IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

new ISF owner, but one gripe...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 09:23 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new ISF owner, but one gripe...

I love my new F, but, this is one of my only gripes with my new IS-F.....

for how much money the car cost, how much research and development went into it, and how detailed oriented they were why couldn't they do something with the engine bay.....

I mean, the plastic cover thing looks "ok" but I wish they would have left it a little more RAW, like if anyone has ever seen the Honda S2000 engine bay, with the bright red valve cover, or the Acura Integra Type R, with the RED valve cover... And these cars were like half the price, like something like the corvette engine bay??

I wish they would have cleaned up some of the wires, and hoses a bit, and left the valve covers exposed and intake manifold spruced up, with like 2 bright blue valve covers saying ISF on them or something?

Is there anything besides painting the stupid plastic thing, or getting a carbon fiber one I can do to make my engine bay look more "racey"????

if someone can post a pic of the S2000, or Integra R engine bay youll know what I mean( i dont know how to post pictures)
Old 03-30-10, 09:36 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost ALL car manufacturer's are going with this clean plastic look all over the engine bay....
Old 03-30-10, 09:44 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Originally Posted by verals05
Almost ALL car manufacturer's are going with this clean plastic look all over the engine bay....
I know, but was just hoping for something a "little more" than the giant piece of plastic, like maybe two smaller pieces, lol, with a nice looking intake manifold design in between?
Old 03-30-10, 09:45 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

The spider web harness isnt that appealing IMO
Old 03-30-10, 09:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by matadorBP2
I love my new F, but, this is one of my only gripes with my new IS-F.....

for how much money the car cost, how much research and development went into it, and how detailed oriented they were why couldn't they do something with the engine bay.....

I mean, the plastic cover thing looks "ok" but I wish they would have left it a little more RAW, like if anyone has ever seen the Honda S2000 engine bay, with the bright red valve cover, or the Acura Integra Type R, with the RED valve cover... And these cars were like half the price, like something like the corvette engine bay??

I wish they would have cleaned up some of the wires, and hoses a bit, and left the valve covers exposed and intake manifold spruced up, with like 2 bright blue valve covers saying ISF on them or something?

Is there anything besides painting the stupid plastic thing, or getting a carbon fiber one I can do to make my engine bay look more "racey"????

if someone can post a pic of the S2000, or Integra R engine bay youll know what I mean( i dont know how to post pictures)

Just remember, you're dealing with Lexus here.
Old 03-30-10, 09:54 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
Just remember, you're dealing with Lexus here.
i know its lexus, hence, why i was expecting a little nicer looking engine bay, i know all their cars have that plastic crap, but being that, with this car, they are overturning a new leaf, i has hoping for something better looking, and a little sportier i guess, no big deal, was just hoping for an alternative to painting the cover, or getting the carbon fiber replacement?

I mean, the LFA, looks decent, but of course for 375k i would imagine it would, at least the plastic on that one appears to be functional? maybe its not plastic?
Old 03-30-10, 10:40 PM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

It has to do with the Luxury side of the car. The plastic is a clean look not racey look or a muscle car look. It has to do with the sleeper look and people still not knowing what it is. Its kinda like showing up in a tux to a dinner rather than jeans and boots... BMW is the same way.
Old 03-30-10, 10:45 PM
zenbert
Driver

matador, fair opinions. i think the F does require some surgery to cater to individual tastes which isn't a bad thing, but toyota may had an ambivalent moment when F was born--imho.

i love my F; it's so unnatural as a lexus. even in it's stock form, it exhibits it's brutish side when you punch it hard. the ride can be harsh, particularly for someone expecting the sedated lexus ride. i think in the end, from a release to production to the masses, there were some compromises as 'many' of the parts are standard IS or IS look alike, but the ride is anything but tamed... i'm sure the skunk work team had to compromise a bit to keep their dream alive. :-)
Old 03-30-10, 11:05 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

..... so, ricky martin admitted he's gay....
Old 03-30-10, 11:17 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i never really liked the all plastic covered engine bay either.. i remember seeing nothing but plastic in the engine bay when the rx8 came out
Old 03-31-10, 04:53 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, is that even news?
wasnt he always gay
hahaha
Old 03-31-10, 04:55 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

He's officially "Livin la vida loca!" lmao

Welcome to CL!
Old 03-31-10, 09:48 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lexus is trying to compete against companies like MB, BMW and the like...which all pretty much do the same thing

the S2000 and other cars like those do not because they are targeting a totally different market, hence the totally diff look...
Old 03-31-10, 10:59 AM
USBM2011
Driver

I agree, i love my F, love the way it rides, handles, everything, its just when i take someone for a ride, when we get back theyre like "damn that was fast, let me see whats under the hood" then i pop the hood, and they go, "sure is a lot of plastic, cant even see anything", lol, itd be cool to be able to show off that bad *** engine ya know? instead of popping the cover off and seeing millions of hoses and wires everywhere.

Its more like wearing a nice tux to a dinner, with the wrinkled up shirt, or nasty underwear with holes in it underneath the nice tux. haha

The s2000 engine bay reminds me of a half a ferrari engine, haha, which to me exudes nothing but class and pure adrenaline.

another good example of what im talking about is the Audi RS4 engine bay. thats a perfect comparison, its like audi went the extra mile to clean up the bedroom, where are lexus just through all the crap under the bed, or in the closet and shut the door, lol

ah well, cant have everything i guess. still love my car though!

Last edited by USBM2011; 03-31-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 11:08 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matadorBP2
I agree, i love my F, love the way it rides, handles, everything, its just when i take someone for a ride, when we get back theyre like "damn that was fast, let me see whats under the hood" then i pop the hood, and they go, "sure is a lot of plastic, cant even see anything", lol, itd be cool to be able to show off that bad *** engine ya know? instead of popping the cover off and seeing millions of hoses and wires everywhere.

The s2000 engine bay reminds me of a half a ferrari engine, haha, which to me exudes nothing but class and pure adrenaline.

another good example of what im talking about is the Audi RS4 engine bay. thats a perfect comparison, its like audi went the extra mile to clean up the bedroom, where are lexus just through all the crap under the bed, or in the closet and shut the door, lol

ah well, cant have everything i guess. still love my car though!
nice post and comparison...

Quick Reply: new ISF owner, but one gripe...