Old 03-09-10, 03:10 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fog light install tomorrow...

hey guys
im going to install my h11 6000 hid fog lights tomorrow

just wondering if theres any pointers u can give me

like a mounting position for the ballast?
unhooking battery(if necessary)?
going in from underneath?
or another good position like the wheel well?

or anything else I should know
that i cant think of now

Last edited by hahahaf; 03-09-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 03:51 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can either go in from underneath or thru the bottom part of the fender...they're both fairly easy to get too

as for mounting the ballast, you can prob just wire tie it up high, i wouldn't mount it to anything solid like the bumper support...it might transfer too much vibration. i'd just mount it with cable ties to some existing wire harness. i say up high so you don't get it wet...who knows, you might run thru big, deep puddles of water in the future. i've seen that happen before...

um...you shouldn't have to unhook the battery. it should be plug and play right??? nothing to splice or cut???
Old 03-09-10, 04:04 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i will probably do mines this weekend as well. thanks for the tip.
Old 03-09-10, 04:29 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After your install please post pictures of your before/final product...
Old 03-09-10, 04:35 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

just wondering how much you spent on those...

i just put some of those yellow xenon ones in mine and they're pretty dang bright:

Old 03-09-10, 04:48 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

they were like 60ish during a christmas buy/discount
I was planning on using zipties, I was wondering where the best place would be tho

not sure if its plug and play, Im pretty sure that no splicing is involved tho

ive herd of some people having to re aim headlights after the install, not sure as to why???
can anyone chime in?
Old 03-09-10, 04:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm curious, how many people get irritated by the glare of xenon foglights and/or low beams that are not meant to be xenon?

I sure do...
Old 03-09-10, 05:29 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hahahaf
they were like 60ish during a christmas buy/discount
I was planning on using zipties, I was wondering where the best place would be tho

not sure if its plug and play, Im pretty sure that no splicing is involved tho

ive herd of some people having to re aim headlights after the install, not sure as to why???
can anyone chime in?
you shouldn't have to unless you touch the headlights...
when you open up the fender well, you'll see a bunch of places you can tie them up to
i can't remember exactly where off the top of my head but i remember there being places up high...
Old 03-09-10, 05:40 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
I'm curious, how many people get irritated by the glare of xenon foglights and/or low beams that are not meant to be xenon?

I sure do...
i would say a lot of people get irritated but most cars come with hid standard low beams now so u will encounter one no matter where u go. for foglights there is a reason to convert them, one they shine brighter on the road and that makes the road more visible to the driver. so its bad for other drivers on the road but good for the driver behind the wheel.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 03-09-10 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 04:11 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

I had a busy car day yesterday

diy for the ipod kit and the nav kit and my fogs

great time, got a little frustrated at how tight the 10mm bolts were,
thats the only thing that slowed me down
the ac vent wasnt nearly as hard as it was made out to be

i got it all hooked up and when I tested, the 4 ways were on and the ipod wouldnt connect
little did I know at the time but there was another 12 pin connector near the bottom of the nav unit
2 places for input instead of one
that and getting the one bolt loose were my only issues

everything works great

my fogs are h11 6000 hid
looks great, but makes me wanna do the day lights
which i will be looking into today as long as u dont have to open the light housing, which i think u may

first 2 pics are before
3 is a comparison
last 2 are after
Attached Thumbnails fog light install tomorrow...-img_0405.jpg   fog light install tomorrow...-img_0407.jpg   fog light install tomorrow...-img_0409.jpg   fog light install tomorrow...-img_0412.jpg   fog light install tomorrow...-img_0413.jpg  

Old 03-11-10, 05:29 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i would say a lot of people get irritated but most cars come with hid standard low beams now so u will encounter one no matter where u go. for foglights there is a reason to convert them, one they shine brighter on the road and that makes the road more visible to the driver. so its bad for other drivers on the road but good for the driver behind the wheel.
Thing is, I have no problem with vehicles that come equipped with xenons from the factory, there is no annoying glare but I do recognize it with aftermarket installations. The road doesn't need to be anymore visible to a driver because lighting applications come well equipped from OEM.

Mind you, I used to think it was cool to install 6000k xenons but after being annoyed with so many cars with these types of applications, I figured it wouldn't benefit anybody, and it was just selfish to install it to look cool.

Are there JDM xenon/led foglights for the ISF? now that would be a worthwhile mod.
Old 03-11-10, 09:55 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Thing is, I have no problem with vehicles that come equipped with xenons from the factory, there is no annoying glare but I do recognize it with aftermarket installations. The road doesn't need to be anymore visible to a driver because lighting applications come well equipped from OEM.

Mind you, I used to think it was cool to install 6000k xenons but after being annoyed with so many cars with these types of applications, I figured it wouldn't benefit anybody, and it was just selfish to install it to look cool.

Are there JDM xenon/led foglights for the ISF? now that would be a worthwhile mod.
not sure about the isf but im sure the isx50 gets hid in their fogs in japan. joe z had it on his is350. i know that glare. it comes from car that dont have hid but if they put a conversion kit in they need to adjust the light to lower it cuz it will blind people. trust me when i say they make a difference on the road when it rains, for the fog light.
Old 03-11-10, 12:00 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

you make it seem like those damn Ford pick up with their non hid headlights are any better... Its not the hid kit thats the problem,, its whether or not the headlight is aimed properly...
Old 03-11-10, 12:15 PM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

+1
Old 03-11-10, 01:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
you make it seem like those damn Ford pick up with their non hid headlights are any better... Its not the hid kit thats the problem,, its whether or not the headlight is aimed properly...
Trucks do get the better of me most of the time, but at least there is no glare. Actually, yes it is the hid kit in the reflector or projector housing that was not meant to be applied with xenons. I hope you understand the difference.

Quick Reply: fog light install tomorrow...