IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 10:22 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty

I have noticed that that all the 250/350 extra underbody braces, camber kits, swaybars and other underbody goodies that aren't suppost to fit the ISF; in fact do. We had a few GTSPEC/TOMS/Hotchkis parts from few IS350's in the shop, we mounted them all on the ISF's underside with great ease (Parts: V braces, both front mount braces, rear brace, front member brace,6 link, and both swaybars).

The ISF drove much tighter, especilly in higher speed turns; bodyroll was greatly reduced... maybe a bit too much. The car also planted the tires better from a low speed launch. I do understand the improvement is mainly the swaybars working.

So the question is will the 2IS F Sport shocks swap over to the ISF's mounting locations using aftermarket springs? What is so different about the ISF's shock bodies, compared to the F Sport shocks, that they will not work.

Looking to change the shocks to a better set with aftermarket springs, but do not want to use a coilover system.
Old 04-01-10, 12:54 AM
diablo2184
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this would be great information. this thread should be what brand parts do fit the IS-Fs if you have installed them....
Old 04-01-10, 05:22 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

they fit but will not work due to the weight differences
Old 04-01-10, 05:53 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think the shock will matter and will help. You won't be able to use the F-Sport springs b/c of the weight diff. ^^^^^^
Old 04-01-10, 07:20 AM
TinCan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diablo2184
this would be great information. this thread should be what brand parts do fit the IS-Fs if you have installed them....
Yes, all the parts in the first post are installed on the ISF.

Originally Posted by HKS350
I don't think the shock will matter and will help. You won't be able to use the F-Sport springs b/c of the weight diff. ^^^^^^
I was not talking about using F-Sport Springs, just the F Sport shocks. I would use the Tein springs with the shocks.
Old 04-01-10, 09:25 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

This is great information. I'm not sure if the FSport shocks have a softer vs harder dampening compared to the stock ISF shocks. I think one of the things that would be great for those who don't want to go all out coilovers is to be able to change out the shocks and springs (Eibachs vs other). I feel coilovers are great but take away from the daily drivability of the car...Darshana S...
Old 04-01-10, 09:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ The F-Sport Front & Rear shocks were not designed for the IS-F model

IS350 curb weight = 3,527 lbs & IS-F curb weight = 3,780 lbs

You can also ready more regarding the tuning of the IS-F suspension here:

Lexus IS-F Suspension Story

I always felt the shock towers were in the same location.. That’s if you confirmed that you installed an IS350 Shock tower bar on an IS-F..

If that’s true all they did was rework some of the engine bay metal, stretched the fenders out and put wider front hubs to balance everything.. along with a whole bunch of other stuff to squeeze the V8 in there..

Joe Z
Old 04-01-10, 09:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Supraman16
..... I feel coilovers are great but take away from the daily drivability of the car...Darshana S...
Then you have never driven an IS-F with coilovers....

They actually make the IS-F a whole lot better as a daily driveable car..

Joe Z
Old 04-01-10, 10:09 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread, I would be interested in some of the chassis braces for this car, do you have any pictures of the underside of the car.

As for the F-sport shocks, those would NOT work properly if you want them to dampen properly. I had BCRacing coils meant for a ISx50 on my IS-F and both the spring rate/improper internal valving of the shock body contributed to my car always bottoming out even on soft bumps

I swapped it out to properly valved KWV3's designed for the IS-F and more issues!

I would not recommend any ISx50 suspension products for the IS-F, just not happening but the braces would be a welcome addition.

thanks for the informative post!
Old 04-01-10, 10:12 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Then you have never driven an IS-F with coilovers....

They actually make the IS-F a whole lot better as a daily driveable car..

Joe Z
I think from my experience with my Supra, it made it much more responsive but more harsh. I want a good compromise between handling and comfort for the ISF. I have read a lot of people saying that coilovers make the F a better drivable, but yeah, I definately want to ride in a ISF with coilovers before I go down that route. So what do you say Joe? ...Darshana S..
Old 04-01-10, 10:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I think from my experience with my Supra, it made it much more responsive but more harsh. I want a good compromise between handling and comfort for the ISF. I have read a lot of people saying that coilovers make the F a better drivable, but yeah, I definately want to ride in a ISF with coilovers before I go down that route. So what do you say Joe? ...Darshana S..
Just let me know if your off later today.. or call me

I might get out of work earlier than usual.

Also, it gives me an excuse to check out your wheels in person.. LoL

Joe Z
Old 04-01-10, 10:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Concerning the F-Sport Sway Bars. See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-and-is-f.html

In short, they both fit, but the F-Sport and the F have the same front OD Bar, so a change would be of no benefit, except, maybe, for the bushings which are stiffer on the F-Sport. The rear bar of the F-Sport is 19mm and F's rear is 17mm, and the F-Sport rear bar does stiffen things up a bit.

Lou
Old 04-01-10, 10:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCan
...So the question is will the 2IS F Sport shocks swap over to the ISF's mounting locations using aftermarket springs? What is so different about the ISF's shock bodies, compared to the F Sport shocks, that they will not work.

Looking to change the shocks to a better set with aftermarket springs, but do not want to use a coilover system.
The shocks will indeed bolt up, but keep in mind they weren't valved for the IS F, which not only has a different curb weight but a different F/R weight distribution than the 2IS as well. You run the risk of bottoming out your shocks if the valving can't support the increased weight on that corner. I personally know an IS F owner who tried to use the 2IS Tein CS coilovers on the IS F, and the coils couldn't properly support the IS F's weight. I'd stick with the IS F stuff.

Javier
Old 04-01-10, 01:08 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

Here are the pics... Note: the TOMS 6 link is on there, just no pictures mounted on the car.
Attached Thumbnails 2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p3300011.jpg   2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p3300012.jpg   2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p3300018.jpg   2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p3300015.jpg   2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p3300019.jpg  

Old 04-01-10, 01:14 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

This is a side shot of the two front mounts
Attached Thumbnails 2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty-p4010027.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2IS ISF Part Swap Compatibilty