IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 11:36 AM
farbyndrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust

This is just a thought and i hope that it doesn't get any smart remarks. Since there is really not that many options for exhaust systems would it be a better option to just go to a good shop and get a custom exhaust. Instead of 2.5 diameter that everyone offers what about a 3? Like i said before, this is just a though and it would be cool to read what other people think.
Old 03-17-10, 11:50 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are some people on this forum that have made custom exhaust... i believe they were really happy with their exhaust.
i personally thought about it also but only thing that stopped me was cost was only couple of more $$ for the exhaust and i dont have to leave my car at their shop for couple of days..
If sound is your main concern i dont think custom exhaust would hurt u...
Old 03-17-10, 11:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Hi Jose

As you know I cave a custom exhaust which I really like. In a dual system on the F with it's 5 liter normally aspirated engine, 3" diameter pipes would really be too big to encourage optimum flow. Enlarge the displacement or introduce forced induction and that would change the ball game. The stock system on your F is metric sized head pipes that are about 2.4" in diameter that flow into a single 2.7" center section with a resonator and exit via 2.1" tail pipes through high capacity mufflers. IMHO, a real dual system does a better job scavenging the exhausts gases. And again, IMHO, from what I've read through the years 2.5" piping is the right size for the F.

Lou
Old 03-17-10, 12:07 PM
slowIST
Driver

Are you thinking a single 3'' b-pipe? It might be a little tough fitting a dual 3'' exhaust under the car. Clearances in some places are already a bit tight with dual 2.5''.

Also, I dont know how much power or torque you would gain from a dual 3 inch diameter exhaust. Placement and the type of "X" pipe is important. Pls dyno before and after. I'm really curious to see how much power or torque this will make, if any, over the other true dual 2.5 setups that are available now.

If you were thinking dual head pipes- single 3'' b pipe- split back to dual mufflers.. Then it would be similar to the Japanese companies. Im not exactly sure what diameter pipes they use, but they go dual-single-dual and that seems to rid the need for an X pipe. They also claim lots of horsepower gains.
Old 03-17-10, 12:48 PM
farbyndrn
Driver School Candidate

Just got my Injen exhaust and will probably dyno after i install it. I am really leaning towards getting the Joe Z exhaust in May but just wanted to get hear if anyone had any other thoughts. And the 3' diameter would be on a duel. i didn't think about the clearance. Wish Greddy or Fujitsubo would offer a dual exhaust but then again metal is metal and the bends on the Joe Z exhaust seem effective. Would just end up paying more for the Greddy or Fujitsubo name. i really like what Lou did with his exhaust but i want a deeper sound.
Old 03-17-10, 02:01 PM
slowIST
Driver

I would honestly take out any of the guesswork and purchase the Joe Z. No hate on the Borla, or ISS tho.

From the vids and comments, the Joe Z sounds good, does not drone (i think), and fits perfect..

A couple of problems you might run into (with the metal is metal type of thinking), is how much the exhaust pipe will expand (stainless expanded more than i thought) and if they use mandrel bends. Chopping and welding mandrel bends will suffice, but there is more human error involved. If you can find a shop with a mandrel bender and a jig, I think you would be happier and it'll look cleaner. You also will be able to supply the community with a new choice in an exhaust system. But then it could potentially cost more than the Joe Z set up.

Kind regards,
Jeff