IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 04:23 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 350phi
yea an adapter is needed but works just fine.
Nice! I had no idea the RCF/GSF calipers bolt on to the ISF with an adapter!
Old 07-27-20, 05:53 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you get the rear RCF/GSF calipers worked out on ISF too?

Last edited by Rossi; 07-27-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 07:14 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What lip is that? looks good
Old 07-29-20, 08:04 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting. Its nice to know this option is a available. I was surprised to see the adapter pushes the caliper outward laterally. I just “assumed” RCF/GSF calipers didnt work because of the diameter, so would have thought they would need to be pushed out posteriorly.
-R
Old 07-29-20, 08:06 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

I wonder if leaving the stock rear size and going from the 360mm front to the 380mm rotors and gsf caliper would create in imbalance issue as far as braking goes. To bad the rear gsf caliper doesn’t work on the ISF.
Old 07-29-20, 01:05 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Yea I think this is our only option for upgrading the rear caliper on the ISF:

https://www.rr-racing.com/IS-F-Compe...isfrbk0001.htm

Description below:Please note that we offer 2 piece competition rear rotors as an add-on option with this kit! RR Racing Competition 2 Piece Racing Rear Rotors

Our IS-F rear brake caliper upgrade kit for the IS-F utilizes the awesome Wilwood Forged Superlite 4 piston Caliper. This caliper upgrade allows for a huge variety of low-cost rear brake pad options for the ISF. Standard 2 piston rear Brembos are highly limited in costly brake pad options. Additionally, our kit increases rear brake bias which we have found to be effective at the track, especially when coupled with a rear wing/spoiler for down force.

This kit includes the calipers, optional stainless steel brake lines, Wilwood pads, and adopter brackets. This kit DOES NOT include rotors. Please note that this kit requires ISF or RCF rear rotors.

All components in this product kit are proudly engineered and manufactured here in the United States of America.

Please click on one of the links below for more relevant detailed information about our approach to engineering great braking systems for your Lexus:
Brake System Design by RR Racing
Brake Pad Selection Guide
RR Racing Lexus IS-F Project.
Compatibility Table

Make Model Year Range Lexus IS-F 2008-2014 Lexus IS250 (RWD/AWD) 2006-2013 Lexus IS350 (RWD/AWD) 2006-2013 Lexus GS (all submodels) 2006-2012
Old 07-29-20, 07:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

If I didn't already have RB rotors, the GS F/RC F rotors would be nice. Swapping calipers is a waste of time IMHO, unless you go with the Wilwood setup simply because it's definitely lighter. There is no reason to believe the Brembo OEM calipers are inadequate for the car unless you force VDIM to rein in your bad driving (AMHIK) on the track. You'll never, ever need what the later model caliper offer on an IS F even with heavy track use. Every instructor at the track who rode in my car was very impressed with the braking from the factory (with full race pads). The only thing you can do is lower the unsprung weight and maintain the capability of the OEM setup for an improvement.

If you want the RC/GS F calipers because they look cool, go for it. Don't believe for a second you need what they offer even on a very brake intensive course, and you might actually be unhappy with the unsprung weight increase.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
f0rb1d (10-21-20), Leander311 (08-19-20), MileHIFcar (07-29-20)
Old 07-30-20, 08:40 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If I didn't already have RB rotors, the GS F/RC F rotors would be nice. Swapping calipers is a waste of time IMHO...
Totally agree, solely for bling factor, which is probably 99% of us here (myself included), youd be better off investing in good tires if stopping is your concern.
-R
Old 07-30-20, 10:45 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

If I didn't already have RB rotors, the GS F/RC F rotors would be nice. Swapping calipers is a waste of time IMHO, unless you go with the Wilwood setup simply because it's definitely lighter. There is no reason to believe the Brembo OEM calipers are inadequate for the car unless you force VDIM to rein in your bad driving (AMHIK) on the track. You'll never, ever need what the later model caliper offer on an IS F even with heavy track use. Every instructor at the track who rode in my car was very impressed with the braking from the factory (with full race pads). The only thing you can do is lower the unsprung weight and maintain the capability of the OEM setup for an improvement.

If you want the RC/GS F calipers because they look cool, go for it. Don't believe for a second you need what they offer even on a very brake intensive course, and you might actually be unhappy with the unsprung weight increase.
Are GSF/RCF rotors swappable with the stock calipers?
Old 07-30-20, 12:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^Back ones are, fronts are not.

Lou
Old 07-30-20, 02:54 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Back ones are, fronts are not.

Lou
yep. back RCF/GSF rotor are exactly the same as ISF. matching GSF/RCF rotors on this ISF.

the front rotors will have to match the caliper.

yes I agree, it's 99% bling factor. the factory ISF brakes are very nice.
@MileHIFcar, I think you're right. only solution for 4 pot rear right now.
Old 07-31-20, 12:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
Are GSF/RCF rotors easily swappable with the stock calipers?
Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Back ones are, fronts are not without some kind of adapters.

Lou
Corrected for truth. Anything can be made to fit, it's just how hard will it be and what will you need to fabricate to make it happen.
Old 08-19-20, 12:21 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Every instructor at the track who rode in my car was very impressed with the braking from the factory (with full race pads). The only thing you can do is lower the unsprung weight and maintain the capability of the OEM setup for an improvement.

110% agree... FWIW, riding along w/Rafi in RR Racing's IS-F at CoTA (just as Covid started) showed me the most incredible braking I've ever experienced, a close second only to my buddy's P1 that held the road car lap record there for a while... super psyched to finally have wing/slicks on for a similar feel in my own car soon.

Are you staying with the PMu's and RB rotors after seeing them destroyed so quickly like mine did? I already had a backup set of HC800's, so I'm giving them another shot with the rotors swapped to their "correct" L/R orientation. Time will tell...

Last edited by Leander311; 08-19-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 11:27 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 273 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
... the Ferodo DS2500 front and Project Mu HC+800 rear package strikes a very nice balance of price for performance and street manners. We were doing so many orders for Ferodo fronts with the Project Mu rears that we just put a package deal together:
FERODO DS2500 FRONT & PROJECT MU HC+800 REAR LEXUS IS-F PACKAGE SPECIAL
Placed an order for the @flowrider pad recipe this afternoon. Replacing EBC Yellow pads with rears @ 20% remaining and rotors near the service limit. I have had two good experiences with EBC Yellows on lighter FWD cars, but I am starting to wonder if they do not do as well on heavier cars with full monoblock/fixed caliper systems.
Old 02-22-21, 09:02 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^ great choice, big fan of this setup.

I just placed an order too. Great deal @SpeedFreaksUSA , hoping Matt still has some rear HC 800+ pads left in stock as those are already discontinued.

Also still wondering, if Matt got anywhere with the Ferodo DS2500 pads for the rears he was trying to get produced for ISF some time back.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)