IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

burn out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 08:22 PM
mrduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burn out?

When I am on the track whats the best way to warm up my tires?
On burn outs do you step on the brakes then push the gas?
Or do you put in neutral, rev it, then throw it into d?

How do you guys do burn outs?
Old 03-28-10, 08:35 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake and Gas... is the way i do... throwing in D is probably not good for tranny i think..
Old 03-28-10, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

brake and press on the gas

throw from neutral into d when car is reving high, that's a really bad idea

but before you do any of these, make sure you turn off your vsc/vdim, otherwise i don't know if they would kick in and kill power
Old 03-28-10, 09:11 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rev to around 5500 then drop in D! dont forget to video it! i wanna see what happens! better yet rev to 6500.
Old 03-28-10, 09:12 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
brake and press on the gas

throw from neutral into d when car is reving high, that's a really bad idea

but before you do any of these, make sure you turn off your vsc/vdim, otherwise i don't know if they would kick in and kill power
AFAIK (owning an IS350) even with the vsc/vdim on it will still do a burnout but you cannot drag it out the second you move the car up an inch or let off the brakes it will kill all power
Old 03-28-10, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
AFAIK (owning an IS350) even with the vsc/vdim on it will still do a burnout but you cannot drag it out the second you move the car up an inch or let off the brakes it will kill all power
ah gotcha, good info.
Old 03-29-10, 05:55 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrduck
When I am on the track whats the best way to warm up my tires?
On burn outs do you step on the brakes then push the gas?
Or do you put in neutral, rev it, then throw it into d?

How do you guys do burn outs?
NEVER attempt to heat a pair of street tires, you are ONLY wasting rubber! These tires are meant to dissipate heat, and you will NOT build any positive temperature in them buy spinning them. BTW what you are referring to is called a "Neutral Drop" and I can't think of a better way to destroy a transmission or rear differential! AKA DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-10, 07:20 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Keep it in drive and do a slight burnout to get the best results on street tires. Nothing longer than a few seconds and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-10, 11:30 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
rev to around 5500 then drop in D! dont forget to video it! i wanna see what happens! better yet rev to 6500.
haha..lets hope the OP is still under factory warranty if he tries this..
Old 03-29-10, 11:53 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

LOL.

can anyone say KABOOM?!!!!!!!
I'm thinking our trannies would probably take the abuse (for a while anyway), but I wouldn't advise finding out. It's bad enough doing 'brake burns'..

For sure turn off the VDC using the 'pedal dance' method and you should be good to go.

Good luck at the races - kick some butt.
Old 03-29-10, 12:09 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
NEVER attempt to heat a pair of street tires, you are ONLY wasting rubber! These tires are meant to dissipate heat, and you will NOT build any positive temperature in them buy spinning them. BTW what you are referring to is called a "Neutral Drop" and I can't think of a better way to destroy a transmission or rear differential! AKA DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!
this is SO true!!!
back in the day we were chosen by a popular magazine to do tires testing at the track (drag radials vs street radials) and we found that doing burnouts with street tires makes your launch worse. it really depends on the compound you're using but for the most part, do not do a burnout...also, DO NOT run through the water box as well.

Last edited by HyperMKIV; 03-29-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 01:38 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
this is SO true!!!
back in the day we were chosen but a popular magazine to do tires testing at the track (drag radials vs street radials) and we found that doing burnouts with street tires makes your launch worse. it really depends on the compound you're using but for the most part, do not do a burnout...also, DO NOT run through the water box as well.
+1, Just drive around the water box and let it rip. Unless you are running drag radials no burn out is necessary.
Old 03-29-10, 02:09 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ming15237
I have heard this before and I have tried both ways (no burn out and with a burn out). I have found without a burnout I lost about 2/3 10ths of a second on my 60'. There is DEFINITELY NO reason to think you're John Force and smoke up the whole drag strip! But in my experience with drag racing my car burning out to about 3500-4000RPM then spinning the tires for 15-20ft works well for me. Doing this helped me achieve my 1.7 60' in my IS350 on hankook street tires.
Old 03-30-10, 05:29 PM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

But if your like me and you want to put on a smoke show just let it rip after a while they will heat up trust me getting ready to shift to 5th and you hear the motor start to bog down you know they are gettting sticky haha.
Old 03-31-10, 06:16 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll bet that nothing will happen! I would think that the nanny would not allow the trans to engage, just like throwing it into reverse when rolling down the highway in drive.

Koz

Quick Reply: burn out?