IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 09:46 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
^^^ great choice, big fan of this setup. I just placed an order too.
@ChpEng, my order arrived on Saturday, I only received the rear PM HC800 set, did you get your ferodos ?
I emailed @SpeedFreaksUSA twice, no word yet. It seems the package deal is no longer an option on their website. Ferodo pads have new disclosure about 4-5 weeks wait. Just was hoping to get a confirmation that they are still coming.
Old 03-01-21, 10:25 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

@ChpEng, my order arrived on Saturday, I only received the rear PM HC800 set, did you get your ferodos ?
I emailed @SpeedFreaksUSA twice, no word yet. It seems the package deal is no longer an option on their website. Ferodo pads have new disclosure about 4-5 weeks wait. Just was hoping to get a confirmation that they are still coming.
@Rossi, Ferodo's arrived today via UPS ground, drop-shipped from Essex Parts in North Carolina. Did not get a tracking number or email alert from SF for this shipment. My PM's arrived last Thursday with a UPS tracking number. When I checked the SF website after receiving the PM's Thursday, I too noticed the package deal had disappeared and the 4-5wk wait note for Ferodo's. I had been planning to call SF today to confirm status, but then UPS arrived mid-morning. I experienced a similar lack of SF response to an email ping, so I suppose folks are busy.

Side note: it seems to me that UPS tracking logistics gets fouled up with drop-ship arrangements.
The following users liked this post:
Rossi (03-01-21)
Old 03-01-21, 10:32 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by ChpEng
@Rossi, Ferodo's arrived today via UPS ground, drop-shipped from Essex Parts in North Carolina. Did not get a tracking number or email alert from SF for this shipment. My PM's arrived last Thursday with a UPS tracking number. When I checked the SF website after receiving the PM's Thursday, I too noticed the package deal had disappeared and the 4-5wk wait note for Ferodo's. I had been planning to call SF today to confirm status, but then UPS arrived mid-morning. I experienced a similar lack of SF response to an email ping, so I suppose folks are busy.

Side note: it seems to me that UPS tracking logistics gets fouled up with drop-ship arrangements.

Thank you for letting me know. Glad to hear that it’s just logistics, hopefully any day now.
CzarekS (10-12-23)
Old 03-02-21, 12:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow F y i

Recently learned the 2018+ WRX STI uses the same front caliper / front brake pad specs as our IS F's

Not the same front rotors and nothing on the rears..

Joe Z

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
MileHIFcar (03-02-21), minator (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 10:40 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Good to know!.....My brother just picked up a 2020 WRX with the performance package. The WRX is now available (performance package) with Brembos instead of just the STI getting the Brembo treatment. I wonder if it's the same size caliper on the WRX package as well?🤔
Old 03-02-21, 11:13 PM
Rossi
Racer

Thank you for letting me know. Glad to hear that it’s just logistics, hopefully any day now.
Arrived today. All good.
ChpEng (03-02-21)
Old 05-01-21, 09:48 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

@Rossi or @flowrider I had a shop install new brake parts (rotors, pads, lines, caliper 'hardware' kits, flushed fluid). What are the specific bedding instructions which come with the Ferodo DS2500 FRP3100H pads? I recall there was a slip of paper in the box, but unfortunately I left everything at the shop. I have bedded pads many times, curious about Ferodo's specific recommendations.
Old 05-01-21, 10:11 AM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by ChpEng
@Rossi or @flowrider I had a shop install new brake parts (rotors, pads, lines, caliper 'hardware' kits, flushed fluid). What are the specific bedding instructions which come with the Ferodo DS2500 FRP3100H pads? I recall there was a slip of paper in the box, but unfortunately I left everything at the shop. I have bedded pads many times, curious about Ferodo's specific recommendations.

Honestly, just a standard bedding process.
Old 05-01-21, 06:10 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Honestly, just a standard bedding process.
Thanks @Rossi Just curious, how long have you typically "gone gentle" with new Ferodo's on new rotors prior to heat cycling?

It has been years since I have used anything other than EBC Yellow, which have an abrasive "brake-in" layer and painfully verbose guidance perhaps best summarized as "Go easy for a couple tanks of fuel, check for full-width contact band on rotors, if present then take 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph, cool down until cool to the touch, repeat if desired. Process may take longer and need to be repeated if paired with new rotors." I have always been happy with one heat cycle session on the Yellows on both new and used rotors, but I followed the "go gentle" period and cool down guidance carefully.

