IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

REMOVAL OF OEM DIFF UNIT and OS GIKEN UNIT REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 10:21 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will have data this sunday. after that the suspension gets torn out for a new set up.
Old 04-25-10, 08:39 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

well guys the Diff has some track time. And its amazing. The preloads are set just perfect for the on and off of the locking of the diff. IT works great with the traction control on just as much when its off. Unfortunately a rock decided to make its home in my axle boot and spun it almost dry that I had just a few laps on the Diff. But coming out of the hairpins with the right power and suspension setup the diff IS AMAZING. The hookup and control is there. But with too much power out of the turn will result in oversteer. at this moment i am trying to fix that with suspension since the car has zero understeer. I will keep posting up pics and info on the results. I have a suspension setup that should be in late may that will help tremendously. the current setup is great for DD and some spirited driving and some track time. With the car going under some major retuning I should have some great data for everyone that is following this LSD thread..
Old 04-26-10, 12:00 AM
zenbert
Driver

Woot! Thanks for the update and keep it coming!
Old 04-26-10, 12:06 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this is my next big mod for sure.
Old 04-26-10, 03:14 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

[IMG][/IMG]

heres a pic..
Old 04-26-10, 06:15 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Nice F!
Old 04-26-10, 09:34 PM
zenbert
Driver

Originally Posted by trackdood
[IMG][/IMG]

heres a pic..
hey hEY HEY! Looking hot!!
Old 04-27-10, 12:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Do you have proper racing seat(s) yet, or is this pic with the OEM seats still installed? I so wish I had as much headroom as you do with my helmet on.
Old 04-27-10, 12:42 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

yes, there is a cobra carbon suzuka gt seat in there. i would say a 6ft plus person would fit fine in the car with helmet. With lower mounts and a seat that sits lower as well.
Old 04-27-10, 10:29 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

[IMG][/IMG]

heres another pic...
Old 05-01-10, 01:29 PM
lexxxo13
Driver School Candidate

car is looking awesome...I see you got some Volk wheels now..right on....Hopefully I can meet up with you and Dang for the next RTA event..
Old 05-03-10, 10:09 AM
Ekorre
Rookie

well guys the Diff has some track time. And its amazing. The preloads are set just perfect for the on and off of the locking of the diff. IT works great with the traction control on just as much when its off. Unfortunately a rock decided to make its home in my axle boot and spun it almost dry that I had just a few laps on the Diff. But coming out of the hairpins with the right power and suspension setup the diff IS AMAZING. The hookup and control is there. But with too much power out of the turn will result in oversteer. at this moment i am trying to fix that with suspension since the car has zero understeer. I will keep posting up pics and info on the results. I have a suspension setup that should be in late may that will help tremendously. the current setup is great for DD and some spirited driving and some track time. With the car going under some major retuning I should have some great data for everyone that is following this LSD thread..
track dood, have you considered Ohlins at all for your suspension needs? If so, could you tell us your opinions on it? tia
Old 05-03-10, 04:21 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

YES, i did consider them with there road and track series but they were not available. I am currently waiting on my new setup which is KW competition series. ITs basically a one off. the problem our car does is oversteer real bad with any other coilover setup if you push it super hard. if you are just tracking the car for fun or learning the KW's and the KW's i am selling that are on pending work amazing. But once you go to a different tire and brake compound and all out time racing the car is pushed hard thus giving the car major oversteer that the Diff cant correct. Our car rolls bad in the turns so a heavy front spring and damping helps out big time..
Old 05-03-10, 08:16 PM
Ekorre
Rookie

YES, i did consider them with there road and track series but they were not available. I am currently waiting on my new setup which is KW competition series. ITs basically a one off. the problem our car does is oversteer real bad with any other coilover setup if you push it super hard. if you are just tracking the car for fun or learning the KW's and the KW's i am selling that are on pending work amazing. But once you go to a different tire and brake compound and all out time racing the car is pushed hard thus giving the car major oversteer that the Diff cant correct. Our car rolls bad in the turns so a heavy front spring and damping helps out big time..
track dood, forgive me if i missed it, but when you changed the diff, did you change the final drive ratio at all, and if no, do you think you ever might want to change the ratio?

I know the //M guys love going to 3.91 or even a 4.10 gear, which really makes quite a difference. Considering the F has 8 gears anyways and decent mileage in the higher gears, , i wonder if it would be a good mod?
Old 05-03-10, 08:19 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

yes and no.. the power band at 2nd and 3rd gear on our v8 is great. the RPM is killing me since i can hold the rev's. My M3 had all that too but the RPM just kept going and going, our 6800k is killing me.

Quick Reply: REMOVAL OF OEM DIFF UNIT and OS GIKEN UNIT REPLACEMENT