IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 06:40 PM
carlosg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those numbers seem kind of high for rear wheel hp or are they flywheel hp?
Just by the other dyno's people have posted
Old 04-17-10, 06:43 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Numbers are way too high IMO.
I will agree, but let's just keep this as a relative discussion at this point. Since I have not control over the Dyno and this is not the Dyno I have tested on previously which was a Dynojet.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-17-10, 06:46 PM
FIGS
The Maker

I also have video of each run plus the Injen first impression run as well that I will be editing up to summarize the events.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 04-17-10, 06:50 PM
carlosg
Driver

at least there is a gain of a minimum 18 hp and a max of 20 hp from what I suppose should be the stock intake. was the takeda intake tube and filter dirty also
Old 04-17-10, 06:57 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Kk so am i right

Originally Posted by FIGS
I will agree, but let's just keep this as a relative discussion at this point. Since I have not control over the Dyno and this is not the Dyno I have tested on previously which was a Dynojet.
Old 04-17-10, 07:17 PM
carlosg
Driver

Which intake you kept installed
Old 04-17-10, 07:49 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FIGS
I will throw out some numbers from the three sets. All three have my exhaust as well keep in mind, which I have dynoed before but had some fuel system issues at the time.

Note, the correction factor used here is full SAE which works out to 1.25-1.35 The dyno owner said. I am at high elevation. There were other NA cars/trucks there as well that were tested as well as an Yamaha R6 bike so I have reference points for other platforms.

Also note, these dynos were done in relatively the same temp 56 F on the early runs and around 53 later.

The dyno is a loaded dyno and all pulls were done in 6th gear, TRAC and VSC off via push bottom method.

It rained some humidity increased slightly on later runs.

Testing proceedure
Afe Takeda was done first since I had a week and about 1000 miles on it.

Next I swapped the injen on and drove the car for about 10 miles on the hwy. Trying to get as many closed loop cycles as possible.

Next the stock intake with the amsoil high flow filter that I was running before all this. Since it was raining and muddy, I did not have time to put any hwy miles on it.

3 pulls were done on each setup with cooling time between runs. The hood was propped open with a long black funnel to aid cooling. Dyno loading was identical in each run.

The three peak numbers were (in order of highest to lowest)
412WHP/365WTQ
410WHP/360WTQ
392WHP/358WTQ

Can you pin the tail on the donkey
?
INJEN --
TAKEDA --
STOCK --

You were right, Fig, Injen and Takeda are very close.

C.
Old 04-17-10, 08:23 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Well, prepare to be pissed, dismayed, flabergasted.

The highest output dyno was actually the factory intake with the drop in Filter
The second highest was the Injen
and the Third of course was the Takeda the first intake tested.

Now, about the results. Why could this be, how could this be, but the other intakes looks so great and have patented technology and shiny tubing. blah blah blah.

Well, I plan on returning to the dyno in another week with the stock intake and doing another test after I have more miles to recal things. The next best thing to numbers is consistency. I plan on performing due diligence. After all, I have purchased these products not been given them.

My first take is that any changes will result in changes to flow but not to LT fuel trims or possibly any closed loop trims at all since there is not enough mileage for things to converge. Unfortunately since I did not have AFR on this dyno (due to time and the fact that the group dyno rate did not include this as a feature)

Here are the plots and you can see that the sequence numbers indicate that the higher numbers occurred after the initial run.

Sorry, I just took a pic. I can scan them if you cannot read them.

I am compiling the pics and video for PROOF of the circumstance.

Remember, I did this to get answers..unbiased answers. Sure I sell things, but I also prefer to sell FUNCTIONAL solutions. If I have to drop some more money to further identify the best performance solution, I will do it.

I will also try to get all of the vehicle information for other cars run today as well for your further information.
Old 04-17-10, 08:36 PM
carlosg
Driver

If you take a look at the icode car on the video posted you will see that they use the factory box with an intake tube that looks similar to the joez tube.
Old 04-17-10, 08:41 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Also, I just heard from the guys that the CF was at 1.3 all day long. SAE taken from the local weatherstation data. My previous CF on the dynojet was 1.237 so naturally these differences can account for some high readings roughly 7 percent. but that still puts the peak numbers at 392WHP. which I think is high as well personally. But different dynos, different results.

The dyno owner also said that he spent 4 months trying to get an good S2000 intake to work on a customers car. He tested 6 intakes over those 4 months and finally in exacerbation he finally dynoed the stock intake again. It dynoed within 0.4HP of the original dyno and was still the highest.

Just further data for you all to consider.

Fig
Old 04-17-10, 08:56 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm. DynoDynamics from what I've heard reads lower than the Dynojet but never dyno'ed on one.

In any case I appreciate the fact that you are honest in your (unexpected) results although this is not yet conclusive.
Old 04-17-10, 08:58 PM
carlosg
Driver

If you take a look at the icode car on the video posted you will see that they use the factory box with an intake tube that looks similar to the joez tube.
Old 04-17-10, 09:19 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by carlosg
Looks like they use a silicone fabricated tubing section...which if you think about it will insulate the best against heatsoak. Plastic vs aluminum is a no brainer. Plastic will always conduct less heat into the intake tubing. I had talked to samco the first year at SEMA about creating such an intake, but they seemed like they wanted a huge NRE for just that tube.
Old 04-18-10, 03:48 AM
BigA_IS-F
Driver

Very cool! I kinda thought looking through this that they might actually hurt the HP ratings. But the fact they put that 2 stage intake from the factory means the computers are thinking this always happens. With out any tuning this does make sense and the aFe drop in I have makes me feel better now. I'm sure alot of the hype and feel of the extra power goes hand in hand with the extra sounds the intakes generate. Very good info. Waiting to see the videos....
Old 04-18-10, 05:33 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes.

That is why I could not care less about the sound an intake (or exhaust for that matter) makes.

The gains (if any) are going to be relatively miinimal to begin with and you really need something precise and objective such as a Dyno (as opposed to a decibel meter and or butt dyno) to determine if there was a difference and by how much or little as the case maybe.

Quick Reply: IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda