IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New JL Audio System..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 10:42 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JL Audio System..

Alright so I've been looking around and I'm going to do a setup of a JL Audio System...

So far I'm going to do to a 13TW5 and 500/1v2 amp. I'm going to have it placed in my spare tire hub.

I'm not sure what size components I will need and was hoping to get some feedback. I want to try to fit new components without having to cut into the door, because of a bulging magnet.

any feedback will be helpful.
Old 03-17-10, 11:39 AM
slowIST
Driver

I actually used to have the 13w5 and 500/1v2 setup. It sounded clear, it just wasn't very loud in the deeper frequencies. I've read on the ISx50 side of this forum that the factory mark levinson amp has a subsonic filter at 30 hz. It doesn't cut all of the frequency, however. It still passes through some of those notes, but makes anything under 30 hz sound muddy and not nearly as loud as it should.

As for the components.. I used to run the VR's in my 95 civic hatchback. I remember them sounding great. Nice and crisp, and they were able to play loud. But they're discontinued now.

My brother currently has C5's all around in his Acura TL. They sound pretty good. A little bit too flat for me (perhaps because of the silk dome tweets, or the JL cleansweep he's running. He needs an EQ of some sort).

As for me, I'm running focal krx2 in the front doors and polyglass VR in the rear doors. I love how it sounds. The tweeters can be a little bit bright, in my opinion, so i had to turn them down by 3db's on the crossovers.

The doors did not need to be cut, but an mdf baffle/spacer was made for each speaker.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 03-17-10, 12:16 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slowIST
I actually used to have the 13w5 and 500/1v2 setup. It sounded clear, it just wasn't very loud in the deeper frequencies. I've read on the ISx50 side of this forum that the factory mark levinson amp has a subsonic filter at 30 hz. It doesn't cut all of the frequency, however. It still passes through some of those notes, but makes anything under 30 hz sound muddy and not nearly as loud as it should.

As for the components.. I used to run the VR's in my 95 civic hatchback. I remember them sounding great. Nice and crisp, and they were able to play loud. But they're discontinued now.

My brother currently has C5's all around in his Acura TL. They sound pretty good. A little bit too flat for me (perhaps because of the silk dome tweets, or the JL cleansweep he's running. He needs an EQ of some sort).

As for me, I'm running focal krx2 in the front doors and polyglass VR in the rear doors. I love how it sounds. The tweeters can be a little bit bright, in my opinion, so i had to turn them down by 3db's on the crossovers.

The doors did not need to be cut, but an mdf baffle/spacer was made for each speaker.

Good luck,
Jeff

I was thinking of the ZR Series by JL. What sizes would I need in the doors and the rears?
Old 03-17-10, 12:28 PM
slowIST
Driver

6.5 i believe. ZR650-CSi

I can't promise you those will fit all around, tho. Those speakers look mean as hell.
Old 03-17-10, 02:00 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Would go with UTOPIA from Focal!
Old 03-17-10, 04:52 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
I Would go with UTOPIA from Focal!
Those are like $5500!! vs $600 for the JL's... hrmmm
Old 03-17-10, 04:53 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slowIST
6.5 i believe. ZR650-CSi

I can't promise you those will fit all around, tho. Those speakers look mean as hell.

Yeah they look badass... Can anyone verify that it will fit all around?
Old 03-17-10, 05:40 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
those are like $5500!! Vs $600 for the jl's... Hrmmm
lol! I was joking! Get some jensens!!
Old 03-17-10, 09:42 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
lol! I was joking! Get some jensens!!
haha... I figured... anyone have any "hott" Focals? jk
Old 03-17-10, 10:25 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
Alright so I've been looking around and I'm going to do a setup of a JL Audio System...

So far I'm going to do to a 13TW5 and 500/1v2 amp. I'm going to have it placed in my spare tire hub.

I'm not sure what size components I will need and was hoping to get some feedback. I want to try to fit new components without having to cut into the door, because of a bulging magnet.

any feedback will be helpful.
You're trying to do a fake floor setup in the trunk right? You sure a 13TW5 will fit there? I remember my (very experienced) car audio installer saying that a big (12"+) shallow sub wouldn't fit in there. There's a bar or something that breaks the space up. You can fit two 10" shallows subs though. Unless the IS-F spare tire well is different.
Old 03-18-10, 08:57 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz
You're trying to do a fake floor setup in the trunk right? You sure a 13TW5 will fit there? I remember my (very experienced) car audio installer saying that a big (12"+) shallow sub wouldn't fit in there. There's a bar or something that breaks the space up. You can fit two 10" shallows subs though. Unless the IS-F spare tire well is different.
Its probably the same, but they are going to have make the bottom of the trunk raised a bit for make it fit..
Old 03-18-10, 11:24 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We do tons of stereo installs each month and I have to make a few notes here since you are upgrading what I consider one of the BEST oem setups:

1) If you just want more bass, just get a JL clean sweep and amp.sub combo but don't touch the ML front/rear speakers if you are on a budget.

2) The ML system is already damn good so my point is if you are going to replace it, I would definitely do a high caliber system using top notch componets from Focal, MB Quart, Audison, Macintosh, etc.

3) Make sure you get a high quality amplifier since even a $10k speaker will sound like crap on a cheap amplifier.

FYI: The Focal K2P power series sounds better than the Utopia line. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarly make it better! I use the Focal K2P in both my m3 and s2000, the sound will blow you away!

here's the focal speaker in all it's glory

Old 03-18-10, 11:47 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
We do tons of stereo installs each month and I have to make a few notes here since you are upgrading what I consider one of the BEST oem setups:

1) If you just want more bass, just get a JL clean sweep and amp.sub combo but don't touch the ML front/rear speakers if you are on a budget.

2) The ML system is already damn good so my point is if you are going to replace it, I would definitely do a high caliber system using top notch componets from Focal, MB Quart, Audison, Macintosh, etc.

3) Make sure you get a high quality amplifier since even a $10k speaker will sound like crap on a cheap amplifier.

FYI: The Focal K2P power series sounds better than the Utopia line. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarly make it better! I use the Focal K2P in both my m3 and s2000, the sound will blow you away!

here's the focal speaker in all it's glory

Thanks for this info s4play (Rick, right?). I am planning on installing a 12w6v2 powered by an HD750/1 amp in a custom sealed fiberglass side trunk enclosure. Planning to remove the stock sub so the bass can leak into the cabin better. Do I really need the Cleansweep? What happens if I don't get it?
Old 03-18-10, 01:05 PM
luciush
Driver

you should check out morel elate 6 3 channel components.
thats what i put in mine for the front and rear. It makes the mark levinson sound like ****! lol

Old 03-18-10, 01:26 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

I think I'm just looking for more bass. The ML system does sound good.

Should I leave the stock Sub in place or take it out?

Quick Reply: New JL Audio System..