My Centric 128.44164 and 128.44163 rotors came with a light coat of machine oil, on wear surface and even inside the vents. Never seen so much oil on new rotors...so I know there is stuff that needs to be cooked off here.

I saw your previous post#397 with specifics on # cycles, thanks for that.
Old 05-04-21, 03:44 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Wanted to post up here to apologize for being MIA on here for a while. It's been chaotic, especially recently with little to no visibility on inbound items from our vendors overseas. We've been trying to bring in as much inventory as possible to control it ourselves as much as possible since the current supply chains are a mess.

As some of you noticed we sold out of our DS2500 front / HC+800 rear IS-F brake package and had to take it off the website but we did just buy out all the front DS2500 inventory and rear HC+ inventory we could get our hands on to keep this combo going for now. Here is the updated link to that brake package: FERODO DS2500 FRONT & PROJECT MU HC+ REAR LEXUS IS-F PACKAGE SPECIAL.

We're still trying to make DS2500 rear pads happen but there is such a backlog of pads to make that Ferodo has temporarily halted all custom batch requests until at least Q3 of this year.

Also I've been noticing we're having issues with our customer service account getting too buried so please if you are going to email just send an email to me directly - matt@speedfreaksusa.com to ensure you get a quick response.

-Matt M.
Old 05-04-21, 10:23 PM
md6380
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I am observing the exact same thing with my RB rotors and HC+800. Love the bite on the pads, but they're eating the rotors alive.
Just to share, I've seen this same feedback on other platforms, that the HC+800 eats rotors. I run them on an S2000 w/ 2 piece giro disc rotors. I think they're a great dual duty (track and street) pad, but they can eat rotors, dust, and squeak once the transfer layer wears off, which will happen after some time on the street. This can be fixed by doing another hard breaking session to get a good transfer layer on the rotors.
Old 05-05-21, 09:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by md6380
Just to share, I've seen this same feedback on other platforms, that the HC+800 eats rotors. I run them on an S2000 w/ 2 piece giro disc rotors. I think they're a great dual duty (track and street) pad, but they can eat rotors, dust, and squeak once the transfer layer wears off, which will happen after some time on the street. This can be fixed by doing another hard breaking session to get a good transfer layer on the rotors.
Keeping a transfer layer is what is hard especially with a car primarily used on the street. It only gets worse with the thicker RB rotors because they're so heat tolerant.
md6380 (05-05-21)
Old 05-05-21, 09:55 AM
md6380
Rookie

Keeping a transfer layer is what is hard especially with a car primarily used on the street. It only gets worse with the thicker RB rotors because they're so heat tolerant.
Along the same lines, it’s probably worth explicitly mentioning that the more heat tolerant your pads and rotors (2-pc, high temperature tolerant pads, bbk, etc), the harder it is to get a proper bed in procedure done. I’ve seen some initially complain that the HC+800 squeaks a lot, but from my experience it’s from an insufficient bed in, so there’s not a good transfer layer. You really have to get them hot which is harder than a regular street pad.
Old 05-05-21, 09:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by md6380
Along the same lines, it’s probably worth explicitly mentioning that the more heat tolerant your pads and rotors (2-pc, high temperature tolerant pads, bbk, etc), the harder it is to get a proper bed in procedure done. I’ve seen some initially complain that the HC+800 squeaks a lot, but from my experience it’s from an insufficient bed in, so there’s not a good transfer layer. You really have to get them hot which is harder than a regular street pad.
I never accepted the software update that stops the driver from using brake and gas at the same time. I literally ride the brakes on the gas at ~70 in 5 second bursts about 10 times to get the pads hot. It's not easy and really confuses other drivers on the freeway.
Old 05-05-21, 12:52 PM
md6380
Rookie

I never accepted the software update that stops the driver from using brake and gas at the same time. I literally ride the brakes on the gas at ~70 in 5 second bursts about 10 times to get the pads hot. It's not easy and really confuses other drivers on the freeway.
You're "that" guy on the freeway that I try to avoid! LOL

It's funny you mention that because whenever I see a european car with their brake lights on while moving, I think electrical issue. When I see somebody in a sports car doing the same, I think the person is bedding in their race pads and I should give them space! LOL

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)