IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can we shut off the TPMS sensor/warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 04:13 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DS2k
Thanks guys... I worked at a Toyota dealership for a while and still have many friends there... sounds like it's going to be an easy fix on my end

btw, I've been reading a little more about it. I bought the wheels with the sensors already mounted. Do I need to know the the tpms IDs or can they just read them with the tool?
You need the sensor ID numbers for all 4. If you have friends at a Toyota dealership, they will need the sensor ID's to load into the Tech stream Toyota tool and then transmit into your vehicle

I believe you will have two choices

1. Demount the tires and write down all of the sensor ID's
2. Or you will need a very specific tool that can capture the transmitting ID's, which you will have to set off by lowering the pressure to start them transmitting a signal to the ECU.
Old 04-04-11, 05:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Be sure they're not already registered. There is a provision for two full sets of tire with different sensors. You access it through the satellite switch. If the person who programmed your second set did you any favors, the first set is still there.
Old 04-05-11, 11:10 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digger08
You need the sensor ID numbers for all 4. If you have friends at a Toyota dealership, they will need the sensor ID's to load into the Tech stream Toyota tool and then transmit into your vehicle

I believe you will have two choices

1. Demount the tires and write down all of the sensor ID's
2. Or you will need a very specific tool that can capture the transmitting ID's, which you will have to set off by lowering the pressure to start them transmitting a signal to the ECU.
Thanks... I just got sensor IDs for all 4 wheels. Does the spare need to be programed in as well? I don't know the ID for that :-/

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Be sure they're not already registered. There is a provision for two full sets of tire with different sensors. You access it through the satellite switch. If the person who programmed your second set did you any favors, the first set is still there.
yeah, I noticed the primary/2nd option for tires. I'll make sure the technical doesn't override the oem wheels when he does it
Old 04-05-11, 06:41 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DS2k
Thanks... I just got sensor IDs for all 4 wheels. Does the spare need to be programed in as well? I don't know the ID for that :-/

:
No worries the spare has no sensor in it, so just the 4 of them.
Old 04-05-11, 07:09 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Unhappy it figures...

With my luck, it only made sense. So I stopped at the dealership today and of course it happened to be the SAME day the management decided to crack down on side-jobs and fire anyone who is doing any. Needless to say, I couldn't get anyone to do it for me. I asked my friend to "run it" through the shop, and he said my cost is going to be ~$200!!

So now I need to find a different place to do it for a decent price... any suggestions??
Old 04-05-11, 07:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Discount Tire does it. Most of the chains do now.
Old 04-06-11, 09:47 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

So I called every tire store in town (close to a dozen places), and none can program the sensors in. Everyone told me to go the the dealer for it, and they want to charge me $180.

Given that these may not be the last set I need programed (I might get a winter setup), I'm almost convinced that my best bet at this point is buy this tool and do it myself:
http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx

It seems to have a pretty good review on the Toyota forums:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=299107
Old 04-06-11, 11:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Did you try your luck with a Toyota dealership... ??

Really, the process takes less than 5 mins to register them... with a Lexus / Toyota Techstream Laptop.

Joe Z
Old 04-06-11, 12:49 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Hey Joe-Z… I actually have tried Toyota as well (read a few posts back). I realize that it’s a super easy job, which is why I can’t get a straight answer from them...

Me: why $180, how long does it take to do??
Rep: Umm… about an hour, hour an half…
Me: I know it only takes 5-10 to program... I even have the TPMS codes! Why so long for you guys??
Rep: uhm... That’s just how much it costs!

Honestly, for the price I feel like the ateq tool is a no-brainer.
Old 04-06-11, 01:32 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Silly me...

Try the Lexus dealership where you bought the F (or your local dealership) and kindly ask the service advisor for a small favor since you know it only takes 5 mins..

$180 Labor is INSANE..!!

Joe Z
Old 04-06-11, 02:57 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

This is the exact reason that Schrader has invented the EZ-Sensors - that will not require a Techstream and can be handled everywhere in the future.
Old 04-16-11, 10:49 AM
twenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPMS reciever is behind the headunit. My tech confirmed it can be unplugged and the car basically thinks it doesn't have the TPMS system.

I'm still going the extra mile and getting a second set of sensors/adapters to work with my new 3pc wheels.
Old 04-16-11, 04:50 PM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Little help!

Winter setup has TPMS installed. I mounted the wheels on the car and Lexus dealership programmed the ID codes in (as "2nd" setup) free of charge. They got the car to recognize the winter setup and everything was gravy.

To my understanding, the OEM wheels should still be recognized by the car (as the "main" setup). I recently had the OEM wheels put back on as the weather is improving and followed all the instructions in the manual:

1) Put wheels on car.

2) Adjust cold tire pressure to desired amount in all tires, including the spare. Side question - Lexus says 36 PSI is good, what are you guys running for a nice longevity / performance balance?

3) Use satellite buttons and set car to "main" tire set.

4) Use satellite buttons and hold initialize until TPMS light blinks slowly 3 times. Give the car a moment to record baseline tire pressure. If I'm correct, if the tire pressure drops significantly from this measure, the light on the dash will illuminate.

After about 20 minutes of driving and building a sense of accomplishment haha, the tire pressure light started to blink for 30 - 60 seconds and stayed illuminated after that. According to the manual, there is a TPMS error. Now whenever I start the car, the blinking / solid light pattern happens right away. Tried initialization again, but when holding the button, the car refuses to go through the process now - it wont blink 3 times.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to re-initialize?

I know my car has good tire pressure, I've been obsessively checking in the morning before heading off to work and in the evening before heading home. I just don't like staring at the orange light on the dash. I also don't want to drive all the way to the Lexus dealership for something so minor - gas is $1.50+ per liter!

I have not had this problem with the is250 or the gs350.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 04-20-11, 05:49 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

bump. anyone?
Old 04-21-11, 03:27 PM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Silly me...

Try the Lexus dealership where you bought the F (or your local dealership) and kindly ask the service advisor for a small favor since you know it only takes 5 mins..

$180 Labor is INSANE..!!

Joe Z
I am in the same boat, i called Longo Toyota here in southern cali and they qouted me $420!!!!! i would gladly pay $180 for the sensor reprogram. I need to call lexus of cerritos to see how much they will charge me, but i am afraid it will be the same BS price. I have my new sensors with the kit sitting at home just waiting for the day to be installed and reprogramed. Joe-Z would you know of a good place here in southern cali that can do mount and reprogram my new sensors? prefereably less than 200 hahaha

thanks

Quick Reply: Can we shut off the TPMS sensor/warnings?