Custom Exhaust with Sound Clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 11:57 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DS2k
took some digging to find this...

I recently installed the Joe-Z exhaust, and ever since I've been looking for ways to quite down the setup a bit. The noise/drone is slightly excessive for a daily car imo. I'm considering to do a similar setup as yours with the stock mufflers on the back... how do you like it so far? have you had the chance to compare your setup with a Joe-Z?

Hans
My exhaust has now changed (see my PPE thread) I now have PPE headers, and the headpipes back to the X-Pipe are new and now include a Magnaflow Cat. I did this because the cat from stock header is now gone. The balance of the exhaust (from the X-Pipe back is still the same. With the header and the new cat, the sound is slightly deeper, not louder, but deeper. There is no drone, and judging by the HP I gained with the header vs another F with a header and the JoeZ, I am happy.

The JoeZ is a great exhaust, the fit, finish, workmanship and quality is impeccable, but it's too loud for me. IMHO, it's by far the best aftermarket exhaust system available for the F. Yes, I have heard it, and driven in a car with with one. Most of the users on this forum who have it luv it, but it's just not my cup of tea. I am very happy with my setup.

I am attaching a pict of the new cat behind the PPE header.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust with Sound Clip-cat2s.jpg  
Old 03-31-11, 12:37 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Lou. I guess from your experience I was trying to gauge where would my modified setup (Joe-Z with stock mufflers) put me in terms of noise level.

In other words, if I tell you Joe-Z is a level 10 (out of 10) in terms of noise level, and stock is 1, where would you put a Joe-Z with stock mufflers on that scale? Would you expect the stock mufflers with straight pipe (like your original setup) be closer to what a stock IS-F sounds like or one with a Joe-Z exhaust?

I hope I’m making myself clear, or maybe my comparison isn’t really valid. I might just have to do it myself and find out first hand.
Old 03-31-11, 01:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^That's a tough call. From my experiences, the tone, not the loudness is determined by the resonators. I have, supposedly, the least efficient kind of glass pack. It has spiral inner core with holes for the gases to pass thru. The more efficient kind, just has holes (or perforations) in a straight tube. I don't know what kind of resonator JoeZ uses. As I have indicated my exhaust is a lot quieter than the JoeZ, but much deeper in timbre than either the stock or the JoeZ systems. The one resonator in the stock system is straight round with holes.

There was a forum member who had the same issue as you, and he also contemplated mating the stock mufflers with a JoeZ exhaust. He solved his problem by applying liberal amounts of aftermarket insulation behind the back seat and in the trunk area. He reported that the drone and noise level inside the vehicle were reduced to levels acceptable to him.

IMHO, mating the JoeZ to the stock muffler would be a good move if you are wanting to reduce noise and retain and the excellent flow characteristics of the JoeZ system. The stock mufflers are a large capacity design. They are also heavy. Again, this would, IMO, quiet your system down, yet still retain good flow.

Lou
Old 03-31-11, 01:55 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

You hit the nail right on the head lou! thanks for the in-depth analysis. Your final comment is exactly what I'm going for. It's really not just the noise level inside the cabin that's annoying, but my whole house rattles when I cold start the car in the morning! lol... to me, that's not acceptable. As long as my gains are a net positive from stock, I don't really care to lose a few HP to make for a much quieter ride.

Though I might be approaching this the wrong way completely... maybe I'm better off just getting a Borla axle-back exhaust and calling it a day, lol.
Old 03-31-11, 03:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Though I might be approaching this the wrong way completely... maybe I'm better off just getting a Borla axle-back exhaust and calling it a day, lol.
Friends don't let friends buy Borla

Lou
Old 03-31-11, 06:34 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^That's a tough call. From my experiences, the tone, not the loudness is determined by the resonators. I have, supposedly, the least efficient kind of glass pack. It has spiral inner core with holes for the gases to pass thru. The more efficient kind, just has holes (or perforations) in a straight tube. I don't know what kind of resonator JoeZ uses. As I have indicated my exhaust is a lot quieter than the JoeZ, but much deeper in timbre than either the stock or the JoeZ systems. The one resonator in the stock system is straight round with holes.

There was a forum member who had the same issue as you, and he also contemplated mating the stock mufflers with a JoeZ exhaust. He solved his problem by applying liberal amounts of aftermarket insulation behind the back seat and in the trunk area. He reported that the drone and noise level inside the vehicle were reduced to levels acceptable to him.

IMHO, mating the JoeZ to the stock muffler would be a good move if you are wanting to reduce noise and retain and the excellent flow characteristics of the JoeZ system. The stock mufflers are a large capacity design. They are also heavy. Again, this would, IMO, quiet your system down, yet still retain good flow.

Lou

That would probably be me. I was able to reduce the drone/resonance by about 2db with the placement of some B-Quiet material, but the best thing I did was installing the high flow cats which drastically reduced drone/resonance. So much so that I don't believe I would have needed to apply sound deading material to my trunk lid/backseat area.

As for the stock mufflers mating up to the JoeZ exhaust I too think it would be a great idea. They are actually not all that heavy and to me actually feel lighter than the JoeZ mufflers, but having them mated up would certainly prevent any drone/resonance and shouldn't reduce power by more than I'd say 5whp as Lou pointed out the stock mufflers are large capacity.

Last edited by caymandive; 04-01-11 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 06:55 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Friends don't let friends buy Borla

Lou
Friends don't let friends buy crushed piping.

You're losing HP and gaining a sound. No thanks. It's been proven time and time again that crushed bent piping does nothing.
Old 03-31-11, 08:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Hey Grasshopper you're probably right. The two crush bends are in the back, so not really that much of a restriction. the front bends are now mandrel bends. The rear bends were made on a bender with a large diameter radius. The restriction is certainly much less than the crush Y in the stock system, oh wait you don't have a stock system in an F, you have a 350!

Lou
Old 04-01-11, 05:37 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
...but the best thing I did was installing the high flow cats which drastically reduced drone/resonance. So much so that I don't believe I would have needed to apply sound deading material to my trunk lid/backseat area.
If I had known this, I would've have totally sold my exhuast and bought yours
Old 04-01-11, 05:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

If I had known this, I would've have totally sold my exhuast and bought yours
Don't get me wrong, the exhaust was still loud, but did not have the drone/resonance issue for the driver. Your problem though would still be the same with regards to how loud the car is and potentially making enemies of some neighbors.

Your best bet is to find some OEM mufflers to fit onto your JOEZ or order up some Dynomax Super-Turbo mufflers which are supposed to be one of the quietest performance mufflers on the market. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo
Old 04-01-11, 06:19 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Don't get me wrong, the exhaust was still loud, but did not have the drone/resonance issue for the driver. Your problem though would still be the same with regards to how loud the car is and potentially making enemies of some neighbors.

Your best bet is to find some OEM mufflers to fit onto your JOEZ or order up some Dynomax Super-Turbo mufflers which are supposed to be one of the quietest performance mufflers on the market. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo
wait... did you sell the stock ones you had already?!?!
Old 04-05-11, 10:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

New front section behind headers (before X pipe) with cats installed.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust with Sound Clip-cats-with-x-pipes.jpg   Custom Exhaust with Sound Clip-both-catss.jpg   Custom Exhaust with Sound Clip-cat-from-sides.jpg  
Old 04-06-11, 08:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

New sound clip from this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPxWgn-NpA

Lou