IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I am observing the exact same thing with my RB rotors and HC+800. Love the bite on the pads, but they're eating the rotors alive.
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (03-16-20)
Old 03-15-20, 11:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Past front & rear rotor replacements I always used the Lexus parts counter for the OEM Lexus Brembo replacements..

Has anyone had experience with purchasing the OE equivalent replacements sold directly from Brembo USA??
via RockAuto in this case. Amazing price per unit.

I've been happy with the the PMu Street pads as they are great for daily and gentile on the rotors.
I think I'm my 3rd pad slap still using a Lexus rotor within specs up Front.
Next brake job will need new front rotors & pads. Rears were done 4.5 years ago, and will only need a pad slap soon.

2008 to 2014 Lexus IS F : Brembo rotor specs & info.

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...se-2008-2014-n

Thanks

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-15-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've bought brakes for the GS F from Rock Auto. The parts they sell are what they claim to be, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them for something I planned to street drive. Not so sure if I planned for track duty.
Old 03-16-20, 12:02 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I am observing the exact same thing with my RB rotors and HC+800. Love the bite on the pads, but they're eating the rotors alive.
Sooooo... apparently I've had all four RB rotors on backwards the last year. Swapping both pairs left to right made for a much better braking feel (had severe humming before, which I'd thought was just a normal part of the slotted rotors). Either way, don't think such aggressive pads working cold as a DD for all of their miles would have had a much better outcome with regards to rotor orientation.

In other news, looks like I overpaid on the Brembo units via Autozone? After yesterday's epic experience at CoTA despite severely worn front rings, I might just return the Brembos to my local AZ and get new RB rings after all.
Old 03-16-20, 01:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Mine were marked left and right. It would be interesting to know if I am experiencing the same thing. There definitely is a humming noise.
Old 03-19-20, 12:35 PM
SCORP69
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

got you guys beat. I ordered front Brembo rotors and pads(only b/c I needed asap) from Autozone and they gave me the rear rotors and pads. I installed and was making noises I couldn't figure. I had a friend mechanic inspect for me and he noticed the issue. luckily he has account with Auto Zone and I was able to return and exchange for the right parts. ALWAYS match up the rotors you are replacing to make sure you have the right set. this is my second front brake job since owning the car since 2016. replaced second time in september.
Old 03-19-20, 01:22 PM
ISpurFect
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepstate
Thanks for the info on the PS, good to hear. Other vendors are pushing the PS as "best of both worlds" with lower dust and higher friction than NS, probably for sales.
I noticed this as well and questioned what the motives were. I assumed that it was easier for vendors to get type PS in stock compared to NS, they were able to get a good deal on PS, or they got them in an order and are having a harder time getting consumers to buy them so they are just trying to push inventory.

I purchased type NS from a vendor here and they sent me type PS which was not revealed until I opened my package. I have worked for an online retailer and sometimes consumers would purchase a product we listed as "in stock" but due to inventory error or some other issues we would not have the item in stock and the turn over time to get them would be long. Instead of cancelling the order for the consumer to shop elsewhere we would "upgrade" the consumer to a similar product that may have a little higher value. I assumed something like this happened so I didn't even bother notifying the vendor. I knew it wasn't worth the time or effort. I definitely noticed a difference between OEM and PS with bite. The stopping power is not as great but it is not bad either. The OEM have more instant stopping where these offer more smooth and gradual braking. I have also noticed a significantly less amount of dust which is nice. Very very rarely do they make any noise. I am curious to see what kind of life I will get out of these pads but overall I have been happy with these pads.
Old 07-23-20, 03:31 PM
RCFNN
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

whats the best rotors and pads for the rcf that are cheap and under 400 for the rear pair
Old 07-23-20, 04:03 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFNN
whats the best rotors and pads for the rcf that are cheap and under 400 for the rear pair
You will probably get better advice if you post this question in the RCF section.... This section is for the ISF. Also, you bought a high end RCF, why are you trying to buy "cheap brakes"?
Old 07-26-20, 08:57 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

Anyone have any experience with figs 4 corner RB BBK 380mm front and 360mm rear?
Old 07-27-20, 01:33 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

damn. that's expansive. just bolt on GSF front brakes on your car. calipers and rotors are cheap from the dealer.

380mm x 34mm rotor. bigger calipers too.
Old 07-27-20, 01:37 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by 350phi
damn. that's expansive. just bolt on GSF front brakes on your car. calipers and rotors are cheap from the dealer.

380mm x 34mm rotor. bigger calipers too.
My understanding is the calipers from the RCF/GSF won’t bolt right on.
Old 07-27-20, 02:04 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
My understanding is the calipers from the RCF/GSF won’t bolt right on.
yea an adapter is needed but works just fine.

The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (07-27-20)
Old 07-27-20, 02:06 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by 350phi
yea an adapter is needed but works just fine.
Who sells the adapter? Does the rear bolt on with an adapter as well?
Old 07-27-20, 02:37 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Who sells the adapter? Does the rear bolt on with an adapter as well?
A few seconds on google found it, but the name of the website seems a bit familiar...

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)