IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 10:29 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Are the Carbotech 1521 still the pad of choice for low dust? My OEM pads are finally wearing down some, and I’m tired of cleaning wheels. Will these survive with a couple track days a year, or is it better to run something else?

https://speedfreaksusa.com/i-2390388...e-special.html
Old 05-06-21, 11:39 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Are the Carbotech 1521 still the pad of choice for low dust? My OEM pads are finally wearing down some, and I’m tired of cleaning wheels. Will these survive with a couple track days a year, or is it better to run something else?

https://speedfreaksusa.com/i-2390388...e-special.html
If you're tracking the car you really should be looking elsewhere - 1521 is an excellent low dust street compound but just don't have the heat tolerance required for track work.

-Matt M.
Old 05-06-21, 05:02 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
If you're tracking the car you really should be looking elsewhere - 1521 is an excellent low dust street compound but just don't have the heat tolerance required for track work.

-Matt M.
Any track friendly pads that don’t soak the wheels in dust like OEM, or is that just par for the course? If not, any issues with having a track set and swapping them out for street use? I’ve honestly never bedded pads and never needed to. I just throw them in and drive like the rest of America. Any adverse effects with swapping back and forth?
Old 05-06-21, 07:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Any track friendly pads that don’t soak the wheels in dust like OEM, or is that just par for the course? If not, any issues with having a track set and swapping them out for street use? I’ve honestly never bedded pads and never needed to. I just throw them in and drive like the rest of America. Any adverse effects with swapping back and forth?
I did this a lot with 1521s and XP12s. Never had a problem.
Old 05-07-21, 06:40 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I did this a lot with 1521s and XP12s. Never had a problem.
I don’t mind swapping pads at all with a lift going in soon. Not much more work then swapping wheels for the track.
Old 05-14-21, 05:40 AM
Jwconeil

My pad wear indicators really started crying yesterday, so I ordered the 1521s. I noticed my rotors have a lip on them, and then realized I’ve never actually replaced rotors from wear. I have only ever replaced rotors from warping. How do you measure them, and what measurement am I looking for? They turn smooth with close to 40k miles on the car.
Old 05-14-21, 07:29 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

Use a micrometer (preferred) or calipers

Front brake disc thickness
Standard 30.0 mm (1.18 in.)
Minimum 28.0 mm (1.10 in.)

Front brake disc runout
Maximum 0.06 mm (0.00236 in.)

Rear brake disc thickness
Standard 28.0 mm (1.10 in.)
Minimum 26.0 mm (1.02 in.)

Rear brake disc runout
Maximum 0.06 mm (0.00236 in.)
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (05-14-21)
Old 05-14-21, 02:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Rotors don't warp. They get uneven pad deposits, and form cementite hard spots, but they don't warp.

Easy check for replacing the disc is to look at the lip. You only get 1mm per side. If the lip is deeper than 1mm, the disc is toast.

This is much easier on the RC F and GS F. Just look for the slots. If they're gone and only the holes remain, the disc is done. Same is true for the RB rotors from Figs.
Rickna (05-14-21)
Old 05-14-21, 05:18 PM
Jwconeil

I’m headed to harbor freight tomorrow to grab something that could even measure a MM.
Old 05-14-21, 05:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I’m headed to harbor freight tomorrow to grab something that could even measure a MM.
You want something similar to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/VINCA-DRGA-...dp/B0757HR4C4/

or this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Fowler-Nsk-...dp/B00063UH86/

I'm a tool hoar, so I'd buy something from Mitutoyo first, but either of these will do.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-14-21 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-15-21, 06:53 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I try to keep my comments constructive/helpful but this is hilarious, lol. Are precise measurements not a thing in the US?

In order to not start an online war about metric v. imperial, I will add that it's definitely a good idea to replace pads & rotors at the same time, if possible. I replaced my worn (original) rotors with ~66k km on the clock recently, but kept the same pads since my NS400 are still at >50% life. Boy, was it a pain to get the pads to lay flat again. It took some sanding, three bed-in procedures and few thousand km of driving to get things stopping optimally again. Original rotors developed "waves" to them that transferred onto the pads.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Brembos, or even upgrade to 2pc rotors rather than Raybestos. My F doesn't see track use, or anything to really justify or warrant an expenditure like 2pc rotors, but seeing that slim ring of surface rust on the hub/face is annoying. And that's with zero use in the rain or in winter. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-15-21, 09:26 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by M4rk
I try to keep my comments constructive/helpful but this is hilarious, lol. Are precise measurements not a thing in the US?

In order to not start an online war about metric v. imperial, I will add that it's definitely a good idea to replace pads & rotors at the same time, if possible. I replaced my worn (original) rotors with ~66k km on the clock recently, but kept the same pads since my NS400 are still at >50% life. Boy, was it a pain to get the pads to lay flat again. It took some sanding, three bed-in procedures and few thousand km of driving to get things stopping optimally again. Original rotors developed "waves" to them that transferred onto the pads.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Brembos, or even upgrade to 2pc rotors rather than Raybestos. My F doesn't see track use, or anything to really justify or warrant an expenditure like 2pc rotors, but seeing that slim ring of surface rust on the hub/face is annoying. And that's with zero use in the rain or in winter. You get what you pay for.
The precision part is the issue. I have tape measures that measure in mm, but measuring only one requires more of a precision tool. I personally wish we would use the metric system.
Old 05-15-21, 10:08 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

The precision part is the issue. I have tape measures that measure in mm, but measuring only one requires more of a precision tool. I personally wish we would use the metric system.
My apologies, I forgot that measuring rotor thickness accurately without a caliper or other appropriate tool is not a trivial matter. That was one of the few projects I actually used my el cheapo caliper on..
Jwconeil (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 11:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by M4rk

Brake pads never "lay flat" especially on drilled rotors. I've been through 5 sets of OEM/OEM style rotors on the front and at least 8 sets of pads not including 3 sets of track pads. The process you described sounds bizarre compared to my experience. I've never needed more than a single bedding with any pad other than the HC+800. It really sounds like there was some residue on the rotors if they were incapable of bedding NS400s on the first try.
Old 05-15-21, 12:34 PM
Jwconeil

I’ve noticed some rotors come thoroughly covered in oils. I had problems bedding pads on another car (the first time I tried to bed pads ever), and it didn’t work well. Long story short, I should have degreased the rotors. It probably would have helped. I suspect my problem was also related to some faulty autozone pads, but I won’t get on that soap box.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)