Oh well, now I know how crappy these tires are in the cold, so please take it from me; DON'T RISK your car thinking they're any better. If you're going to encounter freezing conditions, take something else folks. Thanks again to all for your comments, especially BigA_IS-F and S4Play. Have a great day, and will keep you posted.
The brake dust on an M3 might not be as bad as you think...due to the fact that the brake's are one of the most complained about features it has.

There are many of us on here that drive our F's year round, in much worse conditions than it sounds like you encounter. There are several different tires available in different sizes for the F. I would suggest that you might want to look at a second set of rims and tires to compliment the PS2's outside of the summer. The performance of the PS2's is not something I'd be willing to give up personally. Good luck!
Old 03-04-10, 01:53 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great reviews on this thread I'm not even in the market for an M3 or another F just yet but I think there is great information on here
Old 03-04-10, 01:58 PM
FoxCars
Driver

BUY an IS F because it is a LEXUS, the quality is there and resale is strong. Also, you will NEVER see another IS F on the road in your town, they are rare and that is what I love most. People go nuts when they see it and always here, "Nice car man." It's a great feeling to hear that.
Old 03-04-10, 05:26 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxCars
BUY an IS F because it is a LEXUS, the quality is there and resale is strong. Also, you will NEVER see another IS F on the road in your town, they are rare and that is what I love most. People go nuts when they see it and always here, "Nice car man." It's a great feeling to hear that.
My feeling exactly, great information but its your decision.
Old 03-04-10, 09:47 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Great reviews on this thread I'm not even in the market for an M3 or another F just yet but I think there is great information on here
Absolutely . That's why I always liked this site. You get honest answers when you ask honest questions. Most of us here are mature, and we don't mind sharing the weaknesses of our cars, as well as recognizing the strengths of others.

Originally Posted by FoxCars
BUY an IS F because it is a LEXUS, the quality is there and resale is strong. Also, you will NEVER see another IS F on the road in your town, they are rare and that is what I love most.
I agree. I've seen one IS-F, and 2 M3s. I value reliability over everything else, and that's why I've owned so many Lexus cars in the past. However, I was always put off by their lack of driver involvement, but the IS-F seems to be a step in the right direction. Can't wait to drive one, but might take some time. Have a trip to New York pending, but don't want to drive there . Thanks again for all your comments; this is a great crowd.
Old 03-05-10, 01:37 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

I agree. I've seen one IS-F, and 2 M3s.
You're ridiculously biased
Buy another IS-F
Old 03-05-10, 05:08 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Malujerry has already posted a link to my comparison of the M3 and F, and I don't have much more to add.

There are a few little things I notice on the M that I think the F does better. The auto climate control did a better job of automatically taking care of the temp than the M does. I'm always adjusting this little **** that is supposed to blend hot and cold air to keep the cabin comfortable. I also miss the regular cup holder in the F. Granted, the second cup holder in the console isn't a great design, but I'm not a ran of the Porsche style pop out of the dash cup holders that the M has. I also still miss seeing really multi-piston brakes behind the wheels even if I have yet to experience any braking issues with the M.

As you can tell most of my complaints are pretty nit-picky. I think this is a testament to how good a car the M3 is. The IS-F is also a very good car and I wouldn't be disappointed to see one sitting in my garage in place of the M. It really comes down to what you want and need. If your kids are big or you use a large booster seat you might find the back of the F too tight. Also, as mentioned earlier, the ride will be more firm. It never bothered my wife, but everyone has a different sensitivity to things like this.

Finally, i will comment on the DCT transmission. I would say at this point (my car is a 2010 with the latest software flash) BMW has worked out most of the bugs. I've had two instances of very minor low speed lag in the 4000 miles I have owned the car. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. The shifts are fast and auto mode is fairly unobtrusive once you get used to it. I wouldn't be scared to buy another car with this transmission.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be happy no matter what you buy. I'm already saving my pennies in case the Audi RS5 makes it way here. I really dig the recent cars Audi has been putting out. Of course by the time im ready to trade there will probably be a new M3 and IS-F out or on the near horizon.
Old 03-05-10, 10:01 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by vraa
You're ridiculously biased. Buy another IS-F
WTF was that??? Geez. And I've never owned an IS-F, or an IS. Time for your medications buddy . Ignored.

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Malujerry has already posted a link to my comparison of the M3 and F, and I don't have much more to add.
Couldn't open that link, but thanks for your comments.

My only complaint with BMWs HVAC system is its lack of air flow, and how noisy it gets on the last 2 (of only 5) speeds. That was after I remembered about that little 'wheel', when I couldn't get hot air due to it being on 'blue'. I actually like the simplicity of the BMW interior, although it's not as ergonomically friendly as the Lexus. But once you figure out the iDrive, I much prefer that interface, as you can do everything with that ****, rather that poking all over the center stack.

Glad you're happy with DCT. To me, it's just too unproven at this point, and too darn expensive to fix after warranty, so don't want to deal with that issue, but it seems like the future tranny for high-performance cars, as it's definitely quicker than any manual. I just happen to enjoy shifting my own gears, even when slower than most modern autos.

Overall, I much prefer my manual coupe than an auto IS-F coupe, but if I decide to sell the M3, I'd definitely get the IS-F. I don't particularly like neither the E90 M3 nor IS-F from the rear, and I like both interiors, so it boils down to price and reliability. But the one thing that could be a deal breaker is the suspension. That reminds me of my SC430, which was the first car ever to manage to ride like crap, and handle like ***** at the same time. My guess was car's suspension was designed with regular tires, and Lexus decided on runflats after that. That's why I'm going to have to drive one first now.

I have to say at this point of my M3 experience, based on my personal experience (little with only 3K miles) and everything I've read about it, I'm prepared to keep this car after warranty, which is the first time I've considered that. No, I'm sure it wouldn't be as reliable as a Lexus, but so far it seems pretty well put together. And it's probably the last nice manual V8 coupe I'll be able to afford, hence my inclination to keep it (bought it $15K+ below MSRP brand new). If the IS-F doesn't win me over, I'm keeping it, and probably buying a used IS350 instead.

Finally, this is probably my first and last M car, since I don't personally like force induction, and seems like all M (and most other) BMW cars are going that direction. And this is the best V8 I've ever sampled, even when it's not nearly the most powerful (or torquey). It's silky smooth, sounds incredible inside and out (even in its muffled stock state), and the sound of those gear-driven cams is just intoxicating IMO. It just needs the stock bark of the AMG or IS-F . Thanks again for all the positive comments.

Quick Reply: Need help with those familiar with both IS-F and E92 M3.